Make it obvious when the AI is watching you

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Make it obvious when the AI is watching you

Post by Atticat » #114389

The game would be improved imo if cameras have a visible blue light shown when the AI is looking through them. This would make the AI less of an invisible fun hunter for all parties involved. Also, traitors wouldn't have to spend TC on a multitool which would be great since there are currently many items and a pretty limited pool of TCs compared to their prices, but I feel changelings and cults are heavily impacted by the silicons calling them out with no indication it's happening.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Midaychi
Byond Username: Amidaychi

Re: Make it obvious when the AI is watching you

Post by Midaychi » #114393

Maybe make cameras simple mob robots with better sprites, then animate the cameras to look at werever the ai eye is when its within range of about 6?
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #114394

Man that's a really cool idea

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #114396

Midaychi wrote:Maybe make cameras simple mob robots with better sprites, then animate the cameras to look at werever the ai eye is when its within range of about 6?
A simpler idea would be to simply animate the cameras whenever the AI eye is within view range. If you think about it, this would also have the effect of warning people when the AI is about to come into view range.

Make it apply to security cameras too, for meta-obfuscation.
Mime: Depresso
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #114403

invisty wrote:
Midaychi wrote:Maybe make cameras simple mob robots with better sprites, then animate the cameras to look at werever the ai eye is when its within range of about 6?
A simpler idea would be to simply animate the cameras whenever the AI eye is within view range. If you think about it, this would also have the effect of warning people when the AI is about to come into view range.

Make it apply to security cameras too, for meta-obfuscation.
I think that is even better than the first idea. like they are already animated so just remove the default animation and only make it animated when the ai/sec are looking through them. I like that

I dunno how you'd animate cameras the AI is looking through though; maybe like when the AI is near them they animate? On camera consoles you're restricted to where the camera is, but the AI eye floats around in the range of cameras.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114404

TheWiznard wrote:I dunno how you'd animate cameras the AI is looking through though; maybe like when the AI is near them they animate? On camera consoles you're restricted to where the camera is, but the AI eye floats around in the range of cameras.
This is already a function with camera-lights, if the AI turns them on.
The cameras turn into like 5 or 6 intensity lights (large light tubes are 8) as long as the AI has the camera on-screen. You can easily see which direction the AI player is moving by the lights flicking on and off in a direction.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Midaychi
Byond Username: Amidaychi

Post by Midaychi » #114405

Have cameras use the disabled state when ai eye isn't nearby then? Would have double effect of reducing camera cutting meta.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #114407

Midaychi wrote:Have cameras use the disabled state when ai eye isn't nearby then? Would have double effect of reducing camera cutting meta.
>camera cutting meta
nnnnah
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #114558

Nah, just make them not animate.

I do like the idea of having the camera actually point to the AI eye, but that would be really tough to do.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #114566

By far the easiest way to do this is just to force camera lights on.

The lights will flicker slightly and you'll know, if it's brighter, that the AI might be watching. It's subtle, it's most obvious in dark areas, and it shouldn't be hard to code.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #114571

wouldnt you not be able to tell most of the time if the camera lights come on, though? like at roundstart everything is well lit anyway, so wouldnt it be unnoticeable?

the idea of having a faint outline around a camera or somesuch when an ai is "using" it sounds like a good idea to me personally, it might lessen the "power creep" of the ai that people have been on about recently. we'd have to make it distinct from the emp outline if it was implemented, however.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #114592

Isn't there like a 1 or 2 TC traitor item that's a multitool that lights up whenever the AI is watching you?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #114612

Zilenan91 wrote:Isn't there like a 1 or 2 TC traitor item that's a multitool that lights up whenever the AI is watching you?
Yes, its a 1 TC item. Not sure if that comes standard with the syndie toolbox or not along with the rubber gloves.

Someone will come by soon to correct you about how "NOT EVERY ANTAG HAS AN UPLINK REEEE, WHAT ABOUT REVS AND CULTISTS?"
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #114621

Saegrimr wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:Isn't there like a 1 or 2 TC traitor item that's a multitool that lights up whenever the AI is watching you?
Yes, its a 1 TC item. Not sure if that comes standard with the syndie toolbox or not along with the rubber gloves.

Someone will come by soon to correct you about how "NOT EVERY ANTAG HAS AN UPLINK REEEE, WHAT ABOUT REVS AND CULTISTS?"

NORMIES REEEE

But yeah, no, the AI detector multitool thing comes separate afaik, but I've never bought it because camera cutting is robust.

Being serious though, revs have sheer numbers (and hopefully access to cloning) and cultists are overpowered.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #114632

Why not just ask the ai to turn camera lights on??
Law 2 is abuseable for everyone yet nobody does so yet they complain.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #114648

What's difficult about just turning off the camera. Lings/Cult don't have a tool to let them see if the AI is watching, but they do have EMPs and typically items to break the camera.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #114652

Not to mention, just about everyone and their mother can get wirecutters and a screwdriver.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #114658

And, if they can't get that, all they need is a force 10 object in an emergency. Fire extinguishers and toolboxes are common as fuck.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #114659

Also, if you do have the tools, deconstruct the camera completely. Not even a deactivation notice, then.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #114682

There's no deactivation notice for wire cutting, though. Deconstruction just makes it non-obvious to non-humans.

The AI only gets an alarm if the camera is deactivated by blunt force, or when it reactivates after being EMP'd or mended.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #114763

yeah, i purposefully made disabling cameras super ez and there's even a relatively common event that should disable cameras. (maybe it doesnt work lol)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #114903

Making it obvious if the Ai is watching you is going to be hell for traitor Ais who need to stalk a target and wait for the perfect moment to strike without the entire station descending on their core.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #115105

The camera sprite is one of the few sprites that still date back to the very first version of SS13.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #115107

I was actually amused to look back at the oldest SS13 sprites and notice how the camera sprite remains unchanged.