Bring back lockboxes

A place to record your ideas for the game.
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Bring back lockboxes

Post by rdght91 » #109184

The firing pin thing is dumb, and greatly reduces the potential lethality (through player vs player actions, rather than dumb "u ded" stuff) of the station because traitors have no way of using guns unless they can break into the armory, in which case, why even bother. I don't know why we got rid of lockboxes for dangerous weapons and installed the firing pin system where it's impossible to actually get firing pins, but fuck that. Firing pins should be easy to make and lockboxes should prevent non-antags from shitstirring with guns.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Bring back lockboxes

Post by Scones » #109186

I like firing pins as a mechanic because they much more directly gate guns behind Security - All access does not mean all guns anymore, unless you are bold enough to retrieve the boxes from the likely guarded Armory.

Syndicate pins are a good handling for the current weapons, especially considering it's not super hard to repin them for station use.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #109187

My biggest issue is not being able to remove one pin and use it in another gun, It would just be so handy ya know? I mean, at that point, you already got a gun! why not?
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #109188

You can emag test range firing pins and they'll work at all times, how do people not know this by now
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #109208

Cant you remove firing pins with table crafting?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109213

Shaps wrote:You can emag test range firing pins and they'll work at all times, how do people not know this by now
Because not all antags are traitors, and not all traitors have emags.
What all antags CAN have however, is stealing all/armory access, to unlock lockboxes.

Also lockboxes were a cool and semi secure way to transport things.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109234

With lockboxes, changelings, cults, traitors, wizards, and nuke ops can access guns without leaving science, provided they have the proper equipment. With the required access on an ID to open the lockbox, any antagonist (except maybe blobs and malfs) can access them without leaving science.

With firing pins, traitors and nuke ops can access guns without leaving science provided that they have an emag, and that's it. Any other antagonist or anyone without an emag is going to have to trek down to the armory (which isn't exactly all that easy to get into) and pray that sec didn't secure the pins, or order more from cargo (which can take several minutes and requires at least cargo access).

It's fuckin' stupid. Bring back lockboxes when?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #109238

Should have just removed the stupid stun revolver instead of gating the guns behind cooperation with security.

All these cool guns in science and the only one that ever gets built is the xray during blob
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #109308

Bring back GunSci! The few things I do like about firing pins is that it allows non-antagonist Science players to build turrets, DA certain guns for tech level advancement, open nearly any ID locked crate with an Ion Carbine, and perfect the AE gun without bugging Sec or the HoP for armory access. But yes, it is a major nerf to both emagless antagonists AND (non-security) protagonists. Perhaps an ID checker pin can return things to normal?

Firing pins DID achieve their goal of gating Science guns behind Security (barring extreme measures/emag), and limiting the number of guns they can print. It is simply that this goal is no longer desired.
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #109312

It's these kind of things that have made the station "safe" in a boring way. We don't want killer singlos that eat the station up instantly, we, well, me, want more emergent, player driven hazards like guns and that sort of thing. The lockbox system still required some effort, not only to research the guns, but to at least steal a security ID or get ahold of a tool that can crack it.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #109314

The biggest problem with bringing back lockboxes is that goofballs machine upgrades give you literally unlimited gold/silver, not to mention incredibly large halls with the ore machine.

You could easily equip entire cults/revs/gangs with stun revolvers for the bare minimum of work.

Our resource system/economy has never been good but it was thrown out the window by that update
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #109336

Yes. Simply because it's fucking lunacy that you can have an all-access ID, the Captain's equipment and so forth, yet you can't get firing pins unless you're a traitor and buy an emag, because they're safely locked away in the armory, behind a warden that is always there or under a massive amount of points in cargo AND a locked crate, meaning no one is gonna order that shit. Especially since in order to get firing pins you have to either convince the HoS to give them to you, or be in the armory (in which case you can steal the fucking armory in the first place). It's also anti-fun to disarm a nukeop/DS and suddenly not be able to shoot their guns. I could understand if it was purchaseable thing for the former, but it isn't.

Poor design. Cheridan will never revert his precious baby, regardless of how sensible it is, though. Instead, he'll probably do something ineffectual that won't touch the problem he created like by decreasing the cost of pins in cargo, or allowing pins to be removed and reused from active weaponry. Then we'll have to suffer thourgh this shit for another few months before he makes himself look like a bigger chucklefuck than he already has in the past, then he'll backpeddle and we'll finally get it. Hopefully at least.

Literally the cancer killing the server.

Edit: In conjunct, we want to move away from rounds with fucknothing happening until someone mercifully allows singuloth to escape, plasma to flood, or the station gets bombed, because antags are severely outnumbered by validhunters alone, let alone sec/AI who also, alone, outnumber and outgear them. Lockboxes did their job, but didn't do it so well that suddenly it was impossible to acquire equipment. Four people on the station had access to that equipment - the Captain, the warden, the HoS, and the HoP (giving himself access), but it's viable to acquire one of their IDs to print weaponry, rather than it being almost entirely unviable to acquire them from the armory/cargo.

