Being a shitter after being demoted

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Being a shitter after being demoted

Post by bandit » #141570

How much leeway should people who get demoted have to fuck with the person who demoted them, up to and including theft/murder? I can see both sides to this:

1. Theoretically -- THEORETICALLY -- the entire "IC consequences" system relies on there being an ability to demote people who are being shit, insubordinate, a burden on everyone else, etc. Unfortunately, this happens comparatively rarely because too many people see demotion as their head handing them a great big license to griff. Depending on the department, heads of staff may also be relatively undefended. One of the reasons I hate playing head of staff is because if I have to demote someone then I know I'm going to spend my entire round having to defend myself from their stunprod-and/or-illicit-access-based-griff. (They also tend to create more work for admins.)

2. That said, this is one of the few genuine sources of conflict that does not revolve around antags, and in extreme cases like mutiny make for some of the more interesting rounds. Do we really want to get rid of that?

So yeah, I'm not sure where I personally stand on this after thinking about it, no matter how annoying it is. Hence this topic.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Being a shitter after being demoted

Post by Anonmare » #141575

Killing someone *just* for demoting you is too far in my opinion. Roughing them up and breaking their stuff is fine but don't kill the bugger. Unless you're an antag in which case do what the fuck you want
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #141576

Anonmare wrote:Killing someone *just* for demoting you is too far in my opinion. Roughing them up and breaking their stuff is fine but don't kill the bugger. Unless you're an antag in which case do what the fuck you want
On the other hand, if you rough them up and break their stuff, that lets them escalate to murder.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #141578

If someone is being demoted then there's usually a damn good reason for it, usually due to said person being utterly not only incompetent but hostile and malicous.

Now you want to actually give a way for someone to IC escalate something to assault and murder by being maliciously incompetent?

Can I demote the OP?
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #141581

When possible I always try to limit revenge of any sort, including for demotion, to material damage only, minimal theft and no bodies. Smashing the entire brig front with an axe, welding all the doors, that sort of thing.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #141584

You being a shit head gets you demoted, thus you justify that to be even MORE of a shit head?

Maybe demotions should just place you into the Gulag, save us all the trouble.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #141590

Steelpoint wrote:You being a shit head gets you demoted, thus you justify that to be even MORE of a shit head?

Maybe demotions should just place you into the Gulag, save us all the trouble.
I've seen demotions for 'Not doing R&D right', 'Using the labor camp on a traitor', and 'Because you're a faggot'
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #141593

Adminhelp them for abusing their head authority and maybe they'll get a head jobban. Dealing with it IC gives the impression that FNR demotions are acceptable.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #141604

Thunder11 wrote:When possible I always try to limit revenge of any sort, including for demotion, to material damage only, minimal theft and no bodies. Smashing the entire brig front with an axe, welding all the doors, that sort of thing.
You're the reason why when I fire someone from sec its either firing them handcuffed out the mass driver or pressed against the bulk head for a death by firing squad
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #141628

Depending if you were demoted for a valid reason or not. For instance, stripping all access from a random engineer and giving him a fucktarded name FNR? Valid as salad for the engineer, imho.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #141636

80% of people I demote instantly start to disarm/punch me as soon as I remove their cuffs.

Since I often play security I just throw them in the gulag for 500 points for assaulting an officer.

80% of those put in the gulag that way go braindead or suicide within a minute.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #141705

It takes like 20 minutes to get 500 points from the gulag. That's almost half of most rounds, so it's more appropriate to just gib people than gulag them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #141713

Zilenan91 wrote:It takes like 20 minutes to get 500 points from the gulag. That's almost half of most rounds, so it's more appropriate to just gib people than gulag them.
If it takes you 20 minutes to fill 500 points its a bad case of doing it wrong.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #141715

If you breach a cave literally the entire gulag dies because there are no space suits and it isn't pressurized, so you have to go around all the caves and hope there isn't any gibtonite in your way, otherwise it's a slow, unavoidable death.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #141716

or you can just dig sand and get 1000 points super fast.

Also the OP is asking the wrong question.
It's all about context.

If you get demoted for no good reason (doing your job but in a way your head does like, for example a different cryo mix or whatever), would make getting some form of revenge on them A-ok.
If you're being a shit/not doing your job, and get demoted for it, if you decide that's valid reason to assault your head or whatever, then really you should be perma'd for being a massive shitter, if not banned for griefing/kill-baiting or whatever.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #141776

Zilenan91 wrote:It takes like 20 minutes to get 500 points from the gulag. That's almost half of most rounds, so it's more appropriate to just gib people than gulag them.
Dig 9 squares of rock --> Dig out sand.

Repeat.

If you aim your digging towards patches of iron then it'll take like... maybe 5 minutes.

Noone tell the sec officers this though they might use the gulag even less somehow.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #141781

I think you mean, "no one tell the shitlers", otherwise they might actually earn their freedom rather then just suiciding and saving sec a headache later.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #141801

Demotion in itself is a form of IC escalation, but I find being a shitter to the person who demoted you is in extremely bad taste and just terrible sportmanship. Especially if it's just a continuation of whatever you did that got you demoted in the first place, then it's a case of "durr my character is just so crazy".
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #142662

The proper way to demote someone is to bait them into attacking you and then strip stun and space them.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #143383

~ShadowDimentio's EZ Guide to Dealing with Shitters~

1: Dumb Player Tier) If someone is being a shit, tell them to fuck off and stop being shit. Remove them from the area via disposals or stuns/cuffs if avaliable and needed. Do NOT steal their equipment unless you need it.

2: Greytider Tier) If they keep being a shit, beat them up until they run off and hopefully stop being shit. Security may throw a shitfit about this so witnesses should stay handy.

3: Hardcore Shitter Tier) If it continues, force them to stop by stealing 'confiscating' what they're using to be shit, be that their ID or equipment. Crit them if needed but take them to medbay after.

4: Buttblasted Powergamer Tier) If they come back after that, they've become shit beyond redemption. Permanently remove them from the round via your local airloack, incinerator, or gibber. Make sure no borgs are around to interfere.

Skip down the list as the shittiness scales up, but save the most severe punishments for those who most severely need it. Most shitters stop far before they must be forcefully ejected from the round via airlock.

Most importantly: Don't stoop to their level. You aren't the shitter, they are. If you fail and manage to fall at the hands of the shitter, being buttblasted is expected, but keep it to deadchat.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #143490

also you can just call security (or a secborg)

if they hurt you, call the cyborg valid police to clean them up

ez
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #143624

Cik wrote:also you can just call security (or a secborg)

if they hurt you, call the cyborg valid police to clean them up

ez
When 2 sides are accusing the other of being shit, it's very hard for security to tell apart who is actually being shit and handle the case. Also cases like that usually result in sentences of 2 minutes or so for "assault".