Botany QOL suggestion

A place to record your ideas for the game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Botany QOL suggestion

Post by lumipharon » #163005

I enjoy playing botany a fair bit, but it requires a lot of effort, and more importantly a lot of constant effort, as even a few minutes of inattention = dead plants.
While you can still have seeds stored, it's just annoying having to constantly tend to every single plant/let them die/kill them off, hence this QOL suggestion.

Original idea (TM)

Basically, if the hydroponic trays get upgraded to a certain level, then they gain extra functionality where you can press a button/multitool it/whateverthefuck, which will cause whatever is (or isn't) growing there to freeze.
No growth, no aging, no nutrient consumption, it's simply frozen until you toggle it again.

This would let you put plants on ice when you don't want to tend them/don't need their produce, then easily start them up again without having to start from a seed.
More importantly, it would let you make botany plants into decorative pieces, as you can leave them around looking pretty without them dying after 5 minutes.

This is a tiny change in terms of mechanics/balance or whatever, just a small QOL thing that can also be used to make the station pretty.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Botany QOL suggestion

Post by kevinz000 » #163008

After kor makes R&D cost metric tons of minerals to OPERATE, have fun getting upgrades.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #163010

kevinz000 wrote:After Kor reverts it to how it was for most of the game's existence
Fixed that for you.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163027

Mining is actually less effective now than it's ever been, and I'm talking all the way back to baymining with the smelter, not just goof's T4s. Ash storms constantly putting a dead halt onto mining activities means it takes even longer just to get resources for basic upgrades.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #163029

It may also be a factor of people not yet being experienced with lavaland as well, so there might be a lag time for mining to get up to speed.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #163034

Except Ash Storms are completely unavoidable. You could say that people became less effecient with monsters added to mining since Goliaths and Basilisks will kill anyone who comes into melee range to duke it out, but they could be avoided entirely by staying on the eastern asteroid or just keeping away caves. Ash Storms are everywhere on lavaland and nothing short of the bluespace capsules to make shelters (which are griff ready and can't even be oriented so the door faces you) and they bypass all other traditional forms of protection.

If I don't have a KA/PC while asteroid mining and run into a Golaith, I can always just go around it or try fighting it via juking, slowing me down but never stopping me. If an ash storm starts on the lava world, I have no choice but to wait it out or die.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #163039

Can we please not make this yet another mining bitching thread?

I think this is a cool idea, I can make pretty flowers and glowing ambrosia plants to decorate the station
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #163118

Please no derail - below t4 upgrades only use metal and glass (for the parts that the hydro trays use) anyway so it literally has nothing to do with this suggestion.
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163128

I would suggest just adding flowerpots as an item to the biogenerator. Use a shovel to remove a plant from its planter and place it in the flowerpot prevents you from harvesting anything from it, but also stops its aging and looks pretty. Picking up and throwing a full plant at someone has a chance of dropping some of the ingredients from the plant- which should also trigger any effects from said ingredients.

Throw a potted bluespace tomato plant at someone on the shuttle for maximum rage! Throw a gatfruit bush at someone and watch as all the loaded guns go off when they hit the ground.

Smashing an empty pot also should have a chance to drop a diamond ore.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #163143

DanielRatherman wrote:Smashing an empty pot also should have a chance to drop a diamond ore.
inb4 upgraded biogenerator memes
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #163159

DemonFiren wrote:
DanielRatherman wrote:Smashing an empty pot also should have a chance to drop a diamond ore.
inb4 upgraded biogenerator memes
I was imagining like a 1 in 100 chance for memage. The kind of thing where you would have to have a 10x improved biogeneration ratio and grow nothing but a fuckton of the highest yield plants just for a handfull of diamonds. Alternatively have it drop space cash or coins.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #163164

Coins would be less balance fucking.
Also pots in general are a good idea, but I would still love to see that as ADDITION to my original idea, unless you are able to remove plants from pots and put them back into trays, in which case the OP isn't needed at all.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #163773

i'm completely okay with this
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg