Stop putting abstain on polls

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Vote abstain if you're a faggot

Abstain
59%
Abstain
41%

Total votes: 27

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Stop putting abstain on polls

Post by iamgoofball » #120075

If you want to abstain, then actually abstain and dont vote for an option.

If you want to argue for this, give me a good reason or two for why simply not voting isnt enough.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Stop putting abstain on polls

Post by Steelpoint » #120077

I like putting abstain up so I can vote abstain on my own poll so I can see what the vote is without having to always click "show poll results" every time I open the thread.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #120078

I'm pretty sure there's a PHPBB option to show results by default on a poll. Check your settings.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #120084

It's useful as a "I don't care" option. A poll with 30 likes, 20 dislikes, and 20 abstains is very different from one with 30 likes, 20 dislikes, and 120 abstains.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #120085

Percentage.
Say ten different people look at a poll. Two of them vote "yes." One votes "no." That would make it seem like 66% of people polled voted yes, wouldn't it? In reality, only 20% did. 70% of people polled didn't care. That is significant information. Lemme make another example.

Say there's a poll about some significant, supposedly controversial change. Again, we'll say ten different people look at it. If three people vote against it, one person votes in favor of it, and the other six abstain, what does that tell you?
It tells you that 60% of the people who cared to vote in the poll simply don't care about the change. The difference between 60% of people not caring about a change and 75% of people (3 out of four of those with an opinion voted against) being against a change is huge. With the abstains, the nay-sayers make up 30% of the vote. They're a minority. Without the abstains, they make up 75%, a greater than two third majority.

tl;dr: accuracy
Players can and will create their own fun.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #120108

Abstain is a way to tell the difference between the community not giving a shit and the community not noticing the poll.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #120225

Or being like me and choosing abstain to make a joke in the thread
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #120242

Takeguru wrote:Or being like me and choosing abstain to make a joke in the thread
You don't have to vote to make a post.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter