vox/ai comms discussion (now featuring camera whining!)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

vox/ai comms discussion (now featuring camera whining!)

Post by Deitus » #128587

what do you guys think about changing the ai vox a little bit? i've heard that the person who did it isn't around anymore and that we used to use the announcer voice from HL1, but i think it could use a bit of a change in terms of how practical it is.

i understand that what we have is workable and the ai can usually get a point across in one way or another, but i think it could benefit from both the addition of more tgstation-centric phrases ("engineering," "bar," and general phrases for nonhumans such as lings or holoparasites...perhaps "unidentified lifeform?") and the subtraction of phrases that are rarely used (most of the greek letters, and i think "Johnson" stopped being funny after the first few thousand times). as to who would voice it we could probably find someone in the community to do so, and im sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a program to make it sound more "robotic."

as for the "communication methods" part of the title, i suggest adding an isolated comms console in the AI sat for it to use in situations where the one in cap's office/bridge are unavailable. i realize you can use the intercomms next to you even when the radio is down but i feel like some situations warrant BIG ATTENTION GRABBING LETTERS to get a message across. further, i would suggest the ability of the ai to be able to communicate with centcomm; it makes sense to me from an IC perspective that the ai would be able to communicate with it's creators. i know i could just pray as well, but it makes more sense to me from a
Spoiler:
roleplay
perspective to just ask centcomm. maybe even make it so the ai can ask for the nuke codes in the situation that they aren't asiimov.

at any rate, i'd like to get a public opinion on all my shitty ramblings if only to test the water.

EDIT:
something i'd also like to bring up is that the idea of random roundstart cameras being disabled seems kind of silly to me. i don't really get why it happens other than maybe just something about ai powercreep, but within the past few weeks/month or so i've noticed that many times even when the camera is repaired i still have no vision of the area, even when i get the camera alert, confirm with mods that the camera should be working, and relog. this can be incredibly annoying if they're in important areas like bridge, cap's office, or primary hallways. i've also noticed that many times borg vision and sec helmet vision has the same issue. can any other ai players confirm this or is it just me?

also, what do you guys think about adding a camera to the science side of the science double doors? a tiny but important blindspot on multiple occasions for me.
Last edited by Deitus on Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: a discussion on the ai vox/communication methods

Post by Gun Hog » #128598

We do need more obvious words such a "engineering", or commonly used areas or machines. Some words are indeed useless, and we could do without straight profanity being included. Things such as "Johnson" or "Abortions" are tame enough in my opinion to stay.

Being able to use the communication console to contact Central Command would be quite nice, and it is a self-regulating system (it is not wise to abuse a system meant to speak to admins), and for Traitor AIs, let them speak with Syndie Command. There is no need to give the AI a communications console; Let it make announcements from its Requests Console instead, the same way heads can from their office.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #128620

I find the vox to just be a big resource hog that makes the resource downloads take longer while not actually adding anything to the game. I don't think adding more words would change the fact people just spam shit like "Report to medical bay for johnson inspection". And if the shitty ones were gone, I don't think people would use it at all.

Not that there's anything wrong with gimmicks, I just don't want annoying ones taking up a megabyte of space and extending the time between connecting and playing.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #128638

i think they can be important for emergencies: i.e. death screaming operatives before a syndieborg kills you or letting the crew know there is a xenomorph infestation; times when it could cost lives to have to move all the way to a comms console to make the announcement. yeah you could use comms but really how many people will notice it if its just greenchat

heck, if we were to remove the less useful phrases, wouldnt that make downloads faster?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #128644

People spam shitty memes with it BECAUSE the vocabulary is super limited. If the vocab actually covered useful words rather then what's basically meme tier shit, AI's would totally use it, but right now it's a battle to figure out what you can and can't say.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #128647

You can say "CLOWN IS ABORTION CAPTAIN IS JOHNSON" all you want but god forbid you want to say "BREACH AT MEDBAY ENGINEER TO MEDBAY"
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #128649

I agree with the OP and what Lumi has said. I love the idea of the Vox system but the lack of really useful phrases is incredibly irritating. You can't even tell people "Suit Sensors On" because "On" isn't in the vocab, but good thing "Fuck Your Shit Eating Abortions" is. If it got used less overall but was more helpful when it WAS used, and less full of stupid meme shit, that would be a good change in my book.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #128660

I find the argument that the AI being able to say some antag or hazard related words would enable valids too much (hence having a discordant meme library instead) is super shaky.

The AI can broadcast announcements from coms consoles, it can set you to arrest, publish a newsletter, it can just activate a hologram or tell its borgs and this is just the stuff it can do with telecoms destroyed. If the AI is able and wants to tell someone you are super dodgy they will.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #128662

@Incomptinence: I feel like you just refuted your own point. The AI can broadcast announcements from consoles, set you to arrest, publish newsletters, use comms when they're down, activate holograms, tell the borgs, all with tcomms destroyed. If they want to do nothing but validhunt there are plenty of much more convenient and intuitive ways to do that. A good vox library is just going to cut down on the goddamn memes and allow AI's that want to roleplay more opportunity to do so.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #128670

Sweater, read his first sentence again.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #128675

lumipharon wrote:Sweater, read his first sentence again.
in his defense it took me a third readthrough before i realized he was actually arguing FOR the vox update :honk:

also, edited op with more whining well-thought out suggestions
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #128677

Oh man, the parentheses totally threw me. Honk. Well I'm glad that it seems like most people are on board for a change like this. Maybe Cuboos would be up to making some new words.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Re: vox/ai comms discussion (now featuring camera whining!)

