More verbose Alert system

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Malkevin

More verbose Alert system

Post by Malkevin » #65168

Technically this is a coding idea but its an idea that can't exist without the server policy to back it up, so I'm posting it here first

I'd like to see a more verbose alert system, as the change to code blue and the addition of the ERT has blurred the current lines.

Current system:
Spoiler:
Comms consoles
- Green - Normal everyday level. Security is only allowed to search people caught red handed or by requesting a warrant... I guess, this is never used in game so largely fluff.
- Blue - Possible hostile activity, security can only search suspicious people. Basically acts as a way for security to be allowed to act on edge and be more suspicious of suspicious persons.

Keycard Auth
- Red Alert - Confirmed hostile activity (aka - every round past the 5 minute mark), security can search everyone. Martial Law isn't officially declared (though most take this as a de-facto state of emergency currently)

Game events/Badmins (I think - code delta isn't player triggerable is it?)
- Code delta - Martial Law in affect, sec can execute for insubordination etc. Oh and the station is about to go boom.
What I'd like to propose is:
Comms console:
-Green - Every day level, as above
-Blue - High probability of hostile activity. As above, security may only force search suspicious people.

Maybe Comms / Maybe keycard auth / Maybe option of keycard for normal heads and comm's console for captain level access?
-Amber - Evidence of hostile activity has been discovered. Basically old code blue: Crew are free to continue their normal daily activities but security are allowed to do random searches. Normal judicial process is still followed. To be used for low profile antags like traitors and lings.

Keycard Auth:
-Red Alert - Hostile Insurrection confirmed. Martial law is declared: Crew are confined to their departments, Security are encouraged to use the armoury gear; normal judicial processes and Space Law are suspended - security may perform summary executions at will without seeking Captain's approval*. To be used when the shit's hit the fan in rev/cult/aliums
-Code Epsilon - Local security forces are unable to contain the insurrection, ERT team is requested**, loyalists and ERT are instructed to regain control at all costs. Martial Law and summary executions are still authorised.

Game mode triggers/Badmins
-Code Theta*** - Everything is fucked, CentCom has declared your station a lost cause and so has armed the vault nuke and dispatched a death squad to recover any valuable research data/materias and then atomise you pathetic failures. Technically ICly this level of alert is only known by the Captain and Malf AIs (because they've h4x0rd the code).
MALF AIs will trigger this instead of Code Delta when they reveal themselves, Captains can use the comms consoles to send a message to Centcom requesting Code Theta to be activated (for out of control blobs, etc.)

*Note: Security don't have cart blanche to start lasering random passers by, but they can apply deadly force to suspected antags, they can execute confirmed but subdued antags by their own initiative, they can perform clearing house raids on departments thought to be cult/rev dens (aka - medbay)
**Maybe could automatically be dispatched after 10 minutes of declaring code Epsilon? T+2min the ERT members are spawned at centcom, T+10min the ERT leader can launch the shuttle
***Why Theta and not Zeta I hear you ask? Theta is the symbolic of death in the greek alphabet.
Last edited by Malkevin on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: More verbose Alert system

Post by Steelpoint » #65169

I like this, gives a IC way to ask for the ERT to be summoned and the Captain has a way to "end" the station with the Deathsquad.

I think the "Code Theta" should be a clickable button for the Captain if he is using the Comms console and should essentially give the admins a button prompt to spawn a Deathsquad and activate the Nuke for detonation.

Essentially I like how this gives the crew a IC way to advance the round, and a better way to allow Sec to preform random searches that does not involve Red Alert.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #65196

I like this all except security being allowed to execute without captain's orders. Should be re-worded to "security may preform summary executions with appropriate head permission".
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #65242

I approve, if only to see more deathsquads.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #65252

Code Amber needs to be changed because all I can think about is Amber Alert

Anyways this is a much better alert system in my eyes for several reasons.
The fact that we start on what's essentially DEFCON 3 ("Increase in force readiness above that required for normal readiness") has always struck me as odd. Based on the text description of Code Blue, it means we're on the Star Trek equivalent of yellow alert nearly from the start of the shift. Not "Something might be up" but instead "Something is definitely up". Making it the former seems a lot more sensible and just means from an IC level, Security is just wary, not actively hunting for prospective antags.
Epsilon should be defined as 'Security is unable to contain subversive elements. Central Command has been contacted, and evacuation or quarantine of the station will commence"
S'more feedback: Code Red in the remake needs to be redefined. Something along the lines of 'Confirmed hostile subversive elements on board the station' as opposed to directly referring to it as insurrection. It feels a little limited that way.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65271

Tell me again why we have two lines, one going by colour and one by Greek letters instead of unifying it?

Also, I say Blue should be what Amber is proposed to be; what Blue is right now should be made Yellow.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #65276

To be fair going for full on Latin names for our alert system would get confusion.

A latin alert system under Malk's suggestion would be..

