engineering needs more shit to do

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: engineering needs more shit to do

Post by Luke Cox » #157890

Bottom post of the previous page:

Now how do we get coderbus on this?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #157891

You don't. Nobody is going to do such an ambitious project like this at hte drop of the hat.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #157893

excuse me

i've coded new engines, chemistry reworks, and animal AI overhauls and animal ERP systems at the drop of a hat out of boredom before

let me at it

reagent singulo
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #157902

I eagerly await people blaming goofball when they're incinerated on the spot for trying to hack when there are forty gajillion watts in the grid to power the deathcollider.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #157903

Luke Cox wrote:Now how do we get coderbus on this?
"coderbus" isn't a singular entity that magically spits out features, it's a bunch of volunteers doing volunteer work on their own time that code when they feel like it (and are capable of coding it).

that being said i'd love to code this but i can't imagine what the actual code would look like, it's way beyond me :?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #157905

iamgoofball wrote:excuse me

i've coded new engines, chemistry reworks, and animal AI overhauls and animal ERP systems at the drop of a hat out of boredom before

let me at it

reagent singulo
Make something like this: A multi-part machine (like the PA) that goes in the experimentor lab. Consumes a massive amount of power when activated, and produces a highly valuable material (maybe from plasma) when activated. Does something bad when sabotaged.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #157934

Semi related again, but hey.

Increase the energy drain of everything, so shit can't last on apc power for so long (seriously, it can last bloody ages). This could also potentially remove the infinite power via recharging batteries thing, depending on high high power drain gets buffed.
This has the knock on effect of requirin more power from the engine (still most likely less then it can produce, but hopefully more than what solars alone can make).

Then on top of that, give the CE a console to control the flow of power round the station - (IC wise to make sure power goes where it needs to in emergencies, in practice more likely to depower the brig honkhonkhonk).
This would have controls fine enough to control exactly how much power goes where (for example, send only enough power to science to keep environmental power running, not equipment), and if mismanaged/hacked, would allow for accidental/intentional power surges as you send five million watts of power into chemistry or something, and potentially fry anyone near the apc/machines, requiring repairs to sort out.

That could also be added as a random event - random power surge.

You could even add the cool mini map that the crew monitor has.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #157935

Did that shock gib thing hg made ever get merged? If so that would be hilarious with the power console you mentioned.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Sestren
Byond Username: Sestren413

Post by Sestren » #158069

lumipharon wrote:Semi related again, but hey.

Increase the energy drain of everything, so shit can't last on apc power for so long (seriously, it can last bloody ages). This could also potentially remove the infinite power via recharging batteries thing, depending on high high power drain gets buffed.
This has the knock on effect of requirin more power from the engine (still most likely less then it can produce, but hopefully more than what solars alone can make).

Then on top of that, give the CE a console to control the flow of power round the station - (IC wise to make sure power goes where it needs to in emergencies, in practice more likely to depower the brig honkhonkhonk).
This would have controls fine enough to control exactly how much power goes where (for example, send only enough power to science to keep environmental power running, not equipment), and if mismanaged/hacked, would allow for accidental/intentional power surges as you send five million watts of power into chemistry or something, and potentially fry anyone near the apc/machines, requiring repairs to sort out.

That could also be added as a random event - random power surge.

You could even add the cool mini map that the crew monitor has.
Minimaps still need to be fixed so they don't cause crashes and I was under the impression that large alterations to the powernet tended to cause spikes in lag. If the technical issues get sorted, that would be a good change. APCs do last way too long on their default batteries and nobody ever bothers upgrading them except MAYBE some of the ones in security.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #158090

lumipharon wrote:Then on top of that, give the CE a console to control the flow of power round the station - (IC wise to make sure power goes where it needs to in emergencies, in practice more likely to depower the brig honkhonkhonk).
bay has this
in practice it's entirely optional whether you want to bother setting it up or not but being able to go "INCOMING METEORS, DIVERT ALL POWER TO SHIELDS" is neat
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #158109

Lumi's suggestion sounds cool flavor-wise, but I don't know how realistic it would be to implement code-wise. It might make for a cool power rework in the future, but for now the collider in science shouldn't be too hard for somebody to code. Plasma and power to in, new material comes out.

Goofball, any plans to make this?
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #158120

Luke Cox wrote:Lumi's suggestion sounds cool flavor-wise, but I don't know how realistic it would be to implement code-wise.
basically, bay do it with remote-control options for SMESs, and a "breaker" machine that connects/disconnects a wire it's parked on. Flip the breaker, and it disconnects a department from the main power grid.
Each department also has its own SMES which is fed from the grid and outputs into the department.

