Lava Land (also a series of small mapping requests)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Lava Land (also a series of small mapping requests)

Post by onleavedontatme » #105031

(short video of ash storms/survival pods/earl pod launch)

Example of underground generation (without lighting obviously, and I need to add rocks to the edges of the ruin areas to make them appear less square). Want to tweak it further/add better ruins, maybe lakes/caverns, but you get the idea.
Spoiler:

Again keep in mind that this ruin is only a placeholder test.

So I actually did end up working on that migrant thing, or rather the planet related to it. This is an updated design document/progress list. If you're interested in helping out, skip to the bottom.

Lavaland (planet name please) is a new mining/exploration area spanning two Z levels (Z7, Z8) representing a surface and an underground.

The underground functions pretty much like old mining, save for the rivers/lakes of lava interspersed about, and randomly seeded ruins loaded in around it (more on that in a bit).

The underground is:

-Dark
-Hot (need a suit)
-Home to the mining outpost (and yes the shuttle lands here, explained visually by a large chasm/hole in the surface with landing lights around it).
-Home to the labor camp
-Plagued by rivers of lava - Lava river generation done, need to make Sticky's lava code a bit prettier, but mostly Done
-Home to the old mining monsters, though Ergo is working on more
-Seeded with random ruins such as cult temples, secret bases, whatever -Code for loading ruins done, ruins unmapped
-Baseturf is lava. That means bombing, releasing a singularity, etc, will result in large lakes of lava

Each base underground will also have an elevator (shuttle) leading to a corresponding outpost above ground, from which surface explorations can be launched. The surface is

-Bright
-Supportive of human life (at least atmos wise)
-Plauged by inclement weather - Done. Horrible burning ash storms will sweep in and kill those who can't find shelter in time.
-Riddled with holes and chasms, stumbling into which will drop you into the caves below - Done
-Home to the surface mining outpost
-Home to the prison station (surface laborcamp outpost). The prison station will be surrounded by chasms/bridges making it heavily fortified. I also plan for it to have at least one dead end bridge leading out over a pit so prisoners can walk the plank
-Seeded with a different pool of ruins, such as biodomes, destroyed surface outposts -Code for seeding ruins done, ruins unmapped
-Covered in monster nests, which function like much slower blob factories. The surface may not require a suit but it will require weapons to survive. Fighting a group of 4 goliaths defending their spawn point is not something you'll want to do alone - Done
-Home to all kinds of monsters. As it's a completely optional area with respawn mechanics coders will have more leeway to add OP bullshit. I told Ergo he could make his new monsters as strong as the original ones he did for mining.
-(Eventually, probably post "launch") the migrant base. Will act as a respawn (and die and respawn and die) mechanic.
-(Eventually, probably post "launch") home to a boss fight/dungeon that will require some sort of exploration/mining to unlock. Finally a reward for building all those mechs and guns. Killing the boss will place you on a round end report of boss killers. The boss will be related to the story of the planet/migrants.
-Pods will launch here midround. Triggering red or delta alert, or emagging an escape pod computer, will allow you to launch the pod to random coordinates on the planet. Pods on the planet will not launch round end. Pods have a wall mounted cabinet containing a pickaxe. - Done
-Baseturf is chasms. That means bombing will create holes people can fall into and the singularity is capable of stripping away the entire surface of the planet.

New items:
-Survival capsules. Capsules houses from dragonball. Throw the little pill and get an instant shelter - Done
-Laser Rifles/Laser Pistols with swappable, rechargable magazines - Done

To do:

-Lots of mapping (send help, even small 10x10 or 30x30 or whatever maps would be very much appreciated)
-Sanity checks for loading ruins so (limiting spawn locations so they don't hang off the side of the map if they spawn at the edge)
-Migrants
-Spawners that let ghosts act as ruin dwellers
-Boss fight

I'll try to record a video of launching to the surface and sheltering from a storm soon.