We want more chaos, more antagonism, more deaths. How the fuck is it fair that a scientist non-traitor antag can do 30 minutes of R&D and get fucknothing out of it, either because minerals are unavailable, or because no one will give them a firing pin. NVs are a toss-up, equip them and sec can just spam flashes like everyone does to utterly cripple you, or flashbang, AND they require minerals. Best thing they get is a BoH, which isn't helpful when you have nothing to fill it with or show for your 30 minutes of work, where genetics would have all the powers, viro a full suite of diseases, xenobio golems, robotics positronics, etc.

Kor wrote: The biggest problem with bringing back lockboxes is that goofballs machine upgrades give you literally unlimited gold/silver, not to mention incredibly large halls with the ore machine.

You could easily equip entire cults/revs/gangs with stun revolvers for the bare minimum of work.
... Which requires 40~ minutes of R&D to max it out in conjunct with the magical mineral faerie to come for anything of value to be made. Going for only stun revolvers with no upgrades will eat all the metal in R&D/robotics (sans the metal for a couple borgs) very quickly, then you have to steal an ID from one of the two most robust people on the station, or one of the two guys that very very very rarely leave their office AND in one case, not be seen at the arrivals checkpoint giving themselves access. How is this any different from genetics handing out hulk to every cult member, which doesn't seem to be a problem? Or virology giving out superhealing/stims/weight even/etc. probably at the same time as you'd get stun revolver tech? Heck, you could solve this by making the stun revolver cost a bit more metal, meaning the strategy would be 'functional' but it would eat up metal like mad and it would be risky to acquire for a cult/etc, but it would still be a viable strategy that would help the cult, but not make it a roll.

Keep in mind it was like this for fucking ever, and it was never a problem in the past.

The crusher needs nerfing though.
Last edited by Amelius on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #109339

Did you actually read what Kor said or are you just gonna keep up the anti-cheridan tirade?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #109340

"40+ minutes of R&D"

what server are you playing on
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #109341

Scones wrote:"40+ minutes of R&D"

what server are you playing on
To max it out and receive minerals, it takes 40-50 minutes, depending on competence of both and whether you have access to certain things, similarly if the miner doesn't bring home uranium or diamonds, or the roboticist takes them, you're fucked for research. You can save time by looting the AI upload if you're the RD and the AI will let you, of course. It's not simply to reach stun revolvers, which takes probably 10 minutes, roughly on par with my average time getting a triplestack flawless viro disease (13 minutes). FYI, mining typically comes home with minerals, if they are going to, at the 30 minute mark.

Keep in mind, getting one of those four IDs is fucking difficult. Attack the content of the post, don't cherrypick.
Last edited by Amelius on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AdenAbrafo
Byond Username: AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #109343

Firing pins work against the style of gameplay that the seeming majority wants to move towards. Why were they even added in the first place?
Just because a terrible coder messed up something codewise doesn't mean bad ideas should be kept in. Of course, those issues needs to be dealt with too.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
DEAD: Andrew Mitchell says, "LIONUS HAS ANGER ISSUES AND AUTISM"
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #109348

Can we not make this about individual coders? That will get us no where.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #109354

rdght91 wrote:Can we not make this about individual coders? That will get us no where.
Cheridan was the one that proposed lockboxes, and, being the headcoder he also is the sole one that controls whether or not it's reverted, since HG is gone. He was also the one that stripped of nuke op implants for 'RP purposes' in the same PR (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6925), then made them unremoveable (https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/8107); and, in the thread that had zero people defending him, everyone telling him to revert it, he even posted this nugget of gold:
Cheridan wrote:How is it that I'm the bad guy for "forcing" this shit upon people, but it's ok for people to force explosive implants upon me?

It's awesome that your opinion is worth more than mine!!
. Then he tried to delete the thread later.

This thread is useless and no matter how sound it is, nothing is gonna get reverted unless you force Cheridan to backpeddle like a madman, like he eventually did with explosive implants.

So yeah, it is about an individual coder.
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Post by Antimattercarp » #109382

Oh yay. Everyone knows that the whole departments need to rely on other departments is an important part of the game right?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109387

Kor wrote:The biggest problem with bringing back lockboxes is that goofballs machine upgrades give you literally unlimited gold/silver, not to mention incredibly large halls with the ore machine.

Our resource system/economy has never been good but it was thrown out the window by that update
this is in no way a bad thing, considering that as it stands security can easily equip their entire force + any trusted crewmen with a dozen SMGs and an advanced egun, with pins that only let them fire said guns
if sec can have all that crazy shit, why can't cults/revs/gangs?
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #109411

The crusher has nothing to do with that Kor.
Stun revolvers (unless they were changes) only use metal (and maybe glass).