So... code-wise, easy. Mapping it is another matter.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #158149

Screemonster wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Lumi's suggestion sounds cool flavor-wise, but I don't know how realistic it would be to implement code-wise.
basically, bay do it with remote-control options for SMESs, and a "breaker" machine that connects/disconnects a wire it's parked on. Flip the breaker, and it disconnects a department from the main power grid.
Each department also has its own SMES which is fed from the grid and outputs into the department.

So... code-wise, easy. Mapping it is another matter.
Yeah, mapping is an issue too. Number one benefit of the collider idea is that it would take minimal mapping effort. Just needs some sprites, and I may not be coderbus but the code doesn't sound complicated. It also has the added benefit of serving as a soft nerf to R&D by making more advanced items more expensive, and dependent on engineering.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #158152

That's why it should be an engineering thing, not a science thing.

If it's some machine in the experimentor lab it's just a science toy that requires engineering to wire the engine into the grid or something.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #158154

I'm not really sure what a machine like that would do in engineering, nor can I think of a place to actually put it. Science has a clear use for it, and an ideal location for it. The point is that the extra singularity or tesla, solars, or turbine will actually have some use now. Engineers' autism can be put to use.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #158161

Just like the large hadron collider in real life, although it's used for scientific research, the thing is just a fuckhuge engineering project.

Engineering make the power, they have the capability to setup (if they're very very clever 3 engines round start, and they also have the plasma.
If the eggheads want their anti-matter or whatever fluff the collider makes, let them leave the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower and go over to engineering, or where ever they decide to build it.

Science is insular enough as is.

Also it's bloody engineering, they don't NEED a place to put it, they can BUILD a place to put it.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #158239

lumipharon wrote:Just like the large hadron collider in real life, although it's used for scientific research, the thing is just a fuckhuge engineering project.

Engineering make the power, they have the capability to setup (if they're very very clever 3 engines round start, and they also have the plasma.
If the eggheads want their anti-matter or whatever fluff the collider makes, let them leave the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS tower and go over to engineering, or where ever they decide to build it.

Science is insular enough as is.

Also it's bloody engineering, they don't NEED a place to put it, they can BUILD a place to put it.
Build it around the entire station, pass the popcorn as security and the AI freak out every time the octants near the armoury or AI sat go down and engineers trip motion alarms left, right and center to fix it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #158262

Since SS13 is a research station, perhaps they should be given round-specific "goals"? You know, tasks and projects from NT to build.
(This is basically expanding on that "build the thing gamemode" idea further back in the thread, except, you know, -with things going on-)

Projects like build and maintain a hadron collider.
Ideally the projects would be heavily Engineering+Science focused.

Antags (Specifically traitors most likely) could get objectives to sabotage the active project of the round.

Thoughts?
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #158263

Remie Richards wrote:Since SS13 is a research station, perhaps they should be given round-specific "goals"? You know, tasks and projects from NT to build.
(This is basically expanding on that "build the thing gamemode" idea further back in the thread, except, you know, -with things going on-)

Projects like build and maintain a hadron collider.
Ideally the projects would be heavily Engineering+Science focused.

Antags (Specifically traitors most likely) could get objectives to sabotage the active project of the round.

Thoughts?
So long as "sabotage" doesn't mean "murder everyone the moment you get the objective".
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #158275

Make it so engineering can store excess power to a special SMES linked to cargo. QM can sell that power for points and get goodies for engineering.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #160570

There is one aspect of atmos/engineering that has been way played down and is very important on a space station: HEAT.

Sure the cold of space is one way to die, but on a (real world, i know) space station, heat has nowhere to go and must be radiated away.

Currently all we have that really produces heat, is the occasional fire. Computers do not heat up anymore, and we have chillers that can suck the heat out of a cryotube and makes it magically disappear.

* ChemMaster can produce chemicals from essentially nothing, this should use a LOT more power than it currently does.
* Hydroponics should be able to get "sun lamps" that use a lot of power but speed up plant growth.
* Destructive analyser? experimentor? Those should also eat a lot of juice.
* What about the teleporter room? Ever watched stargate?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #160719

Screemonster wrote:I eagerly await people blaming goofball when they're incinerated on the spot for trying to hack when there are forty gajillion watts in the grid to power the deathcollider.
Shock damage from hacking caps out, so it's their fault
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #160973

Takeguru wrote:
Screemonster wrote:I eagerly await people blaming goofball when they're incinerated on the spot for trying to hack when there are forty gajillion watts in the grid to power the deathcollider.
Shock damage from hacking caps out, so it's their fault
doesn't mean they won't blame him anyway.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #161039

I understand why it is capped, but I still think it is lame
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster