Lava Land (also a series of small mapping requests)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Re: Lava Land (also a series of small mapping requests)

Post by WJohnston » #107379

Bottom post of the previous page:

255x255 is actually quite a lot of space. If you feel that the asteroid is big, then this should be significantly larger.
Apparently I was an director or something.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #107394

Kor if you ever needed mining-type elevator sprites for transitioning between z-levels, I made one a while back and would be happy to send it in your direction.

Also I'd be happy to throw a little volcanic planet onto the title screen so players will be immensely intrigued at this new addition.
Mime: Depresso
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #107398

do it.
私は完璧
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #107427

Please do! That's something I am absolutely definitely incapable of doing, as I have neither the tools nor the experience in working with 15x15 animations like that.

Also the planet would need to be visible during nuking, if you're re-using the same screen.
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #117064

Due to the departure of Kor, and the lack of coding action, I'm putting a bounty pool of 60$ cash on this project.
I want to see this alive.

The more you contribute coding, the more you'll recieve.

If you want to recieve cash payment for this, I will do a full background check. I have the right to refuse cash payment if I am not satisfied with your background.
Other methods of payment, such as steambucks/games is fine.

I've previously hired out Goof for a copy of MGSV TPP. Payment is not a problem for me.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #117108

holy shit
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #117177

If you've hung out in coderbus for anything more than 5 minutes these days you know how much money J_Madison has, haha.
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #118831

Laggy triple post
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #118832

Last edited by onleavedontatme on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #118833

J_Madison wrote:Due to the departure of Kor, and the lack of coding action, I'm putting a bounty pool of 60$ cash on this project.
I want to see this alive.

The more you contribute coding, the more you'll recieve.

If you want to recieve cash payment for this, I will do a full background check. I have the right to refuse cash payment if I am not satisfied with your background.
Other methods of payment, such as steambucks/games is fine.

I've previously hired out Goof for a copy of MGSV TPP. Payment is not a problem for me.
I'm flattered and I'll try to recover the rest of the code in case someone wants to take you up on your offer, but given the planned features reliance on a large number of turfs and monsters, and with mobs/atmos apparently being the worst offenders as far as processing goes, I dont think the project is feasible.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #118873

Kor, mobs go to sleep when nobody's around them.
they drop their processing by quite a bit, a system I made and then people added to to make a nice boost when a mob shouldn't be doing anything (No enemies nearby, if a mob can't find a target (be it mobs it hates or items it's been tasked to find) it will sleep it's AI, reducing itself to simple checking for a target and some movement, nothing else)

as for atmos... eh, you can just make the planet have no atmos what so ever, ala space.
私は完璧
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #118940

Would it be feasible to have it have unsimulated atmos at certain pressures and tempertaures?
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #118946

There's no such thing as "no atmos" or "unsimulated"
Players can and will create their own fun.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #118949

duncathan wrote:There's no such thing as "no atmos" or "unsimulated"
No gases on turf = no atmos simulation happening.
I should have clarified but I figured that was kind of obvious.
私は完璧
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #119106

JackHunt wrote:Would it be feasible to have it have unsimulated atmos at certain pressures and tempertaures?
there are no more unsimulated turfs, all turfs are simulated.
so if you have a gas of a set temperature and amount (pressure is not a variable, its determined by the other variables) on a turf, it will spread to other turfs. there is no way to have "static" gases.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #119370

So what would the overhead look like for a planet full of constant temp, constant pressure gas?
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #119386

Absolutely huge. On box, our biggest processing hog is environmental atmos. While the atmos will be more costly on a per tile basis on the station, this planet is set to be so huge that it could probably come close to doubling the current processing total of LINDA.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #119462

I mean the atmos on the planet would not have to be finite in any way, here. We're not talking mass draining or mass shifting. Why not have it be constant temperature and pressure on whatever's considered "outside" of an outpost or ruin? It could be an endless source of atmos while remaining unchanging.

If any of that is possible, of course. The only atmos changes you'd be looking at is when air leaks into a station, not when the planets' atmos shifts or anything.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #119505

Is it even possible to set a tile to have X pressure/heat? Also if you do end up going with the no gas way for the lava planet, will you be buffing the mining hardsuit or adding in a new item for it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #119541

WJohnston wrote: If any of that is possible, of course. The only atmos changes you'd be looking at is when air leaks into a station, not when the planets' atmos shifts or anything.
Or when some jackass opens a canister outdoors.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #119564

Kor wrote:
WJohnston wrote: If any of that is possible, of course. The only atmos changes you'd be looking at is when air leaks into a station, not when the planets' atmos shifts or anything.
Or when some jackass opens a canister outdoors.
Opening the mining o2 canister in the middle of mined-out asteroid does the same thing.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #119634

Doing that is not nearly as expensive.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #119690

Couldn't you just set all lavaland tiles to act as space tiles but at a different temperature
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #119710

That's exactly what I was describing, and hopefully that's possible.
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #119932

The issue is breathing. While breathing doesn't activate turfs directly, it makes enough of a difference over time that it'll make LINDA calculations on the planet more costly than if they were just space.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #119938

what if the place just had no atmos, like the mining asteroid, apart from a few rooms or buildings/caves
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #120056

We could do that, but that would mean buffing the Mining Hardsuit even more. Miners would go from being pretty damn good to holy shit this is the most powerful job outside of late game science(arguable depending on where you're fighting)/security.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #120336

I am strangely okay with jobs other than science (and botany :^)) get ridiculously good end game stuff.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120414

At least Mining can be actually made "end-game" content due to being reliant on the game for kit instead of how efficiently they follow their list of instructions.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #139835

Things left to do:

Ruin seeding (halfway done, PR is already up)
Event controller
Recode ash storms
Lots of mapping for said ruins/new mining station

At which point barebones lavaland will be ready. If I worked hard at it and the various PRs are merged quickly enough it could probably be done by new years (though I likely wont be able to sustain my motivation even if my shitcode was reviewed quickly)

I'm kinda worried putting it on server bare bones will dissapoint everyone but it will be easier to add to and hopefully draw other coders in to add to it if there is a tangible foundation instead of a nebulous idea and scattered assets.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #141557

Literally only the ash storms and mapping left to have (very basic) lavaland but freeze soon.