Whitelist nukeops

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should nukeops be whitelist only?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 36

InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Whitelist nukeops

Post by InsaneHyena » #185945

There is no antag with worse than reputation than nuke ops. Even cult with it's horrible winrate isn't such a meme. There's a reason they're called fluke ops so often - the server picks random people, who may very well be unrobust disorganized scrubs, and throws them at the force that has at least superior numbers, but also often superior skill at their side - and this is something no amount of telecrystals can overcome. I know this issue's been hotly debated before, but I'll raise it again. Do you think nuke ops should be whitelisted? If so, who are the players you would whitelist?
Bring back papercult.

lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Re: Whitelist nukeops

Post by lzimann » #185948

whitelist stuff is a bad idea, how the fuck people are supposed to learn if they can't play that role
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #185950

And fluke ops are wayyyyyy more fun to watch than to watch a group of 5 efficient people who stealth kill the capt, kill the ai, bomb armory, and destroy the mining shuttles/teleporters on the station in 10 minutes tops.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #186024

lzimann wrote:whitelist stuff is a bad idea, how the fuck people are supposed to learn if they can't play that role
This is the most infuriating fucking thing on the planet. I hate how this is a fucking admin saying this too.

YOU DON'T LEARN ANTAGS BY 'PLAYING' THEM AND FLOUNDERING AROUND FOR 40 MINUTES SETTING UP YOUR LOADOUT. YOU LEARN BY SPECTATING, FIGHTING THEM, OR READING THEIR WIKI ENTRY.

80% OF NUKE OP PLAYERS DO NONE OF THE ABOVE ON THEIR FIRST TIME. IT'S FUCKING SHIT.

Nuke op either needs to be massively streamlined (kill this shitty uplink system please) or needs to have like a 3+ month wait period because retards who have barely played sabotage nuke rounds most of the time and as a result the gamemode needs to be balanced around most of your team being complete fucking shitters.

Next time I hear "but how will they learn without playing the role?" I'm probably gonna lose faith in the ability of our playerbase to recognize the many, many alternative forms of training that aren't a 'trial by fire' aka 'piss off people who actually know how to play nuke op and finally rolled it'
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #186028

paprika wrote:
lzimann wrote:whitelist stuff is a bad idea, how the fuck people are supposed to learn if they can't play that role
This is the most infuriating fucking thing on the planet. I hate how this is a fucking admin saying this too.

YOU DON'T LEARN ANTAGS BY 'PLAYING' THEM AND FLOUNDERING AROUND FOR 40 MINUTES SETTING UP YOUR LOADOUT. YOU LEARN BY SPECTATING, FIGHTING THEM, OR READING THEIR WIKI ENTRY.

80% OF NUKE OP PLAYERS DO NONE OF THE ABOVE ON THEIR FIRST TIME. IT'S FUCKING SHIT.

Nuke op either needs to be massively streamlined (kill this shitty uplink system please) or needs to have like a 3+ month wait period because retards who have barely played sabotage nuke rounds most of the time and as a result the gamemode needs to be balanced around most of your team being complete fucking shitters.

Next time I hear "but how will they learn without playing the role?" I'm probably gonna lose faith in the ability of our playerbase to recognize the many, many alternative forms of training that aren't a 'trial by fire' aka 'piss off people who actually know how to play nuke op and finally rolled it'
It's an argument for streamlining, not an argument for doing nothing. Unless one is trying to argue the current situation is fine, then feel free to pull out the yelling.

People should expect to learn by doing. That's how all good games work. That's how 99% of all games period work. Why do we insist on throwing so many unnecessary hurdles in front of the nuke ops?
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #186031

If you can have nuke op on despite not having your grips on the game (hint, a longer time barrier) or before even seeing a nuke op ingame/fighting against one, you really should not be able to fuckin roll into them.

It's absolutely bizarre that this can happen to new players and sabotage nuke op rounds. Nuke op rounds are highly competitive, moreso than traitor, because nuke ops are the only antag that doesn't need to rely on stealth and can be balanced as being on-par with a crew full of bloodthirsty employees in regular combat, not just 'who ambushes who first'.

This kind of combat doesn't allow for the rookie mistakes of people not yet attuned to the robust combat system of ss13 thus whether or not nuke ops are streamlined it's still a damn good idea to not let users under a month old (or a better solution, less than x rounds played) roll nuke op and be 'that guy' that fumbles around and orders one of the many worthless things the uplink is bloated with that they have no clue what to do with.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #186033

whitelists are stupid and so is paprika
lzimann

Post by lzimann » #186034

there's a lot of older players that do "rookie mistakes", shit happens and you can't expect to win every single round you play as nuke ops.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #186036

TechnoAlchemist wrote:whitelists are stupid and so is paprika
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #186038

>Paprika thinks whitelisting is a good idea
>Paprika thinks you don't learn through gameplay

Yet another "Paprika you're dumb and wrong go away" moment

Personal example: I used to hate nops because they were so often flukes, so I disabled getting put in as one. I eventually cut it back on because I wanted to see the fancy toys they had, and in my first round back I was hesitant and got put in as just the guy guarding the power sink. I didn't achieve much but I helped some and we ended up winning, and in the process grew more confident and knowledgeable.