Code Alpha (Green)

Code Beta (Blue)

Code Gamma (Red)

Code Delta (Epsilon)

Code Epsilion (Theta)
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65278

Greek. Not Latin.
As someone who has passed both his Graecum and Latinum, you trigger my autism.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #65300

I like it. I would stick with greek names myself, since even if nobody remembers them at first they are still much, much cooler.

Just put thought into writing them. I want the crew to collectively shit their pants when they hear Code Epsilon.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65305

That old Tom Lehrer song, "There's a Delta for every Epsilon", suddenly comes to mind again.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #65308

Cecily wrote:S'more feedback: Code Red in the remake needs to be redefined. Something along the lines of 'Confirmed hostile subversive elements on board the station' as opposed to directly referring to it as insurrection. It feels a little limited that way.
Its meant to be limited, sec shouldn't be declaring martial law for traitors or a few lings.

The reason for the separate color/greek names is to separate internal alert levels from centcom involved ones
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #65339

As a thought, and to be so Edgy it hurts, Epsilon Could be... I Dunno, ... Double Red?

Theta could be Code Black.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65349

That is more like Code Pink, though.
Which would take the edge off the edge.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #65359

Okay guys... this is literal bikeshedding.

Please stop arguing about the colour of the bike shed and talk about the proposed new and shiny bike rack.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #65385

Code White. So benign... But stills a possible "OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT".

Also White is usually the color people see when watching the flash of a Nuclear detonation!

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #65811

Make it a roundstart code green. Dont broadcast the security alert. Give the heads the option of dealing with it publicly or being discreet about it. It gives the players more tools and options and might actually encourage roleplay in this roleplaying game
/vg/station Head Admin
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #66892

Headmins? Admins??
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #67048

This seems pretty good.

It might even encourage....
Spoiler:
Roleplaying
GASP
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #67335

Malkevin wrote:Headmins? Admins??
Anything more involving than changing the current text strings we get needs to go through coderbus, not us.

I like the idea of searches needing a warrant under code green, though. heh.

Your code red is neat, too. I wouldn't mind that.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #67580

I would really enjoy it if this system was implemented.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #67711

Code Green
Code Blue
Code Yellow
Code Red
Code Black
Code White

Cuz fuck violet.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays

Post by ThanatosRa » #67781

Violaceus wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:Code Green
Code Blue
Code Yellow
Code Red
Code Black
Code White

Cuz fuck violet.
go fuck yourself with harmbaton please
Code White sounds more ominous to me.

u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #67930

Code RED
code ORANGE
code YELLOW
code GREEN
code BLUE
code INDIGO
code VIOLET
code ULTRAVIOLET

Attention troubleshooters!
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #154979

Might look at coding this if people are still interested.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #154981

I still think its a good idea, it puts the demand for a ERT on the feet of the command staff and at least keeps it as more of a IC thing but still at the behest of the admins.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #155056

I love all of this. The alert system as it exists is perfectly functional (AFAIC), but this rework sounds like way more fun.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #155072

I feel like sec, as it stands, tends to be a very vigorous murderbone tease already so I was a skeptical about officially allowing sec to murderbone in code red. But then I saw how code red would be a higher alert level than it currently is, so this makes a lot more sense. I'm still a little skeptical, though. Maybe approval for execution could be extended to any implanted HoS, HoP, or Warden as well? Also, security not legally being able to make involuntary searches without a warrant in lower levels is very pleasing to me. In code blue, though, "suspicious people" should be limited to probable cause, like actually having a revolver or visibly planting bombs, as opposed to being a shady motherfucker crawling through maint with no clear malicious intent.
Spoiler:
And while I respect the color-letter distinction, I think it'd make the last two levels - which are [img]vastly[/img] different - harder to distinguish. I definitely vote for greek letter-based codes, possibly with the alert text itself colored according to danger level - essentially Steelpoint's idea.
  1. Code Alpha
  2. Code Beta
  3. Code Gamma
  4. Code Delta
  5. Code Epsilon
  6. Code Theta
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #155080

Code Amber backed up by server policy would just be an easy way for sec to justify searching absolutely everyone until the taters were found. Random searches were cancerous, let's not put them back in.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Jazaen
Byond Username: Jazaen

Post by Jazaen » #155085

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Code RED
code ORANGE
code YELLOW
code GREEN
code BLUE
code INDIGO
code VIOLET
code ULTRAVIOLET

Attention troubleshooters!
Mandatory approval!
Also, let's add code INFRARED, that can only be set up when comms console is emagged, so that traitors that capture the station can show a giant red-gloved middle finger to centcomm.
<Nabs the idea for further, evil use>
I play:
SMAI-Reactivation (SybilAI)
SMAI-Revolutions (BagilAI)
: Endorsed by Poly, the Parrot! https://twitter.com/Poly_the_Parrot/sta ... 7588301825
Shannah Rader (Sybil geneticist)
Janette Hall (Bagil geneticist)
Also, I'm a Game Admin or something right now. You can tell me how I'm doing here
I seriously hope you don't make the same mistakes I have