Mafia: Gang replacement (as suggested by many) [Updated]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Mafia: Gang replacement (as suggested by many) [Updated]

Post by Luke Cox » #206278

Goofball came up with this idea originally, so yeah. Credit goes to him. A bunch of people have been talking about something to this effect but nobody's bothered to compile it into a thread so here we go:
  • A certain number of crew spawn as mafia members at roundstart. Perhaps 10% of the crew. Could possibly have a bias to be from the same department.
  • Unlike other group antags, there is a distinct power structure. Each mafia has a Godfather, underboss, and soldiers.
  • Godfathers gain access to a mafia-themed equipment uplink, which they may use to distribute equipment to the family as they see fit.
  • The godfather's uplink starts with only a small amount of TC. Racketeering provides you with more points.
  • Crew cannot be converted into mafia. However, a limited crew members may become associates by using an item spawned by the uplink. Associates are considered neutral, not antagonists. They can procure supplies, sabotage the crew, and steal items for the mafia, but they are not allowed to kill. Alternatively, they can snitch to security at the risk of being hunted down by the mafia. Under space law, they are treated like common greytiders.
  • The entire family has several shared objectives. Similar to a traitor objective, but generally a bit more grandiose and destructive. Examples include releasing the engine, destroying the R&D server, assassinating an entire department, etc.
Last edited by Luke Cox on Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Re: Mafia: Gang replacement (as suggested by many)

Post by Falamazeer » #206284

I love it.

Especially the 'same department bias' Imagine two mafia miners in a lavaboat, when one whips out a baseball bat...

But seriously, outright eliminating conversion with 'associates' that are pretty much diet limited antags just invites wilful ignorance of the rules. Mafia should still be a conversion mode, but slightly different, to qualify as a 'soldier' there should be some plot device that says something like 'Luke Cox makes you an offer you can't refuse' then you accept your role or not.

Then instead of people running around flashing/kidnapping and rune-ing, you got a good chance someone will instead run away screaming bloody murder about who the mob boss is over the radio. And this swearing someone into the mafia item should be expensive from the mafia equipment uplink, and be consumed whether the client accepts or not.

Then you can still add to your ranks, but the entire game mode doesn't hinge around it.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #206290

I want gangs doing gang things like drugs, not releasing the singulo
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #206293

I wish you could do some sort of racketeering. Tell the captain that he's got a nice station and it'd be an awful shame if anything happened to it.
And break the clown's legs for trying to pay his debts in bananas
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #206298

So gang but without antag status and some flavor objectives

This is pretty uninspired.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #206302

How about this: The godfather's uplink starts with only a small amount of TC. Racketeering provides you with more points.