Some implants stay with you on the following round

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Some implants stay with you on the following round

Post by Jzoid » #221154

Don't you just love wasting half of the round getting implants, only to find out once it's done shuttle gets called?
This suggestion makes it so some implants (Surgery ones) such as Revival, Toolbelt arms, Nutrient Pumps, HUDS, all that good stuff stays on you the following round.
It'd be good for miners and you can have a safe time knowing your time didn't get wasted.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: Some implants stay with you on the following round

Post by calzilla1 » #221157

Sounds like a good or a HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK, TYRONE GET IT TOGETHER idea.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Slettal
Byond Username: Slettal

Post by Slettal » #221161

Bad idea, would lead to powrgaming every round to get implants
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #221208

yeah, implants are only balanced by being super lategame.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #221209

nah
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #221210

Why do you powergaming faggots want things to carry over from rounds so badly? No. Stop.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #221211

I do not believe that this would be wise. Round persistance should only support harmless, silly things, like cat-sploding the CMO, or having Poly chant arcane languages from when the CE was culted.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #221212

There's a weird trend of turning SS13 more and more into an MMO.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #221216

it's because the rounds don't last long enough for the high level content to be properly used like it was intended.

Possibly fixable but it would require a lot of hugboxing
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #221279

I dunno about potent ones like revival and chem implants, but I'd support it for general utility things like toolset implants, nutrient pumps and Medical HUD on a couple conditions:
-It only carries over if you escape alive as non-antag. I like the idea of having a little more at stake to make you want to survive.
-It carries over for ONE round, if you want a carryover to the next better make a fresh one and install THAT. Call it maintenance.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #221319

this is grade a slippery slope material
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #221374

okay so if my miner Pick Diggerson gets himself implanted and then escapes, for some reason next round my security officer Vlad Hunter is mysteriously tooled up with implants?
Or would the implants only carry on to the same character? What if Pick Diggerson joined sec next round? What if I randomname? What if I roll silicon?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #221396

I think a better way to tackle this issue is to provide progression surgery tools that do their job faster so you can more easily implant others [since the biggest problem is the time revolving around doing the surgery], but still have to rely on someone else doing the surgery on you.

Maybe I'll get around to it :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #221402

Armhulen wrote:this is grade a slippery slope material
I definitely think that this is... a direction in which we oughtta tread cautiously. For example, are there ways sec can check for integrated toolset implants before they permabrig someone?

Also, don't smuggler's satchels potentially do something along these lines?
Screemonster wrote:okay so if my miner Pick Diggerson gets himself implanted and then escapes, for some reason next round my security officer Vlad Hunter is mysteriously tooled up with implants?
Or would the implants only carry on to the same character? What if Pick Diggerson joined sec next round? What if I randomname? What if I roll silicon?
Good questions. My first thought is "you need to be same species." Second thought is that requiring you to keep the same char (at least in terms of major variables like species and name) does alter the balance, since someone can say "hey he got implanted last shift." Not sure I like how that latter scenario plays out rp-wise though.

In my head one notable upside to all this is that it gives post-R&D sci another thing to do that's of interest to station in general (and occupy a bored medbay). Wellll no, actually the major upside in my head is that it should significantly improve the number of interested responses when a medbay or sci traitor says "WHO WANTS WELDING SHIELD IMPLANTS", providing a nifty stock of victims for inventive surprise cavity implants or what have you.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #221404

Health analyzers can be used to detect cybernetic implants and augmentations, generally.