Having firing pins instead of lockoxes just further cements the idea that you need an emag to do anything.
Emag being the exclusive catch all solution to all an antagonist's problems is shitty gameplay.

Bringing back lockboxes doesn't effect non antag gun usage really, since you typically need sec co-operation either way.
This is purely to help non emag traitors, which is the majority of them.
AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #109415

lumipharon wrote:The crusher has nothing to do with that Kor.
Stun revolvers (unless they were changes) only use metal (and maybe glass).

Having firing pins instead of lockoxes just further cements the idea that you need an emag to do anything.
Emag being the exclusive catch all solution to all an antagonist's problems is shitty gameplay.

Bringing back lockboxes doesn't effect non antag gun usage really, since you typically need sec co-operation either way.
This is purely to help non emag traitors, which is the majority of them.
This is a good reason to keep them.
Nick Elwood says, "brain your guitly of incompitence and sencected to public flogging and banishment"
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #109422

A quick reminder that you can easily bribe Cargo with a gun or two (to pop open crates) if they give you a firing pin box. Crack it open in the Test Lab firing range (with a testing range pin) and you're all set.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109742

>player interaction
>implying that's ever reliable or easy
>"b-but i did it once, that means you can do it every time forever!"
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #109788

Player interaction is all good and dandy for when I want to get my guns as a non antag.
In fact I do just that - either bribe cargo with guns for pins, or just rob the armory with a portal gun when no one's looking.

But for antags, if they've managed to steal the bloody all access, they deserve to be able to access a gun or 2.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #109797

Firing pins won't be made possible to remove. Which would let them A make sense and B be actually fun and interactive. This is because all civilian gun class weapons have them inbuilt so miners and scientists can just churn out generic pins and ALSO security would be totally able to remove the pins from their guns and replace them with stupid secure loyalty pins. This update needed to be totally restricted and lobotomised in this way because sadly the pin system could make standard security gear as secure as nuke ops kit. Sorta negates the point of the whole judge dredd locked guns system making it even more traitor biased than the old lockboxes system.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109799

Incomptinence wrote:Firing pins won't be made possible to remove. Which would let them A make sense and B be actually fun and interactive. This is because all civilian gun class weapons have them inbuilt so miners and scientists can just churn out generic pins and ALSO security would be totally able to remove the pins from their guns and replace them with stupid secure loyalty pins. This update needed to be totally restricted and lobotomised in this way because sadly the pin system could make standard security gear as secure as nuke ops kit. Sorta negates the point of the whole judge dredd locked guns system making it even more traitor biased than the old lockboxes system.
you can remove them, but you need a plasma cutter and the pin is destroyed in the process
sec can already upgrade their guns to have loyalty pins
this update is completely in favor of sec officers, are you kidding
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109969

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Incomptinence wrote:Firing pins won't be made possible to remove. Which would let them A make sense and B be actually fun and interactive. This is because all civilian gun class weapons have them inbuilt so miners and scientists can just churn out generic pins and ALSO security would be totally able to remove the pins from their guns and replace them with stupid secure loyalty pins. This update needed to be totally restricted and lobotomised in this way because sadly the pin system could make standard security gear as secure as nuke ops kit. Sorta negates the point of the whole judge dredd locked guns system making it even more traitor biased than the old lockboxes system.
you can remove them, but you need a plasma cutter and the pin is destroyed in the process
I haven't seen loyalty pins in a while, are you sure they are still in the game?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #110031

They exist, but you need Combat 6 to get them - that means combat shotguns.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #110068

People are talking about 'all access' like it's some gold standard of difficult things to steal.

In reality, it's incredibly variable. Either only the captain has it, or one crewman can get it and it'll spread like wildfire. It's not unusual for HOPs to hold an all access lottery, for example, and once some doctor has it they're much simpler to kill, or sometimes the clown will break into the office and quickly spread it with his buddies. When it's out, it's really out.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #110077

It's not that all access is super hard to get - it's that all access doesn't require a traitor only item (which not all traitor can or will have). Gating guns behind pins means you need either radi the armory (which is full of guns anyway), or to order them from cargo and open the crate without anyone telling sec.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #110083

PKPenguin321 wrote: you can remove them, but you need a plasma cutter and the pin is destroyed in the process
Well that is totally obscure so I had no idea it was a thing.