WHERE YOU CAN HELP

Map a "ruin." Could be an actual ruin, an alien base, syndicate outpost, destroyed mining area, secret lab, xeno nest, cult temple, crashed space ship, etc etc. Anything you can imagine (and map) really as long as it isn't fucking gigantic. Don't need to do anything special, doesn't need to be square, just leave an excess space filled with normal asteroid turfs. If you're up to it you could even code some gimmicky nonsense to include as a unique prize found only there. These are essentially miniature away missions found by exploring mining. Tell a small story, fill a temple with boobytraps or deadly monsters, whatever you want to do.

The idea of ruins is an easy way to add small amounts of new content/gimmicks without shoving everything into research or cargo. Some new weapon you made might not be balanced for RD every round, but it might fit right at home as a prize for exploration.

Do not use airless turfs. The planet doesn't exist in a vacuum. Use the /turf/simulated/floor/plating/asteroid variant

Anyway, Lavaland is happening soon(ish), would appreciate any input or help you guys may be able to provide.

DEEPEST LORE FOR SURFACE: An advanced civilization destroyed by the horrible cataclysm (maybe I'm being silly by trying not to spoil it immediately in an open source game) that resulted in the wasteland you're exploring now. Various factions have now moved in among the ruins of the planet to fight over the plasma/tech in the ruins.

DEEPEST LORE FOR UNDERGROUND: Anything you want. Who knows what ancient evils lurked beneath the surface?

Spoiler:
>BUT KOR HOW CAN PLASMA EXIST IN LAVALAND ITS FLAMMABLE ISNT IT?

It's SS13 aint gotta explain shit we already fucking smelt it anyway
I realize the screencaps might not look very exciting on their own, but I believe it's gonna be a lot of fun to play. Finding and exploring the ruins and interacting with the various migrants/aliens will be the interesting part, I've more or less only finished the framework/shell. I'm hoping people will be willing to help me fill it in
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Lava Land (also a series of small mapping requests)

Post by Remie Richards » #105032

hype
私は完璧
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105033

Triggering red or delta alert instantly launches the pods? And that means you don't get to escape? Wot?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #105035

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Triggering red or delta alert instantly launches the pods? And that means you don't get to escape? Wot?
Escape pods are now equipped with computers. The computers are admin locked (like the ferry) up until delta, which unlocks them, allowing you to launch them manually like any regular shuttle (though on a one way trip).

And no, if you take the pod to the planet, you won't count as escaping for round end purposes. In fact, anyone planetside counts as dead as far as objectives are concerned. Left out some words in the OP post, sorry.

Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105037

Oh boy, looks like people with Escape Alone are now up against literally the entire rest of the antag team instead of just the crew.

How does this new "can only greentext on the shuttle" tie in with the new maxcap? Is it balanced that an antag with "Die gloriously" should be able to insta-kill and deny greentext to every other antag player who was trying to escape?
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #105040

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Oh boy, looks like people with Escape Alone are now up against literally the entire rest of the antag team instead of just the crew.

How does this new "can only greentext on the shuttle" tie in with the new maxcap? Is it balanced that an antag with "Die gloriously" should be able to insta-kill and deny greentext to every other antag player who was trying to escape?
Several points

-You can still greentext on the pods. If the pod isn't launched early it will still go to centcomm Z at round end.

-Blowing up the escape shuttle for no reason as antag is just a thing that happens, I do it whether I have the martyr objective or not if I can get my hands on bags of holding.

-You can already deny greentext to every antag by emagging the shuttle half the time anyway, bombs aren't even required.

-Unless you order the AI to launch all empty pods (which would require a law change and I'm sure be bannable meta at some point) it requires a person to be in each pod that will likely die after launching it.

-Escape alone doesn't count other antags, you can still team up with them
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #105046

I like the escape pod concept, though in practice it's only going to be useful during Malf and Nuke Op rounds as a alternative way to GTFO the station before the nuke detonates.

Which to be fair is good, it was always a bit weird that you could never use the escape pods to actually escape the station short of a predetermined evacuation.

So I think that's a cool concept. I predict a lot of people crying for people to wait before launching the pods.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #105049

Kor wrote: Map a "ruin." Could be an actual ruin, an alien base, syndicate outpost, destroyed mining area, secret lab, xeno nest, cult temple, crashed space ship, etc etc. Anything you can imagine (and map) really as long as it isn't fucking gigantic.
honkhonk time to put my subpar mapping skills to use.
Spoiler:
Abandoned space diner, the plaque and paper give a vague idea to what happened but doesn't give any solid names or dates for added flexibility. Updated with air-turfs and added bathroom.