Post by firecage » #128716

I still want a pref to mute VOX though, because god it is so annoying. Also, feel free to expand VOX's vocabulary, as long as you then also remove the meme ones, and only add as many as you remove as not to make that folder's size EVEN larger. The VOX sounds folder is 5 MB alone.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #128717

i was dabbling around with the idea on coderbus of overhauling the AI sounds, including non-vox announcements, but it never got too far. I'd be willing to redo vox voices so they are clear or, (like make O sound like "oh" instead of "ah" ) However the voice would have to be different because i wouldn't be able to recreate the voice used exactly.
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #128722

MisterPerson wrote:I find the vox to just be a big resource hog that makes the resource downloads take longer while not actually adding anything to the game. I don't think adding more words would change the fact people just spam shit like "Report to medical bay for johnson inspection". And if the shitty ones were gone, I don't think people would use it at all.

Not that there's anything wrong with gimmicks, I just don't want annoying ones taking up a megabyte of space and extending the time between connecting and playing.
This, it's like 5MB.

What could be done is trimming the vox severely and add a few useful words suggested here.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #128744

Seriously, the only thing the vox is good for is for saying "ass blast usa suit sensors abortions". It's pretty crap if I want to try and give practical messages, and for that reason I avoid it as AI.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #128747

I agree, the AI sounds need an overhaul. Can we roll the shuttle arrival + other announcements into this as well? It's always bugged me that they have a different voice.
Cuboos wrote:(like make O sound like "oh" instead of "ah" )
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #128778

Cuboos wrote:i was dabbling around with the idea on coderbus of overhauling the AI sounds, including non-vox announcements, but it never got too far. I'd be willing to redo vox voices so they are clear or, (like make O sound like "oh" instead of "ah" ) However the voice would have to be different because i wouldn't be able to recreate the voice used exactly.
you could probably just use your own voice, i doubt anyone would really care much

also yes why does "o" sound like "ah" anyway, that has always fucking bugged me
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #128812

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I agree, the AI sounds need an overhaul. Can we roll the shuttle arrival + other announcements into this as well? It's always bugged me that they have a different voice.
Cuboos wrote:(like make O sound like "oh" instead of "ah" )
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
you mean "NNNAH-AH-AH-AH-AH-AH-AH-AH"
tuypo1
Byond Username: Tuypo1

Post by tuypo1 » #128968

lumipharon wrote:People spam shitty memes with it BECAUSE the vocabulary is super limited. If the vocab actually covered useful words rather then what's basically meme tier shit, AI's would totally use it, but right now it's a battle to figure out what you can and can't say.
this exactly
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #129216

tuypo1 wrote:
lumipharon wrote:People spam shitty memes with it BECAUSE the vocabulary is super limited. If the vocab actually covered useful words rather then what's basically meme tier shit, AI's would totally use it, but right now it's a battle to figure out what you can and can't say.
this exactly
Best way for this is to figure out what NEEDS to be said, "traitor clown in medbay", "Plasma fire in engineering" "human harm in bar", stuff like that. THEN you can add the memes.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #129319

Well, let's see. All the names of the rooms would be useful. The phrases "hull breach" and "murder" would help too. A word for each of the antagonists, including things like "changeling" and "shadowling" and "morph" and "revenant" might work well.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #129466

Let's be honest about what this is: A buff for the AI. I can't support something like that currently. Funny phrases are fine with me but anything department specific is a big no. The invisible ghost antag hunter is strong enough and could use with a few nerfs imo.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #129472

its not really a buff so much as clarification. i mean the ai could literally just spell out "e n g i" but it would just be easier (and probably take less data) if we redid it to just say "engineering."
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #129479

Deitus wrote:its not really a buff so much as clarification. i mean the ai could literally just spell out "e n g i" but it would just be easier (and probably take less data) if we redid it to just say "engineering."
Or we could kill vox entirely, and use the space saved to add an OST to announcements
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #129690

naw i think vox is a pretty important tool, and admins always play some midis shit anyway. an ost would just get in the way of the spam
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #130086

I really enjoy vox tbh. The problem I have with specific vox phrases is they enable the AI to circumvent a traitor sabotaging telecommunications. But I definitely enjoy vox overall.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #130090

Atticat wrote:The problem I have with specific vox phrases is they enable the AI to circumvent a traitor sabotaging telecommunications.
The AI has always had intercoms, which will continue to function when Tcoms is disabled. NTSL worked and could intercept them along with SBRs, but fun is illegal here, and that is gone now.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #130635

Let's keep this related to vox and not veer off on a tangent about NTSL.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #130649

What if we use one of those voice synthesizers that just read text and compose the speech themselves?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #130701

CPTANT wrote:What if we use one of those voice synthesizers that just read text and compose the speech themselves?
im not sure i follow. wouldnt that just be using intercomms?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #130728

I think he means an actual speech to text program, which I think would be far too resource hungry for the server
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #131853

man, i just love how discussions about the vox never gets anywhere