About borgs alerting possible emagging

firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

About borgs alerting possible emagging

Post by firecage » #108705

So whats the stance currently on borgs informing the crew that they are about to be emagged, since last time I got bwoinked for it(it was awhile ago though).

So basically, the guy locks me down in science, and begins dragging me away into a closed off location. When I see him take out his emag and open my panel, I alert the crew that I am about to be emagged. He does end up emagging me. I later get bwoinked and warned. Can't remember exactly what I was told. Something along the lines of don't meta/power game, don't ruin the game for the traitor.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: About borgs alerting possible emagging

Post by onleavedontatme » #108706

>don't follow your laws

A+ ruling by that admin
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #108707

Someone without proper credentials opening a borg's shit up in a secluded/hidden location and attempting to apply third party software is probably something the crew should hear about
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #108712

the guy was simply too obvious, emagging a borg is like a 5 second operation if you're good at it, and since he gave no explanation or anything it's only natural to be worried.

if he said "don't worry borg i'm just taking you to the RD, he was worried about you." and then drags you away, flashes you, emags you then whatever, but if he's going to be super shady about it and obvious yeah why not
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #108714

Well, he did either lock me down or flash me repeatedly(not 100% sure),take me to a secluded room. and when he emagged my cover and opened it, I did feel the need to inform the crew, unfortunately I got THIS close to a silicon ban.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #108718

No notes on whatever you are talking about so we no idea which admin you are even referring to and therefore if you think a jobban was going to happen but a note wasn't even applied, how big of a deal was it?
Cik

Post by Cik » #108722

firecage wrote:Well, he did either lock me down or flash me repeatedly(not 100% sure),take me to a secluded room. and when he emagged my cover and opened it, I did feel the need to inform the crew, unfortunately I got THIS close to a silicon ban.
you can't speak when flashed, so he's just an idiot and did it wrong.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #108789

you can still binary chat though, which is pretty gay if the borg is fast at typing.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #108814

Wouldn't that basically just lead to the AI blowing said borg, since emags aren't repairable or something? I don't actually know how borgs work with emags
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #108815

"Hey borg let me repair you."
"Oops sorry I hit you with the welder, let me repair your wiring"
"Oh sorry senpai my emag accidentally brushed against your insides"

"Hey borg we have hypercells/vtechs/something open it up nerd"
"Oh look I took your cell out now you are helpless against my throbbing sequencer"

Uncreative plebs.
Shaps wrote:Wouldn't that basically just lead to the AI blowing said borg, since emags aren't repairable or something? I don't actually know how borgs work with emags
I don't think AIs can blow emagged borgs anyway.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #108825

Yeah, AIs can only see borgs that are slaved to it.
Emagging unslaves it
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #108844

It would be awesome if emagged borgs still appear slaved to the AI, it's just that the lockdown and blow functions aren't working. And the borgs should be able to scramble his location like with suit sensors to give a false position.

That way the AI wouldn't instantly realize that a borg went rogue if it looks at the console screen. (I dunno how emagging affects the borg list the AI can always see).

I can't tell you how many times a "I just noticed my borg isn't slaved to me anymore" blew my cover early.

Similar thing about borg-cams... some wardens when they're bored observe borgs which can easily blow your cover as well.

But I know this isn't the thread for it and it's probably a necessary drawbacks because silicons are soooo overpowered...
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #108857

The "emagged borgs appear slaved" thing is actually kind of already there. An emagged borg shows up in your status tab. It's only if you click on the robotics control console that the emagged borg will be missing.

I've deliberately ignored this before because it seems extremely unsporting.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #112081

My opinion is that if you see someone trying to emag you, it is your duty to resist in any manner consistent with your lawset. For Asimov borgs, that is probably going to be stunning at most, yelling for help at least. You are free to resist and warn right up until you get your first emag text. Any intelligent antagonist knows to mitigate your ability to defend yourself before emagging you, and borgs are quite easy to disable. It is the same with any antag conversion attempt. Someone being kidnapped by cultists is free to resist until the rune is activated. You may run away from a Rev if you see him pull a flash out, and you may do the same if you know a gangster is trying to pen you. Cyborgs are and should not be any less resistant to being emagged.

I am not saying that a borg player SHOULD resist if it is not their will, but they should certainly be able to do so. Some players pretend to not suspect something to avoid ruining that antag's attempts, and that is fine, too.

Also, to clarify, Emagged borgs are not removed from the AI's status screen. I coded it this way so that AIs are not immediately tipped off.
Cik

Post by Cik » #112147

yeah, emagging an asimov borg is simple. just ask it to come with you to open a door in maint, flash and mag.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #112656

Seems kind of silly.

Law 3 makes it so you kind of have to report a possible emagging if you're aware it's going to happen, and if the crew hasn't proven to be murderous, there's no law 1 downside to outing the guy doing it.

Now, if he says "be quiet, borg" or any other permutation thereof, then yeah, you're kind of stuck.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #112660

Takeguru wrote:Seems kind of silly.

Law 3 makes it so you kind of have to report a possible emagging if you're aware it's going to happen, and if the crew hasn't proven to be murderous, there's no law 1 downside to outing the guy doing it.

Now, if he says "be quiet, borg" or any other permutation thereof, then yeah, you're kind of stuck.
No you aren't, being emagged lets you cause harm, you can't allow yourself to get emagged.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #112670

Isn't it too meta to outright assume you're going to harm people if emagged?
9 times out of 10, yes, you're going to be causing harm, but it feels wrong to know that from the get go.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #112672

No, its not meta.

We know ICly how emags work and what they do, including what laws are uploaded
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #112677

Takeguru wrote:Isn't it too meta to outright assume you're going to harm people if emagged?
9 times out of 10, yes, you're going to be causing harm, but it feels wrong to know that from the get go.
It's not meta because there isn't "9 out of 10". There is only "You can't do harm" and "You can do harm". And as Asimov, you mustn't allow to anyone get harmed to the best of your abilities.

It's the same reason why I proudly self-terminate as AI when I'm about to get subverted by blatantly harmful elements, which now I think of it, you could do as borg as well.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #112690

I don't think there's any disagreement that borg has to try to at least communicate about the intentions. 99% borgs don't have time to do that since emagging is relatively fast and easy to do so it won't become a huge problem of "Emagging borgs is impossiburu", this was just a fringe case equal to captain making stationwide announcement about making wizard non-human and then wondering why AI has bolted upload.