TONGUES

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

TONGUES

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #166850

Should be surgery available to remove someone's tongue and make their words all muddled and unintelligible. Lizards would have split tongues. Also, surgery to bifurcate/fuse tongues. Bifurcating a humans tongue gives them a lizard hiss so they can disguise as a dirty skink, fusing a lizards tongue does the opposite of that.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: TONGUES

Post by Scott » #166862

Yes.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #166884

Eh, a split tongue isn't what causes the hiss. Body modders get split tongues and once they get used to it there isn't a noticeable speech difference. The reason reptiles hiss is because it's a way of communicating.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #166888

Cheimon wrote:Eh, a split tongue isn't what causes the hiss. Body modders get split tongues and once they get used to it there isn't a noticeable speech difference. The reason reptiles hiss is because it's a way of communicating.
WEE WOO WEE WOO NON REALISTIC FUN IN 2D SPACEMANS DETECTED WEE WOO WE WOO CALLING ALL FUNPATROL UNITS, DEPLOY WIKIPEDIA PAGE AND CALL IN NEIL DEGRASSE-TYSON WE GOT SOME ASSHOLE TRYING TO HAVE FUN OVER HERE.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #166890

if you can believe it tying speech mods like hissing to physical tongues is a thing I've wanted for a while
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #166935

Incoming wrote:if you can believe it tying speech mods like hissing to physical tongues is a thing I've wanted for a while
i believe you
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #166941

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Incoming wrote:if you can believe it tying speech mods like hissing to physical tongues is a thing I've wanted for a while
i believe you
I'm glad I have your support in these trying times on tongue issues.

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #166967

i am not only a provider of good ideas but also a patron of good ideas
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #166976

Allow tongues to also be cooked and eaten as delicacies,
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #166980

I think one of my first experiences in SS13 was getting taken from arrivals shuttle by force and to brig, where security cut both my hands off. That may have been vg.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #166981

My first SS13 round ever was on Hippie. I got flashed in the hallways and then got all my teeth punched out by a security officer
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #166988

yeah this is a pretty neat idea

cant help but feel it would be way cooler/easier to implement with dismemberment
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #167035

PKPenguin321 wrote:yeah this is a pretty neat idea

cant help but feel it would be way cooler/easier to implement with dismemberment
Yup, let's do this with dismemberment.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #167048

"lets bundle this really simple idea with this really complicated one that never gets done despite a lot of desire for it"

And you wonder why the coders don't visit

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #167052

Don't bundle this with dismemeberment, I want this to actually be implemented you daft shitters.
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #167085

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Cheimon wrote:Eh, a split tongue isn't what causes the hiss. Body modders get split tongues and once they get used to it there isn't a noticeable speech difference. The reason reptiles hiss is because it's a way of communicating.
WEE WOO WEE WOO NON REALISTIC FUN IN 2D SPACEMANS DETECTED WEE WOO WE WOO CALLING ALL FUNPATROL UNITS, DEPLOY WIKIPEDIA PAGE AND CALL IN NEIL DEGRASSE-TYSON WE GOT SOME ASSHOLE TRYING TO HAVE FUN OVER HERE.

This can be used to defend literally anything. I mean sure, do it, it doesn't hurt me. I won't have fun with it (I mean, how fun can something so incredibly minor end up being?) but I'm not trying to stop other peoples. Just slow misinformation.

I mean seriously, literally any proposed change that people think doesn't make sense can be argued against by "WEEWOO FUN POLICE LOOK EVERYBODY HE HATES FUN".
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #167159

Realism is irrelevant. Crag has a good idea here, one that should be implemented. (But not my me. I am lazy.)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167173

Cheimon wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:

This can be used to defend literally anything. I mean sure, do it, it doesn't hurt me. I won't have fun with it (I mean, how fun can something so incredibly minor end up being?) but I'm not trying to stop other peoples. Just slow misinformation.

I mean seriously, literally any proposed change that people think doesn't make sense can be argued against by "WEEWOO FUN POLICE LOOK EVERYBODY HE HATES FUN".
yeah but that's not his point, your post didn't say that it wouldn't be fun, but that it would be unrealistic.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #167206

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Cheimon wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:

yeah but that's not his point, your post didn't say that it wouldn't be fun, but that it would be unrealistic.
I'm struggling to see what your point is.
Gun Hog wrote:Realism is irrelevant. Crag has a good idea here, one that should be implemented. (But not my me. I am lazy.)
Realism's definitely relevant, it's just that everyone disagrees on the degree to which it is (or, to put it another way, the degree to which people will suspend their disbelief). Why not create a surgery to people's left leg that makes them hiss in speech? Most people would answer that it doesn't really make much sense (they'd probably say it should be a mouth surgery), and they wouldn't see the point in it. I could follow that up by telling them that they were fun-hating nerds, but it wouldn't change their opinion. There's plenty of good unrealistic content in the game. Wizards are a frequently mentioned example, although by this point space magic has a certain amount of internal consistency. But if someone's posting on the forum that it would be fun to have a game version of a realistic procedure, with certain effects, there's nothing wrong with pointing out which parts do and don't make sense. Equally, part of the fun of certain game mechanics is that they do feel more realistic, and it adds an amount of immersion. I'm rambling but I think you get the point.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #167215

cheimon if you don't like the idea you can just say "i don't like this idea" you don't need to stay up night and day shitposting because something as simple as transferring a speech impediment across alien races shatters your immulshions
Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #167221

Super Aggro Crag wrote:cheimon if you don't like the idea you can just say "i don't like this idea" you don't need to stay up night and day shitposting because something as simple as transferring a speech impediment across alien races shatters your immulshions
Like I already said, I don't mind the idea. I was just interested to learn that having a split tongue doesn't cause a speech impediment ages ago, and thought it was a relevant thing to mention when you posted that splitting a tongue should cause a speech impediment in game.

Then that changed into a discussion about the merits of realism generally, but that's a different discussion to this specific idea.
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #167258

I'm not sure where this thread went but https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/16704

Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #168155

(1:32:51 PM) Cheridan: http://i.imgur.com/rhQICzR.png are these gross enough
(1:33:19 PM) Antur: ew
(1:33:55 PM) Cheridan: yay
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #168168

great work, cherry dan!
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #168384

zombie tongue in lavaland chests when?