Second round I was more confident and I geared up on strike gear. I proceeded to be the MVP and win the round by swatting the cap in the heart of security and escaping before sec dunked me.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #186040

You don't learn things until you try them. My first ops round was on Hippie and the only thing I did was run around and murderbone for 30 minutes until the shuttle arrived. I didn't really do much else.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TankNut
Byond Username: TankNut

Post by TankNut » #186042

Why would you bother whitelisting nukeops when teaching new people is half the fun? Hell, I've played with some guys who actually had great ideas and arguably won us the round.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #186043

needs to have like a 3+ month wait period
Yeah because you're totally going to be a pro after three or more months without even touching the role.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #186044

You should know enough at that point that you aren't a complete burden to the team

The biggest issue with ops is when they forget to suicide/succumb when they get detained/critted
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #186048

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #186049

Only thing nukeops (and all team antags) need is a reasonable minimum play time before they can opt in.
Sure, it won't stop retards from fucking it up, but it will stop literally new players from doing it.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #186051

lumipharon wrote:Only thing nukeops (and all team antags) need is a reasonable minimum play time before they can opt in.
Sure, it won't stop retards from fucking it up, but it will stop literally new players from doing it.
This is literally what I suggested in my post before people started screaming that I wanted whitelists

What the fuck is wrong with this community
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #186054

lumipharon wrote:Only thing nukeops (and all team antags) need is a reasonable minimum play time before they can opt in.
We already have this
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #186058

Incoming wrote:
We already have this
Oh right, that happened.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #186063

The problem with Ops is a combination of people who simply lack any real sense of combat experience, experience that can be acquired from time played on the server and other antag roles such as Traitor, and lack of communication and team play.

Nuke Ops is all about the Ops working togther to achieve a goal, while its theoretically possible for a single Op to accomplish his objective, but that usually entails said Op going "stealth" meme's or if the crew's half dead already.

I've seen Ops who literally just fuck off once the shuttle docks and go do whatever and then die to no one.

Whitelisting Ops would help since it'll at least ensure you'll have competent players as Ops, but it'll never happen since the word 'whitelist' is almost akin to blasphemy.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #186078

nuclear operative is a specialized skillset that can really only be developed by playing nuclear operative.

they have tons of equipment that your average newbie will simply never use; projectile weapons, magazines, exotic grenades, heavy weapons, jetpacks, complicated hardsuits etc.

they also have to work as a team which many players are simply not used to.

the only way to get better is to play. reading the wiki isn't going to do shit for your ability to work in a fireteam, at best it will teach you the basics like "how do i use a jetpack" which is only 20% of the difficulty, tops.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #186094

Lets be real here

Any application for this would have to be laughably low-effort or nobody would fucking bother

And if it's such a low bar why even have it
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #186097

http://www.ss13.eu/tgdb/tg/latest_stats ... _emergency

Ops already win the majority of the time though.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #186101

Except if you look at the stats more closely you'll see Ops win almost guaranteed 100% on lower populations. Also the overall win stat does not account for antag half wins.

In fact, if you place Nuke Op half wins alongside wins you'll see Ops technically win around 75% of the time!

------

20 to 40 people Ops have near virtually a 100% win rate (a antag halfwin is still a win imo).

On 40 to 49 people the win rates about 85% (accounting for antag halfwin).

Only on about 50 to 59 people do the rounds have about a 50% win rate

------

Statistically it seems Op win most of the time outside of extreme high pop.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #186111

I'd like to derail this thread for a moment

You're all wrong.

The reason is that people learn in 3 different ways:

Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic.

Visual learners learn by researching shit. Give 'em a guide on how to play nuke ops and they'll learn all they need to know from that guide. However, they'll need that guide to learn it well, and won't function as well if they get thrown into the role/are trying to fight against people, or someone's yelling at them "DO THIS NOT THAT".

Auditory learners learn by having someone lecture to them/walk them through the process. Give 'em a good mentor who can tell them "get dat fukken disk" and point them in the direction of the condom dispensary, and they'll be operating like a j_mad that we know is him. They aren't going to function as well if they try to read a guide and do it solo, or if they just get thrown into it no prep time.

