Emergency Access Override wire

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Emergency Access Override wire

Post by Slignerd » #148334

There's currently a lack of an Emergency Access Override (EAO) wire on airlocks, making it the only door mode that cannot be changed by tampering with the wires. Since we have a few unused wires, I suggest we use one of these, and add it as a wire in the airlocks.
I thought of an idea regarding how said wires would work, and while I'm no coder and I won't be able to make a pull request myself, I'd like to know how difficult it would be to implement, and whether you think its implementation would be worth it!

PULSE
In order to engage EAO by PULSING, the ID SCAN wire must be cut first. Nearly identical to the current requirements for the functionality of the OPEN/CLOSE wire.
Mending the ID SCAN afterwards would not affect EAO's state.
  • PULSING while EAO is OFF, if ID SCAN wire is cut
    Switches EAO on
  • PULSING while EAO is ON
    Switches EAO off
CUT/MEND
Much like you can't raise bolts with wirecutters alone, you can't engage EAO by cutting or mending wires. You can however use it to disengage it or prevent it from being engaged.
  • CUTTING
    Disengages EAO if it's active and removes EAO functionality from the doors.
  • MENDING
    Does not affect the current state, but restores the ability to engage EAO by AI and remotes.
Does that look alright? It's easy for those skilled in airlock operation, but not too easy as to have it triggered by accidentally pulsing just one of the wires.
Last edited by Slignerd on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 12 times in total.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Re: Emergency Access Override wire

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #148335

Just what we need, another way to make it easy for assistants to hack into science and tamper with everything until either I borg them or they beat me to death for trying to borg them.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #148336

I'm not sure if it's easy - bolting things open is much easier and takes way less effort.

Steps needed to bolt things open:
  1. Get a pair of wirecutters.
  2. Identify the power and bolt wires.
  3. Cut the power wire, apply crowbar
  4. Cut the bolt wire.
Steps needed to activate EAO manually:
  1. Get a pair of wirecutters and a multitool.
  2. Identify the ID scan wire by pulsing and watching the airlock.
  3. Cut the ID scan wire with the wirecutters.
  4. Identify the EAO wire by pulsing and watching the airlock.

Then just replace "identify" with pulsing the specific wires. It requires multitools, which are harder to get than regular tools and it would allow engineers to engage EAO somewhere when it's needed, or disengage it where it's not. It's not like it's easier than any other methods Assistants currently use.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #148340

The problem with EAO hackable on every door is that one person activating it makes it easy for everyone else to enter, and it doesn't reset itself like messing with the power wires does.It would make stemming a tide immensely more difficult as they hack doors to make them Free Access that has to be shut off manually.

Also ID Scan is also not toggleable via Door Wires currently, as it's AI Only like EAO access is. That's also something I don't want to see a wire for, Bolt Wire already covers that functionality.

Also from an electrical standpoint, Pulsing a cut wire to make an effect does not make any realistic sense. If the wire is cut, there's no circuit.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #148343

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Also ID Scan is also not toggleable via Door Wires currently, as it's AI Only like EAO access is. That's also something I don't want to see a wire for, Bolt Wire already covers that functionality.
Actually, it is.

When pulsed, ID Scan wire makes the airlock pulse with red light - no other effect, no indication on the window panel. When cut, it makes access-restricted doors inaccessible to anyone.
When the Open/Close wire is pulsed with the ID scan wire cut, it opens the doors immediately.

That's how it currently works, and it's nothing new. And again, I don't think EAO coded this way allows access in any easier way that just pulsing the bolt wire while the doors are open?
Just the fact that people always use the power wires instead of the ID Scan method shows that many players just won't really use it.
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Also from an electrical standpoint, Pulsing a cut wire to make an effect does not make any realistic sense. If the wire is cut, there's no circuit.
Uhh... please re-read the original post? While one wire is cut, you pulse another. Again, the exact same manner how it already works on another example.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #148381

It makes sense. It'd be quite difficult to fix it, though, if you don't know the EAO wire - you'd have to cut and mend it. So to avoid people EAOing every door, you'd need to have it so only cutting the wire does something...
... but then people can get doors open by cutting everything, which probably isn't the best idea. Maybe if mending the IDScan wire disabled EAO? That way you can fix an EAO'd door with just wirecutters and a screwdriver, without the risk of shocking yourself.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #148402

Well, it's a lot like bolts - if someone just pulses the bolt wire rather than cutting it, its is difficult to unbolt it since you can't tell which wire is responsible for bolts. I think if you can't tell which wire is responsible for EAO, the solution could be the same as with the bolted doors - simply asking the AI to fix it.

