Rebalancing Riot and E-Shields

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Rebalancing Riot and E-Shields

Post by Stickymayhem » #117651

So shields are a bit of a problem to some people. Frankly I'm okay with them but any chance to remove RNG is something I'd be happy with SO.

REBALANCE

Shields currently reflect lasers always from any direction, even the rear. This is a bit stupid realistically and kind of makes the shield essentially an overall armor buff you hold in your hand. It's unintuitive, weird to look at and requires no effort.

The alternative would be directional full protection. There would be a few mechanics at play here. First of all, the position of the shield:

X = Full protection from bullets (Full reflection of lasers for e-shields)
O = Zero protection

Right-Hand Shield:

X X X
O O X
O O O

Left-Hand Shield:

X X X
X O O
O O O

Shield on back:

O O O
O O O
X X X

This would basically make shield formations actually useful, makes the positioning of the shield strategic and puts a lot of skill into shield usage. You have to keep everyone in your safe area while they attempt to flank you. Shield walls of operatives charging through the hallways sounds pretty fucking great. As a gimmick it was fun as hell but as a legitimate strategy for deathsquads and operatives it really puts some strategy into these overpowered weapons.

Even as security, it means you can use riot shields for 100% frontal block from ballistics, tasers and melee attacks, encouraging the shield wall formation during crazy rounds like gang and revolution.

Overall clearly I'm a genius but I wouldn't know where to begin coding this.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Re: Rebalancing Riot and E-Shields

Post by Miauw » #117652

directional blocking is a completely retarded idea imo
controlling the direction your facing is finnicky and hard, which is why it's used for literally nothing else in the entire game. you can retreat under the cover of your shield in your hand by clicking in the opposite direction you're running, which is literally rng.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117654

clicking anywhere in the direction you need to face isn't difficult.

I have actually done shield walls with nuke ops and it's not too hard to pull off

If you're retreating you can stick the shield on your back or just retreat slowly enough that you can keep the shield up and facing the right way.

Plus disarm hitting people with the shield could push them back.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117655

Miauw wrote:directional blocking is a completely retarded idea imo
controlling the direction your facing is finnicky and hard, which is why it's used for literally nothing else in the entire game. you can retreat under the cover of your shield in your hand by clicking in the opposite direction you're running, which is literally rng.
I'm actually all for anything which increases the skill ceiling and reduces reliance on RNG.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #117658

Well, given some ~secret things~ I've playtested with MrPerson that may or may not end up in the game, I'd definitely be for this.
私は完璧
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117659

hype hype
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #117660

Those playtests were a little while ago, but I'll see if MrPerson's working on it still, if not, I'll try and rekindle the flames of it, it was a really neat improvement he had.
私は完璧
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #117663

Please no directional combat in SS13.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117671

Saegrimr wrote:Please no directional combat in SS13.
It's practically the only strategic combat we can possibly manage in this game that isn't reliant on RNG
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117673

Arguments against directional combat can kind of be boiled down to a few problems
>Keeping track of where you are facing -> Some people say they can do this already, I usually change my dir just for RP rofl, so It'll probably just be a minor skill adjustment/learning thing
>Keeping track of where your ENEMY is facing -> The sprites do a decent job of telling which way someone is facing, so same as above, minor learning thing
>Having to click a 32x32 sprite rendered at 64x64 during combat -> This is present now, so will not be some new thread in the future.

So directional combat, if done -well- should be fine.
私は完璧
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #117680

Tornadium wrote:
I'm actually all for anything which increases the skill ceiling and reduces reliance on RNG.
as i said, this will make people click behind them while retreating to face the threat, making it literally rng whether they're hit by anything you shoot at them or not.
ss13 combat is already confusing enough
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117682

Miauw wrote:
Tornadium wrote:
as i said, this will make people click behind them while retreating to face the threat, making it literally rng whether they're hit by anything you shoot at them or not.
ss13 combat is already confusing enough
Imagine it as a dramatic turn around while holding the shield.
alternatively make combat (defining combat as running away and choosing to swap direction to the exact opposite) take a small time fraction.
私は完璧
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #117694

Remie Richards wrote:alternatively make combat (defining combat as running away and choosing to swap direction to the exact opposite) take a small time fraction.
That will just make the game feel laggier. Don't do that, honestly, I like the idea and clicking behind you only gives you a fairly low chance of success anyways, given how intermittent it is AND the blindspots as well as forcing you to dedicate both your hands to doing nothing for the duration.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #117698

I think this would be pretty cool, imagine a riot sheildwall as the thin red line attempts to hold back a mob of greyshits pelting them with bottles and floortiles
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #117703

directionals dont matter anywhere else

our framerate is low and our movespeed is fairly high so this seems like a really awful idea, maybe it would be good if facing mattered anywhere else in the game

add a "fixed direction" toggle button that locks your facing direction until clicked again if you want to add things like this
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #117734

So if you have a shield in both hands and one on your back, you're immune to all damage?
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117736

TheNightingale wrote:So if you have a shield in both hands and one on your back, you're immune to all damage?
I never made it clear, but if I *do* go ahead with it, I won't use sticky's patterns.
I'll use these:

O = Zero protection

Right-Hand Shield:

O X X
O O O
O O O

Left-Hand Shield:

X X O
O O O
O O O

Shield on back: (Unchanged from Sticky's)

O O O
O O O
X X X

This means you're open on the sides, and from atleast 1 diagonal if you've only got one shield.
私は完璧
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #117745

I don't like the directional idea. Clicking to choose where you face is much less practical than you think when you consider that ops and the like will always be holding some sort of ranged weapon. If you're not wanting to waste ammo, you're going to have to flick between hands (making sure if you use middle mouse button that you don't click on a black tile) and then switch.

Meanwhile, if you're moving back from something you will need to click behind you to ensure maximum protection, which will look and feel awful.

An overall armour boost that you sacrifice a hand slot for is what they are, and that's fine as far as I'm concerned. If the 'block' RNG is something that bothers you then you can make them not-RNG in other ways. Energy shields have no RNG for whether they protect you from beam weapons, and that's great. It's really powerful, and it really works (until someone batons you). Maybe give riot shields a solid boost like that, such as being immune to disarm blows or whatever.

Or, make them only 100% armour certain body parts, like the chest and head.

Anyway, plenty of armour is RNG based: teleporter, ablative, esword deflection, and to an extent your dice rolls on what body part gets hit if you're wearing chest armour. Shields are not unique and they don't need 'fixing' in this ugly and ineffective way. Why should shields be directional if no other aspect of combat is?

If the shield being omni-directional is unintuitive from the sprite, change the sprite. You can perfectly well create a kind of 'energy bubble' that the handheld energy shield makes, if you prefer. Riot shields don't necessarily block everything, which is why they don't need such a bubble sprite (and also why they're a lot less useful).
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117748

TheNightingale wrote:So if you have a shield in both hands and one on your back, you're immune to all damage?
honestly this would be ok because that means no backpack and no free hands. You'd literally have to drop a shield to fire anything back.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117749

Remie Richards wrote:
I never made it clear, but if I *do* go ahead with it, I won't use sticky's patterns.
I'll use these:

O = Zero protection

Right-Hand Shield:

O X X
O O O
O O O

Left-Hand Shield:

X X O
O O O
O O O

O O O
O O O
X X X

This means you're open on the sides, and from atleast 1 diagonal if you've only got one shield.
The pattern you propose makes shield walls not actually effective though which is a shame.

Maybe

X X O
X O O
O O O

and

O X X
O O X
O O O

would be better because they could stand side by side and defend eachother from all frontal angles, provided they coordinate well which would slow them down a huge amount.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117750

Stickymayhem wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
I'll use these:

O = Zero protection

Right-Hand Shield:

O X X
O O O
O O O

Left-Hand Shield:

X X O
O O O
O O O

O O O
O O O
X X X

The pattern you propose makes shield walls not actually effective though which is a shame.

Maybe

X X O
X O O
O O O

and

O X X
O O X
O O O

would be better because they could stand side by side and defend eachother from all frontal angles, provided they coordinate well which would slow them down a huge amount.
WHAT. you have just recreated the issue! two shields+backshield = immunity.
Mine makes shield walls fail if you only have one shield, which is identical to your (second) patterns.
私は完璧
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117751

I don't think the immunity is a problem though. It sounds hilarious to me.

Remember riot shields would deflect lasers, so someone with three of them can still be disabled or lasered.

IF you can get three eshields then you fucking deserve immunity but you'll still be utterly useless. Maybe eshields don't need melee protection.

Riot shields would have ballistic and melee protection
Eshields would have ballistic and beam/laser protection/reflection.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #117752

Someone should really address the issues I brought up earlier in the thread instead of completely disregarding them
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117755

Facing people isn't terribly hard.

The strafe idea is nice I never mentioned it because too lifeweb.
JJRcop
Byond Username: JJRcop
Github Username: JJRcop

Post by JJRcop » #117804

If this could be done with low performance impact, it would be interesting if you just automatically faced where the mouse was, then strafing would be part of the game.
I lurk quite often...
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #117807

This is bad in the same way direction vision or flashlights are bad.

This is a top down, 2d sprite gam. Direction is not relevent anywhere else in the game what so ever.

If you're charging some guy who has a e-shield/double sword down the corridor, instead of just LOS'ing them around a corner, completely nullifying their advantage, then that's your issue.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #117829

what do
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117831

J_Madison wrote:Image

what do
Shoot with laser/disabler in back

Or baton/any melee weapon them in the front and sides

Also shieldman can't fight back and it's hard to get multiple eshields. the best he can do is use a belt and armor slot for guns and then he literally has to drop a shield in the middle of combat to pull out a gun or interact with anything.

Seems fine to me.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #117838

I think this particular directional idea is a good idea.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #117846

im all for nerfing shields but this is kinda shitty simply because having to care about what direction you face/what direction to attack in would be so janky
not to mention you guys keep making these 3x3 things
X X X
X X X
X X X
when in reality there aren't really diagonals from what i can tell (and if there are, the interface is too unintuitive to be able to use them without relying entirely on luck), so
O X X
O O O
O O O
would really look like
...X
O O O
...O

this is a good idea entirely is concept but doesn't work in action just because of the shit interface
if we ever get an SS13 remake that's not shit and runs on a half-decent engine it might work
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #117848

We have diagonals, we just don't have directionals to face diagonally. But if nothing else your click can def be at a target diagonal to you.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Danowar
Byond Username: Danowar

Post by Danowar » #117888

As much as I would love directional-based combat, I feel like it would eventually turn into this:

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #117957

Still better than RNG