Replace Abandoned Office with a random room

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Replace Abandoned Office with a random room

Post by Helios » #129433

This would take some mapping work, but how about abandoned Office being a different abandoned room each round?
Just spriting some 8x5 rooms, so it could be Abandoned Robotics, Abandoned Medbay, etc. And would give a chance to introduce some new changes to Box that people wouldn't be opposed to.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Re: Replace Abandoned Office with a random room

Post by Amelius » #129440

Helios wrote:This would take some mapping work, but how about abandoned Office being a different abandoned room each round?
Just spriting some 8x5 rooms, so it could be Abandoned Robotics, Abandoned Medbay, etc. And would give a chance to introduce some new changes to Box that people wouldn't be opposed to.
Might be cool for antag use. Abandoned medbay is redundant with sekrit surgery though.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #129442

Don't we have a precedent for this, ie. the holodeck?

By which I mean, the holodeck's programs are physically stored on the Centcom Z-level. If variants of the abandoned office are made, added, and randomly assigned at roundstart...
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #129460

Yep that's how it works. There is however a problem with this going forward.

We're trying very hard for every map to use the same centcom z-level, which means one of two things would happen here:

1. We'd have a bunch of unusable rooms on centcom z-level that 5 out of 6 of the current maps couldn't use
2. We'd have to standaradize the size of the vacant office between 6 maps

It's a great idea, and swappable modular station rooms is something I've wanted for years, but yeah, it's grown a bit complicated.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #129463

We could replace the contents of the room with a landmark that picks a type then spawns contents instead of making them all on the map each round.

Like how the hidden mining room and survival capsules work.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #129465

That would be pretty awesome.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #129478

We could also get around to making that mapswap system that whats-the-server uses for engineering
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #129493

Kor wrote:We could replace the contents of the room with a landmark that picks a type then spawns contents instead of making them all on the map each round.

Like how the hidden mining room and survival capsules work.
This does sound good on paper, but then you run into the problem that mapping is done by code, and future changes to layouts become difficult. It's coder-friendly, but not edit-friendly or mapper-friendly.

I suggest the map pieces are in fact on z-level 2, and that the unused ones are simply deleted at round start. Assuming the room is moved before world initialization (the series of bold, red texts at the very start of the round), it should work fine. I however don't think something like this would have much of any impact on the game though. All the possible rooms would likely end up being as dull and uninteresting as the current abandoned office.

By the way, a long time ago that area was just empty space. It was filled in with a mail room when the mailman job was added. The mail room was then moved elsewhere, and the area remained filled in. There is nothing wrong with just replacing it with space again.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #129494

LiamLime wrote:There is nothing wrong with just replacing it with space again.
Ayyy thats my gimmick of deleting the floors but leaving everything in there and renaming the doors/area to "REALLY VACANT OFFICE".
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #129496

I once emagged a bunch of floorbots and put them in maintenance. After a while I acquired a space suit, hacked the doors open, and then the air started draining stupidly fast as the floorbots started prying off floors in the main hallways.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #129783

For the standardized cent com z-level issue, what about making part of the cent com z-level that consists of a "map specific area" that might vary from map to map but will always be in the same general place so the rest of it is the same?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #129961

Adbandoned armory
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #129990

What is difficult about making a new Z-level for this and the holodeck?
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #129993

Not that its difficult, its that some coders want to get rid of excess Z-levels, and making this feature would apparently conflict with that or something.

What would be neat is a modular station, where each department has the exact same dimensions but the department placements are randomized every round.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #129998

I am still a little pissed that metastation lost its unique centcomm level, the post-round griff there was always awesome with the huge arsenal available.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #130041

Steelpoint wrote:What would be neat is a modular station, where each department has the exact same dimensions but the department placements are randomized every round.
Absolutely fuckin' neato. Why not have these at Centcom, now that it's a sealed skeleton?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #130099

Wyzack wrote:I am still a little pissed that metastation lost its unique centcomm level, the post-round griff there was always awesome with the huge arsenal available.

I don't think that got removed from Meta...
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #130100

I played a round on meta last night and it is definitely gone
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #130454

It is the boring Box Centcomm now. Meta's was far superior.
asskek
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Asskek

Post by asskek » #130553

solution: make a bunch of asteroids made of undestructableanium and put the rooms inside them

edit: wait nevermind that's fucking retarded
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #130569

Gun Hog wrote:It is the boring Box Centcomm now. Meta's was far superior.

Wow that's retarded. Why'd they remove the shitty box centcomm instead of replacing regular centcomm with Metas?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: