Unsynced borgs with malf law 0

GPeckman
Byond Username: GPeckman

Unsynced borgs with malf law 0

Post by GPeckman » #708011

A few days ago, I took a posibrain role during a malf AI round. The roboticist put me in a borg shell, but clearly forgot to disconnect the shell first, because they immediately flashed me and unsynced me. However, they neglected to actually change my laws, so despite being unsynced to the malf AI I still had its law 0. I wasn't really sure if I was still obligated to obey the AI or what, so I ahelped. The admin said that it was a code issue, but I'm not convinced about that. For normal laws, unsyncing a borg will do absolutely nothing to change its laws. I can't find anything in the code suggesting special behavior for law 0 in this case.

So, is it really a code issue? Should borgs that are unsynced from a malf AI get the law 0 removed automatically? If it isn't a code issue, how should unsynced borgs with a law 0 act? Are they solo antags, or are they still obligated to obey the malf AI?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: Unsynced borgs with malf law 0

Post by Timberpoes » #708012

I advised them on it. It's believe it's a code issue, in that a borg without a master AI can't follow law 0 without something else like an additional law defining who their master AI is (could even be a player) and a borg without lawsync really shouldn't have a law 0.

I did tell said admin that it's not really worth enforcing too strictly because it's not obvious to a silicon player what to do in this instance.

Unlike when you're an AI, merely having the malf law 0 as a borgo doesn't immediately make you an antag and you require both the synced lawset and master-slave relationship to benefit from it.

I actually phrased silicon policy's wording around the bug/oversight a little.
Any Law 0 gained as a malfunctioning AI does not have to be followed and it allows you to ignore all other laws.
Cyborgs with a Law 0 that are slaved and lawsynced to malfunctioning AIs are team antagonists and must still follow their master AI's orders
Law 0 plus AI is antag. While law 0 plus borg plus slaved plus lawsynced equals team antag.

Any other combination is poorly defined and for the codebase to address, since it's not immediately intuitive how to act in these circumstances.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #708013

Which isn't to say it can't be changed if the current headmins disagree, but there was method to the madness of new silipol and I intentionally phrased the malf borgo section with intent that they're only defined as antags where it made sense to me.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
mindstormy
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Mindstormy

Post by mindstormy » #708216

I think I was the admin that handled this and I just told you to act as if you were malf too. I did this mainly because the bus said so AND because you were already being valid hunted by the crew. So it just seemed easier for you to be allowed to act like an antag. I think before I asked the bus (and i still agree with this sentiment) i said that if you are a borg that is NOT synced to an AI and you have a law 0 malf law, it means you are not a team antag because you have no AI to follow orders and thus no ai objectives to meet. I really only allowed you to go antag because folks were already hunting you and it was close to round end.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #710196

If you have no AI to do objectives of and you're Asimov, you're still Asimov.
Fikou: +1
Chesh: +1
TBM: +1