Kinesthetic learners learn by doing the task they want to learn. Throw them into the role and they'll be putting bullets in the heads of staff in no time. They aren't going to function as well if they try to read a guide, or someone tries to yell at them "CONDOM IS THAT WAY DO AS I SAY".

Disabling 2 of those 3 in favor of just one isolates players, and prevents a large majority of people from learning how to do ops. It seems like this suggestion is not to "help players learn", but to create a circle of friends who are the only ones who can play nuke ops and decide who stays/goes. This is a horrible horrible thing and you should feel bad for disguising this thinly veiled attempt to make a circlejerk out of a core SS13 gamemode.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #186114

I've always been interested in the idea of making a sort of offline tutorial for certain antagonist roles.

The idea being you get a narrator to walk through a basic guide and a basic controlled scenario for a higher level antagonists, to introduce them to the basics of their role, including equipment, economy, as well as threat assessment and how to achieve their objectives.

It would be a lot of work and likely impossible but it would be a big boon to helping newer players to get used to a role BEFORE playing the role in a multiplayer online environment.

It would also be very hands off, since you would not need admins/mentors to be on hand all the time.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #186123

Personally I think a lot of nuke flop low pop vics would be prevented if the disk spawned on the bridge instead of the caps office. I've seen lots of flukes win because the acive staff never had a chance to get into the office before flops showed up and emagged their way in.

As for white listing ops? Fuck no. Maaaaybe make the Commander a separate role and white list that, since lots of rounds can make or break on whether or not the commander has their shit together, but whitelisting the entire mode is fucking stupid. Most nuke failures I've seen is a general lack of teamwork, people doing their own thing and often buying their gear without consulting each other first.
Last edited by Davidchan on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #186142

iamgoofball wrote:I'd like to derail this thread for a moment

You're all wrong.

The reason is that people learn in 3 different ways:

Visual, Auditory, and Kinesthetic.

Visual learners learn by researching shit. Give 'em a guide on how to play nuke ops and they'll learn all they need to know from that guide. However, they'll need that guide to learn it well, and won't function as well if they get thrown into the role/are trying to fight against people, or someone's yelling at them "DO THIS NOT THAT".

Auditory learners learn by having someone lecture to them/walk them through the process. Give 'em a good mentor who can tell them "get dat fukken disk" and point them in the direction of the condom dispensary, and they'll be operating like a j_mad that we know is him. They aren't going to function as well if they try to read a guide and do it solo, or if they just get thrown into it no prep time.

Kinesthetic learners learn by doing the task they want to learn. Throw them into the role and they'll be putting bullets in the heads of staff in no time. They aren't going to function as well if they try to read a guide, or someone tries to yell at them "CONDOM IS THAT WAY DO AS I SAY".

Disabling 2 of those 3 in favor of just one isolates players, and prevents a large majority of people from learning how to do ops. It seems like this suggestion is not to "help players learn", but to create a circle of friends who are the only ones who can play nuke ops and decide who stays/goes. This is a horrible horrible thing and you should feel bad for disguising this thinly veiled attempt to make a circlejerk out of a core SS13 gamemode.
Never thought I'd say this about goof of all people, but this is pretty much the best post in this thread at the moment.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #186178

Bolien wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #186215

kevinz000 wrote:
Bolien wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:
I literally never said I wanted whitelists, this quote chain is full of people who can't fucking read
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #186236

I have genuinely never seen OPs lose except due to their own incompetence.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #186321

Whitelisting anything is a bad idea. If someone is really that bad, we already have a solution for said person, blacklisting.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #186324

I'm actually surprised at how rarely Ops seem to lose.

Though its the reason why I dislike Op rounds as security, outside of the Ops fluking hard the Ops are otherwise near guaranteed to win.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #186328

That's probably because Security are just completely outpaced by ops in every way. Ops have better armor, gear, and the element of surprise. The only time things are vaguely even is when war is called and the crew can get ready for shit to go down.

Idea: What if the ops got declared when they first arrive at the station z-level? Shit man, actually I'm making a new thread for this.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #186580

Some kind of alarm when an un-authorized ship comes within the Z?

The white ship would have to do it too.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #186655

The answer is to make a team v team nukeops vs ERT respawn enabled ticket counter gamemode so everyone can learn how to fight
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #186670

oranges wrote:The answer is to make a team v team nukeops vs ERT respawn enabled ticket counter gamemode so everyone can learn how to fight
We already have that! CTF is good for this kind of thing when admins are up for it.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
lzimann

Post by lzimann » #186890

Xhuis wrote:
oranges wrote:The answer is to make a team v team nukeops vs ERT respawn enabled ticket counter gamemode so everyone can learn how to fight
We already have that! CTF is good for this kind of thing when admins are up for it.
i made it to activate with a single button press(and then shadow made notifications for ghosts), so all people need to do is ask for it.