I don't really like the idea of anything being round consistent besides minor, non gameplay effective things or secret satchels/blackbox. I'd rather see surgery tools be able to be researched from RnD that can do surgery faster, maybe.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #221420

Screemonster wrote:okay so if my miner Pick Diggerson gets himself implanted and then escapes, for some reason next round my security officer Vlad Hunter is mysteriously tooled up with implants?
If I were to code this, I would have it work like this:
- Injected implants are not kept, only cybernetic organs (the ones that require surgery to implant)
- Cybernetic organs carry over only to the same character. They will be indicated on your character page. If you edit the character, you risk losing the implants (for bug fixing reasons)
- If you roll silicon or anything not humanoid, your cybernetic organs will be saved for your next humanoid round.
- You must escape alive (pod or shuttle), in the same body, to keep your cybernetic organs.
- You would be limited somehow, so you are not Adam Jensen at roundstart.

I do not think it is a good idea, but that is how I think it should work if it were made.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #221612

or you can get good so you don't get them in ONLY when the shuttle gets called :^)
and yeah this'll never get past the "science-balance review board" gg
Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #221617

First, we need more implants for all parts of the body, and upgraded augment parts. Let people go full MEC from X-Com.

Second, make the implants you are mentioning MUCH easier to make. Just glass and metal for things like nutrient pumps, toolset arms, simple eye implants. Make it so you can potentially get these minor buffs with only a little bit of work right off the bat. Maybe add an "Exotic" resource or two, like giving Nutrient pumps a chemical cost of... Nutriment. Not that hard to get real quick. Make the "Hard" to get implants, which are still frankly pretty lack luster (Oh, you got X-Ray implants? Well, the geneticist found that 20 minutes ago and has been handing it out like candy) a bit easier to make, and get a third tier of REALLY good implants that are have a 6-7 tech level requirement, and are pretty damn good.

Also, make an auto implanter table a thing. An upgraded, hard to make, and manually operated table that you feed implants or augments to, and then tell it where to put them from a linked console. Still needs two people to operate, but cuts a ton of the grind out of implanting/augmenting, and is a good reward for high level research.
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #221644

Kel-the-Oblivious wrote:First, we need more implants for all parts of the body, and upgraded augment parts. Let people go full MEC from X-Com.

Second, make the implants you are mentioning MUCH easier to make. Just glass and metal for things like nutrient pumps, toolset arms, simple eye implants. Make it so you can potentially get these minor buffs with only a little bit of work right off the bat. Maybe add an "Exotic" resource or two, like giving Nutrient pumps a chemical cost of... Nutriment. Not that hard to get real quick. Make the "Hard" to get implants, which are still frankly pretty lack luster (Oh, you got X-Ray implants? Well, the geneticist found that 20 minutes ago and has been handing it out like candy) a bit easier to make, and get a third tier of REALLY good implants that are have a 6-7 tech level requirement, and are pretty damn good.

Also, make an auto implanter table a thing. An upgraded, hard to make, and manually operated table that you feed implants or augments to, and then tell it where to put them from a linked console. Still needs two people to operate, but cuts a ton of the grind out of implanting/augmenting, and is a good reward for high level research.
as much as i like everything science you're really overestimating how powerful implants can be versed against genetics.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #221894

Hey, is there any guide breaking down implant functions, i.e. of Nutrient Pump vs. Nutrient Pump Plus? Or should I just start looking through github? Would like to make a list of the implants that are more "enjoyable minor convenience" than "significant player power increase".
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #221923

Why did we add surgery time again
The future is horrible!
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #221984

Dagdammit wrote:Hey, is there any guide breaking down implant functions, i.e. of Nutrient Pump vs. Nutrient Pump Plus? Or should I just start looking through github? Would like to make a list of the implants that are more "enjoyable minor convenience" than "significant player power increase".
Welding Shield
- Welder and flash protection.

Breathing Tube
- No mask required for internals, will not take oxygen damage from chokeholds.

Toolset Arm
- Powered borg tools you can activate in your hand. They are NODROP, just like the borg module.

Medical HUD
- Medical HUD eye implant.

Security HUD
- Security HUD eye implant. You cannot have both HUD implants at the same time. (But you can wear the HUD glasses)

X-Ray implant
- Gives you x-ray vision. (For best results, wear something with night vision) You cannot have Xray and thermal implants at the same time. (But you can have a HUD and shield)

Thermals implant
- Gives you thermal vision (See mobs through walls + night vision).