.dmm link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv4htihnyfku7 ... 1.dmm?dl=0
Last edited by MMMiracles on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #105070

Lava still needs to smooth with mineral walls, metal walls, plating, and floor.

I'm not seeing any of the pretty ember and special effects I made for the ash storms or ash fall in that video, which makes me sad.

There's still shitloads of work to do. We really do need help in the form of spriters and mappers, this is a giant-ass project. Some of the lists on what's needed can be found here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4109
Apparently I was an director or something.
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #105079

Name the planet Thrull and make the lava molten plasma.

That's all I got and all I can do, for you.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105084

I like the idea of molten plasma, actually. More unique than lava, and thematically appropriate
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #105085

Yeah I think we're a LITTLE far past throwing out all our volcanic world assets in favor of molten plasma lakes and whatever other alien world things people have in mind.
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #105089

Oops, by 'make' I meant re-name. Really more of a fluff thing than anything.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #105091

You could always just (actual heresy ahead) use a photoshop color filter on the lava sprites.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #105097

No I mean everything is already themed around volcano world stuff. The ash fall, ash storms, recently cooled and hardened basalt rocks everywhere, it doesn't fit terribly well with purple liquid plasma that would combust if we kept things all burned looking. The atmosphere is also meant to be really hot. It's survivable with a firesuit but too hot otherwise, plasma would ignite.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #105098

MMMiracles wrote: Why/how did a space diner end up on a lava rock?
Was not always a lava rock, I updated with a brief bit of LORE in the OP. Maybe I should just explain further/completely to make it easier on mappers.

Speaking of diners though I wanted to map a space ship/diner/hotel landed on the surface, The Bar At The End of the World, which tours apocalyptic/post apocalyptic events and would be inhabited by various (at a truce) factions enjoying their vacation.

Also I need to go get breakfast but thanks for contributing we should have a basic map pool rather quickly if people pitch in.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #105109

MMMiracles wrote:Stuff
Also I should have made this clear sorry. The map looks cool but I can't use it in it's current state because it's all vacuum.

Please use don't use airless turfs, use the non airless asteroid variant (/turf/simulated/floor/plating/asteroid), and make any plating have air etc.

Updated OP to reflect this.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #105130

Kor wrote:-snip-
Updated it with air turfs, should be good now.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #105230

will there be colonies of beautiful amazon women
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #105232

Cheridan wrote:will there be colonies of beautiful amazon women
Catgirls duh
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #105387

Wizard Dorms
Spoiler:
Small dorms for Wizard College, which used to be based as a small satellite around Lavaland. Students would have used a pod to fly towards the satellite. It was closed shortly afterwards for the College's decision to move the college into free space.

It is now a nest for Goliaths and other hostile creatures. In the hasty move, some students left their stuff here.

dmm file
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #105806

I got bored so I threw together another ruin.
Spoiler:
Crashed syndicate shuttle, all that remains are a few bits of syndicate gear and the bodies of the operatives who flew it. The crash has gathered interest in the local wildlife, so its not exactly easy pickings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yywp1o8bgmcar ... 2.dmm?dl=0
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105815

Small Alien Outpost that's abandoned, they tried their luck with a abducted xeno, it did not end well for them.
Spoiler:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nbddoghra6cqy ... e.dmm?dl=0
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105852

Scratch that I've redesigned it a bit to not look as horrid and look more like a permanent base instead of a landed ship.
Spoiler:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sarwci2sleo7f ... 2.dmm?dl=0
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #105860

I'll just go and ping whoever made the ayy equipment sprite that an airlock is probably needed.