So yeah okay totally broken feature.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #110087

with lockboxes you didn't even need all access at all, you just took the crate to the firing range and shot at it with a gun that has a test firing pin.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #110088

Except that you can't break open lockboxes - neither with damage or emps, so no.
That only works on crates.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #110190

You can emag them open.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
AdenAbrafo

Post by AdenAbrafo » #110316

Connect firing pins to IDs instead, just add a new permission under the 'security' category. This makes no sense whatsoever and I have no idea how you could explain it but it would work gameplay-wise. I guess it even makes sense a little since if doors can automatically scan your id a gun can too.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #110391

DemonFiren wrote:You can emag them open.
And the entire point of this thread is the fact that not all antags have, or even have access to emags.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #110401

Exactly.

So lockboxes can fuck right off, you can pop a crate of firing pins with an EMP, a drill, or fuck-knows-why-you-need-them-if-you've-got a gun.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #110418

This also involves getting a crate from cargo, without cargo/sec/anyone else knowing or caring why you're gettin them.
Or you know, you could just order a crate of guns and skip the science step altogether.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #110428

DemonFiren wrote:Exactly.

So lockboxes can fuck right off, you can pop a crate of firing pins with an EMP, a drill, or fuck-knows-why-you-need-them-if-you've-got a gun.
nigga have you even read the thread
like half of this whole fuckin' thing has been about why this point is shit
fuck, man
Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #110533

PKPenguin321 wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Exactly.

nigga have you even read the thread
like half of this whole fuckin' thing has been about why this point is shit
fuck, man
:honk:

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
rdght91

Post by rdght91 » #111333

Is this going to happen? Seems almost everyone supports it.

I've literally one once seen guns used against anything other than a blob since firing pins, and it was a basil round where the captain had an SMG they used to shoot a traitor.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #111381

Falamazeer wrote:My biggest issue is not being able to remove one pin and use it in another gun, It would just be so handy ya know? I mean, at that point, you already got a gun! why not?
I totally forgot that this was an issue.

Actually, if you can make it so that pins can be removed intact, the problem would probably just poof and disappear. You can order a foam force crate without any suspicion, or just play the arcade until you get a toy gun.
Then all you need is a plasma cutter...or, here's a fun game, use the plasma cutter to remove its own pin.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #111387

How about a "civilian pin" for non-weapon weapons, then, like cap guns or floral somatorays or foam force guns? Maybe it just can't be removed, or maybe it only works in those specific guns.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #111393

TheNightingale wrote:How about a "civilian pin" for non-weapon weapons, then, like cap guns or floral somatorays or foam force guns? Maybe it just can't be removed, or maybe it only works in those specific guns.
Those guns have basic unlocked pins upon spawning, and come ready to fire. The Portal Gun is this way as well. You can use a plasma cutter and some tools to destroy a weapon's firing pin, but there is no way to safely remove an unlocked pin from one gun for placement in another, else the whole concept would be reduced to pointless tedium.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #111395

As it stands, ALL guns require a firing pin. This includes foam force guns, somatorays, Kinetic Accelerators, and oddly enough, Wizard staves.

If you make pins removable, getting working guns without restriction would be so trivial you might as well remove pins entirely.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #111434

Vekter wrote:As it stands, ALL guns require a firing pin. This includes foam force guns, somatorays, Kinetic Accelerators, and oddly enough, Wizard staves.

If you make pins removable, getting working guns without restriction would be so trivial you might as well remove pins entirely.
good thing we're not talking about removing pins from guns and instead we're talking about putting guns in lockboxes
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #111450

I say we ignore the lockbox suggestion and make pin production possible in engineering, a la gunsmithing.
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #111659

AdenAbrafo wrote:Connect firing pins to IDs instead, just add a new permission under the 'security' category. This makes no sense whatsoever and I have no idea how you could explain it but it would work gameplay-wise. I guess it even makes sense a little since if doors can automatically scan your id a gun can too.
NO! NOOOOOOOO! No fucking ID locks on guns holy shit that was fucking terrible on Facepunch server it was literally the dumbest and most frustratingly stupid shit I have ever seen.

Why is everyone so goddamn afraid of the crew having guns? 99% of the time nothing happens anyway, and if a traitor wants to traitor then why have all these arbitrary restrictions that just drag shit on and are frustrating and annoying? Just make it an IC issue rather than some stupid code restriction that A: doesn't make things fun or interesting and B: doesn't make any sense anyway.
Cheimon wrote:I say we ignore the lockbox suggestion and make pin production possible in engineering, a la gunsmithing.
Or the "supply" department because engineering has no reason to be producing anything. I'm 10000% for gunsmithing also, if it's out in the open and plainly visible then the captain or sec staff shouldn't have any reason to worry. Ghetto gunsmithing should absolutely be a thing too, and make pipe guns craftable without the need for R&D. (why this was ever a thing, I don't know)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #111681

you can craft a ghetto gun, the pressure cannon thing
and it's pretty robust too, it can crit in one shot if you load it right

but that's aside the point, purge firing pins, bring back lockboxes
Spoiler: