Bloodcult rework - Ectoplasm

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Bloodcult rework - Ectoplasm

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #229967

Check your pulse, you're alive arent you? There is precious blood running through your veins as we speak.

The essence known as ectoplasm has its roots in the real world and mythology for a long time, attributed to ghosts its actually the coating of your cell's where all the important shit such as carrying stuff takes place away from the internal workings (powerhouse of the cell yadda yadda) for a shorthand description.

Incite the eldritch gods of a long lost (not dissimilar to wizards using the same medium or viral infections quite literally) religion to show favour, and now you have the seemingly magical ability to manipulate your inner life forces rather than just exclaiming (its magic bro, I aint gotta explain shit) under the diction and dark ways and teachings of the cult religion.

> Logically blood boil is a hostile reaction by agitating the 'ectoplasm' inside non cultists that are not attuned to damage the body.
> EMP is a burst of energy via the rune directly targeted outwards.
> Ghosts are raised by the raw energy contained within, as is the geometer summoned etc, and constructs are fuelled by RAW ectoplasm, a compound required to sustain life.

Blood is already required from within your own body to use many different blood cult interactions, so that as it may be can be left alone, however the actual essence of ectoplasm can be seperated from the body and this is where the suggestions come in.

Suggestions

> There be a methodical method to actually extract & detect the ectoplasm in blood samples, turning the blood into a clotted dead mess when seperated, cult members can do this without scientific equipment, and may onpurposefully raid medical supplies to steal excess blood bags.
> A new rune to overcharge the ectoplasm of a cult member rendering them with incredible speed and strength for a limited time, but slowly draining their blood if not constantly drinking ectoplasm.

> Ectoplasm is made into a liquid rather than a solid object and splatters with illuminating pink/reddish light, you'd require 10 reagent ectoplasm (easily scooped up from 30 units per thick splatter of a dead construct, and brightly illuminating footstep trails) to make a ghost burger for instance.

> Akin to the reasonable danger of eating carpotoxin laid fillets or spiderlegs, ectoplasm is made dangerous to consume with slight toxicity, but is easier put on the table for eating.
> You can heal shades/constructs and cultists (which cultists can directly help regain blood from ectoplasm via a hybrid minor heal & salbutomol effect) by giving them ectoplasm in any manner or kinds of forms, and cultist or those outright resistant to cult (ashwalkers etc) can use it without feeling the toxicity (though ash-walkers wont feel themselves healing)

> The internal supplies of artificers is to basically be a regenerating ectoplasm oozing depositor, injecting new ectoplasm into cultists, building outright with it or repairing.
> Cult metal and objects require a certain amount of ectoplasm to build, which can be gathered by substituting your own blood/raw extracted ectoplasm or by taking it from someone else
> When sacrificed, the body is deleted and all the ectoplasm is sucked into the rune to be sponged out later with a beaker/container, this is to make cleaning easier, as only bones will remain and leave a dry dead blood smear on the floor beneath.

Fun stuff

> A few more drinks and recipes requiring ectoplasm.

> A admin only plant (Booberry, as like the reference of the muffins which would directly require the muffin to use the plant produce instead of raw ectoplasm) that has concentrate ectoplasm within besides from a hallucination toxin & nutriments. Obtainable with silver slimes or by the podmen ruin.

> Special cult item, - Geometer scented soap, draws the ectoplasm out of blood that it cleans up, click onto a beaker to release.

TL;DR
Spoiler:
[youtube]FoVpSPXGCvc[/youtube]

Don't lynch me please star wars super fanboys, it wasn't so bad.