CNS Rebooter
- Caps the maximum duration of weakened and stunned statuses to two 'BYOND seconds' (The long game ticks that take longer than normal seconds)

Anti-Drop
- Applies NODROP to held items, meaning they are not removed when you are stunned, stripped, or disarmed.

Nutriment pump
- Injects nutriment when you begin to enter "starving" status, preventing the slowdown from starvation.

Nutriment pump PLUS
- Same as normal pump, except it injects right before you get the "hungry" alert instead of "starving". The difference is insignificant.

Reviver
- Slowly attempts to heal you if you fall unconscious (including crit). It heals oxygen loss very well, not so well on brute/burn, and slowest on toxins.

Thrusters set
- Implanted jetpack. If you are using it indoors (zero gravity), it will run off the surrounding air. If you are in space, it will use your internals (watch your tank carefully!). Special note: If you are a Xeno hybrid, you can also use your internal plasma as fuel.

Most of these implants have a weakness to EMP. What is harmless to other humans will crippling or even fatal to you.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #222000

Well, going with the precedent of Smuggler's Satchels, make em limited; you gotta escape alive on the shuttle as a non-antag; they have to be surgical implants, not injected; and even then there's only a random chance of retaining them. And things like X-Ray implants and even thermals and revivers may be a bit much.
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #222017

Gun Hog wrote:Welding Shield
- Welder and flash protection.

Breathing Tube
- No mask required for internals, will not take oxygen damage from chokeholds.

Toolset Arm
- Powered borg tools you can activate in your hand. They are NODROP, just like the borg module.

Medical HUD
- Medical HUD eye implant.

Security HUD
- Security HUD eye implant. You cannot have both HUD implants at the same time. (But you can wear the HUD glasses)

Nutriment pump
- Injects nutriment when you begin to enter "starving" status, preventing the slowdown from starvation.

Nutriment pump PLUS
- Same as normal pump, except it injects right before you get the "hungry" alert instead of "starving". The difference is insignificant.

Most of these implants have a weakness to EMP. What is harmless to other humans will crippling or even fatal to you.
I propose it carry over for these implants. (possibly not sec hud if there's a scenario where that's unbalanced, don't use it enough to say)

What's the current easiest solution(s) if the warden knows someone headed for permabrig has the toolset arm implant?
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #222024

Cut his arms off
The future is horrible!
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #222027

Between rounds persistance is not good imo, we already have more than enough of these.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #222029

Persistence is a dumb meme, the only good persistence features are poly, bags, and medals [which no one uses except that one guy who supposedly metagrudged some other guy because they weren't as high as them on the leaderboards or something stupid]
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #222047

Can we not have more memey persistence stuff please?
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #222715

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:I think a better way to tackle this issue is to provide progression surgery tools that do their job faster so you can more easily implant others [since the biggest problem is the time revolving around doing the surgery], but still have to rely on someone else doing the surgery on you.

Maybe I'll get around to it :^)
Just add nuke op autoimplanter as a printable thing tbh.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #222718

never ever. part of the reason behind them getting in was that they wouldnt get added to science
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #222719

have no fear, my upgradable surgery tool PR is coming soon [tm] so you will no longer fear about wasting half your round on a surgery table.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #223360

Aloraydrel wrote:Can we not have more memey persistence stuff please?

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #223396

lzimann wrote:Between rounds persistance is not good imo, we already have more than enough of these.
What do we have besides smuggler's satchels? Library books and Poly?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #223414

Dagdammit wrote:
lzimann wrote:Between rounds persistance is not good imo, we already have more than enough of these.
What do we have besides smuggler's satchels? Library books and Poly?
slippery slope in action
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #223416

Armhulen wrote:this is grade a slippery slope material