(Also, infinite shame upon you for using the same floor tile every time.)
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #105861

PRISON STATION
R
I
S
O
N
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105865

There's more than one ayy floor tile? Well I'll be.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #105866

Ikarrus wrote:PRISON STATION
R
I
S
O
N
New Prison Station should be seperated into two levels, the security section on the surface (with the landing ship) and the prisoner section underground.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #105882

Biodome functional and destroyed
Spoiler:
Bio Dome.dmm.0.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x97hw6cpgiua ... e.dmm?dl=0
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #105893

Steelpoint wrote:Scratch that I've redesigned it a bit to not look as horrid and look more like a permanent base instead of a landed ship.
Spoiler:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sarwci2sleo7f ... 2.dmm?dl=0
Just need the inner walls to have that pink border.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #105940

I think it's the outer walls that are supposed to be all-black, yes.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #106228

Kor wrote: Escape pods are now equipped with computers. The computers are admin locked (like the ferry) up until delta, which unlocks them, allowing you to launch them manually like any regular shuttle (though on a one way trip).
I think there should be some way for the aspiring greyshirt to get on the pods and be launched without admin intervention or code delta.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #106243

Can the singularity just end up on the planet via travelling through space?

Also whats to stop the singularity from eating the underground of the planet
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #106250

Bombadil wrote:Can the singularity just end up on the planet via travelling through space?

Also whats to stop the singularity from eating the underground of the planet
1. No

2. Nothing. Underground turfs will break to lava instead of space though, so the singularity will leave behind a massive lake of fire.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #106275

Also the ruins are looking good, thank you everyone who is contributing.

I'm a bit worried about how multiple ruins that are nearing 30x30 are going to fit nicely in 255x255 though, especially with space taken up by the mining outpost, prison etc.

Larger dungeons/mazes will be somewhat impossible it seems.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #106299

It doesn't actually have to be 255x255, since it's not in the spacemap.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #106332

Kor wrote:Also the ruins are looking good, thank you everyone who is contributing.

I'm a bit worried about how multiple ruins that are nearing 30x30 are going to fit nicely in 255x255 though, especially with space taken up by the mining outpost, prison etc.

Larger dungeons/mazes will be somewhat impossible it seems.
Atleast its better than the old shitty mining rooms. I suppose you could add another z-level for solely mining as well which could fit these rooms etc
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #106380

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:It doesn't actually have to be 255x255, since it's not in the spacemap.
I can't make it infinitely large because of lighting/atmos/all the mobs though.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #106436

Keep in mind these ruins should be randomly generated every round anyway, so you don't need all the ruins on the map at once.

Makes exploration more rewarding and interesting every round too.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #106438

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:It doesn't actually have to be 255x255, since it's not in the spacemap.
I think the maps have to all be the same size.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #106442

Scott wrote:
I think the maps have to all be the same size.
Only if they are in the spacecube to make the transition borders make sense.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #106455

Kor wrote:
I can't make it infinitely large because of lighting/atmos/all the mobs though.
500x500 might work. It's just that the 255x255 really isn't all that huge on a big open plain. With a miner stimpack you could probbably run a circuit in under five minutes.

OTOH, I'm not sure how bad atmos and all the cool systems you're adding to the lava world will act with something that size.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #106488

No guys the maps literally do have to be the same size, to the point byond will fill in any missing turfs on the smaller maps with the default turf (which for us is /space)
so unless you want every other Zlevel in the game to scale up horribly and be off centred, please keep Lava land to 255x255.
私は完璧
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #106494

Remie Richards wrote:No guys the maps literally do have to be the same size, to the point byond will fill in any missing turfs on the smaller maps with the default turf (which for us is /space)
so unless you want every other Zlevel in the game to scale up horribly and be off centred, please keep Lava land to 255x255.
Shit I thought you could have levels outside the cube.

Can the lavaworld be four z-levels strapped together in a big square?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106495

That's how asteroid station used to work where the entire asteroid was four separate z-levels.

No idea if that's applicable here though.

Also good question, if you reach the end of the planet's z-level will there be a kind of insurmountable wall or will you just loop back around?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #106496

The edges of the planet can just be a large lava ocean/fuck huge chasms/mix of both
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #106500

Large ocean of lava seems great.
blobbernaut
Byond Username: Blobbernaut

Post by blobbernaut » #107272

I like the 4 z level plan. 255x255 seems pretty small.
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #107281

>ash storms

[youtube]FUatlXfy6K0[/youtube]
crack is whack but smacks got your back
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #107379

255x255 is actually quite a lot of space. If you feel that the asteroid is big, then this should be significantly larger.