Image 'Glorf' babbles: "Meesa moi agree mucho mucho, origeenal poster goood idea yes yes!"
Adds Gungans for the purpose of conflicting with dismemberment #15760
Again more content than i originally wanted to get across whilst i was brainstorming but feedback would be appreciated. :D

Spoiler:
letshavecake
Byond Username: Letshavecake

Re: Bloodcult rework - Ectoplasm

Post by letshavecake » #229998

pls no
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #230005

New rune?
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #230051

The stuff in your cells is CYTOplasm, not ECTOplasm. There's an ENDOplasmic reticulum, as well, but no ectoplasm.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #230052

We should be making Bloodcult less like Clockcult not more.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #230056

Drynwyn wrote:The stuff in your cells is CYTOplasm, not ECTOplasm. There's an ENDOplasmic reticulum, as well, but no ectoplasm.
Well we can always just straight up lie. Its a better name than literally talking about (blood) plasma and getting confused. Blame wikipedia, the idea is good though if you can understand the concept of bullshit sith like midichlorians of eldritch origin.

Also the cytoplasm is the INSIDE of the cell, the ectoplasm is the OUTSIDE of the cell. Now detail to me the POWERHOUSE of the cell?

> Midichlorian like plasma on the ectoplasm of the cell, happy now?
Lumbermancer wrote:We should be making Bloodcult less like Clockcult not more.
Literally what do you mean, this just elaborates on the existing points. You need paper and blood ANYWAY to do stuff as bloodcult, and what ectoplasm you dont pay up front with, will be taken out of your blood directly as payment.

There's no difference other than a re-jiggle of mechanics.

Spoiler:
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #230114

From a flavor standpoint, I don't think this improves things. It's a harsh comparison to draw, but: it honestly feels like adding "midi-chlorians" to the lore on Jedi. In both cases the mystic element is much stronger without the awkward sci-fi pseudoexplanation.

Putting the ectoplasm bit aside: Mechanically, giving cultist's blood unusual properties and/or giving cultists occult things they can do with blood bags & the like could be neat.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #230129

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Literally what do you mean, this just elaborates on the existing points.
From what I can tell you want to create a system for harvesting and spending a currency. Just like Clock has, and Blood doesn't (right now).
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #230154

Dagdammit wrote:From a flavor standpoint, I don't think this improves things. It's a harsh comparison to draw, but: it honestly feels like adding "midi-chlorians" to the lore on Jedi. In both cases the mystic element is much stronger without the awkward sci-fi pseudoexplanation.

Putting the ectoplasm bit aside: Mechanically, giving cultist's blood unusual properties and/or giving cultists occult things they can do with blood bags & the like could be neat.

Its a on-purpose dig at explaining things and completely smashing the glass ceiling on magic (though the properties and effects are seen to be magical in a wider scope, with the geometer being a magical god like being in itself as a manipulator of midichlorians)

Part of my reasoning is that constructs run off pure ectoplasm content anyway (for lack of a better name keeping the midichlorians & ectoplasm sort of together unless a better name is required for ghost/cult goo) and if its a compound in the blood of all living things, things like (blood)-plasma checks for toxins that on-purposefully poison the blood by negating plasma making it clot rapidly (this could be a new effect of venom) gain more ground, as well as using the R&D blood checkers.

> Just say that the bloodcult crystal excites the production cycle of extra midichlorians/(blood)-plasma to those attuned raising their energy levels with positive energy waves.

Partly stealing blood bags, and sacrificing it was another core point of the idea, its all about collecting and conserving as many blood bags (as in literal humans/or monkeys/bags) as possible to go do cult stuff with.

Lumbermancer wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Literally what do you mean, this just elaborates on the existing points.
From what I can tell you want to create a system for harvesting and spending a currency. Just like Clock has, and Blood doesn't (right now).
Paper and blood is bloodcult's "currency" as you cannot make talismans or create new runes without expenditure of the two things in the same way you can't protolyse without metal which is interchangable with alloy (suck up metal with a protolyser and turn it into alloy) in clock cult to do magical stuff or build.

This just removes the need to hurt yourself by paying with what the runes demand alternatively so you don't have to claw your arms open to offer your own blood but still can if you really need to. That and the resource for the large part in a typical round is abundant via extracting it from bodies or even the floor (via the soap to suck up blood and squeeze it out later) and as a byproduct of your sacrifices.

Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #230424

Personally I think bloodcult is now the most workable since it has been introduced.

I would personally not be too fond of another cycle of endless rewrites.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.