If you do know the EAO wire though, all it would take is cutting it and mending back - you don't even need a multitool.
Maybe if mending the IDScan wire disabled EAO? That way you can fix an EAO'd door with just wirecutters and a screwdriver, without the risk of shocking yourself.
I'm not sure if that's ideal - if only because there would still be EAO activated by AI, which wouldn't have the ID scan wire cut in the first place. Then, if the AI disabled EAO on hacked doors, the ID scan wire would remain cut - making the access impossible even for those who should have it.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #148506

Sligneris wrote:Well, it's a lot like bolts - if someone just pulses the bolt wire rather than cutting it, its is difficult to unbolt it since you can't tell which wire is responsible for bolts. I think if you can't tell which wire is responsible for EAO, the solution could be the same as with the bolted doors - simply asking the AI to fix it.

If you do know the EAO wire though, all it would take is cutting it and mending back - you don't even need a multitool.
Maybe if mending the IDScan wire disabled EAO? That way you can fix an EAO'd door with just wirecutters and a screwdriver, without the risk of shocking yourself.
I'm not sure if that's ideal - if only because there would still be EAO activated by AI, which wouldn't have the ID scan wire cut in the first place. Then, if the AI disabled EAO on hacked doors, the ID scan wire would remain cut - making the access impossible even for those who should have it.
denying access isn't the problem, however, allowing access is.

If you EAO the brig, for instance, you're allowing anyone access for as long as somebody can't fix it right away, which is probably not going to be unless there's an AI or sec can stem the tide long enough to find and engineer / get a toolbox. with the power wire, the door at least closes again after a minute, and you have to close it manually and that's it until it's rehacked, and you don't have to risk getting shocked to fix after the timer resets unless it's already shocked, or you have gloves (or you know the wires if you're fixing EAO), or you're dealing with another problem entirely (both power wires cut, AI opening it, bolted open, etc), all of which take at as much effort as it would to EAO hack
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #148600

Yakumo_Chen wrote:If you EAO the brig, for instance, you're allowing anyone access for as long as somebody can't fix it right away, which is probably not going to be unless there's an AI or sec can stem the tide long enough to find and engineer / get a toolbox.
Again, isn't it the same as it's for pulsing a bolt wire while the doors are open? It's not like it's gonna be anything new.

Does it give more alternatives for hacking Assistants? Sure. Does it become easier for Assistants than the current options? I don't think so... It has the good sides, too - for example, if the AI was killed or subverted, the station is filled with breaches, you could EAO doors to EVA to allow everyone easy access to space suits - things like that would be useful.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #148654

Pulsing the ID sync wire should temporarily disable ID checks, then you should be able to pulse the door open wire to force the door open.

That way pro l33t engineer hackers can do a better job of overriding doors with only two tools compared the the three the knuckle dragging greyshirt simpletons have to use.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #148706

TheNightingale wrote:Maybe if mending the IDScan wire disabled EAO?
Pulsing the IDscan wire disables emergency access, currently.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #148823

Actionb wrote:
TheNightingale wrote:Maybe if mending the IDScan wire disabled EAO?
Pulsing the IDscan wire disables emergency access, currently.
Then that's something that could come in handy too, I guess!
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #153838

Wait, why would you need to cut the ID Scan wire to use EAO? How would you be able to tell which wire is EAO if the ID Scan wire is not cut? Make some sort of notification in the chat, like a "sound". :?
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #160506

The Ultimate Chimera wrote:How would you be able to tell which wire is EAO if the ID Scan wire is not cut?
You wouldn't, that's the point. You would need to cut the ID scan wire before hunting for the EAO wire.

Also, a small update: I've adjusted the idea to make EAO even easier to disable by pulsing the wire, regardless of the ID scan wire.