Chaplain Rituals

A place to record your ideas for the game.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Chaplain Rituals

Post by danno » #236528

something I want to do at some point soon
it's 3:30 am but I felt like i should try and get this down before I forget
I need some outside opinions and brainstorm on just what these might entail and what specifically the steps might be.
The point of this isn't to make it some all-important mechanic people crowd the chaplain for, but something that happens (for the most part) in the background of the round, as the shift goes on normally. The aim is to make something that can be done relatively easily for minor payoff, but have scaling payoff and goals that a dedicated and determined chaplain can work toward.

basically, some things the chaplain can do outside of just cult rounds
the idea is that through gathering various things and performing certain tasks, you could invoke rituals through the divinity of your chosen deity
Eg. By drawing a certain rune and placing candles and applying holy water in a certain formation, Reverend Sloan invoked the power of THE SUN and blessed Captain Shazbit with a divine power, healing him of his brain damage

this is just an example off the top of my head, with random parameters and outcome, to give you can idea of what I mean

Helping the crew
Like the example above, most of the relatively easier rituals would have minor, crew benefiting effects eg. healing, buffing, etc.
Your main role as Station Chaplain would be a supporting one.

Combating Heresy
The chaplain already has a role against cultists. This could be improved on beyond just being the guy who forcefeeds holy water to people in the brig; In the downtime between detainees, they could prepare rituals which give some sort of advantage against cultists, or provide some sort of defense, etc.
In addition, the chaplain should have some rituals which give him a bigger role against antags such as Revenants and Slaughter Demons.

Possessions
I was thinking that maybe, as a random event sort of thing, a ghost player could be bound to the mind of a living player. It would probably be too much to have them control the player, but they would at least be able to speak to their host, and have some ability which assaults the living player with a ghostly noise and some large text ala "Ghostly Stevenson cackles madly in your head..., and perhaps some abilities that affect the senses/make the host hallucinate/etc.
Spoiler:
These ghosts would have to be explicitly told that they do not remember their previous lives.
Some ghosts and their living hosts might get along, which is a nice little surprise for them both, but for the malevolent trickster spirits who wish to torment their victims, the chaplain could perform an exorcism.
This would involve performing a mid-tier ritual, having the victim stand upon the rune, and casting the spirit out. Once cast out, the ghost would have one last chance to cry out something of their choosing before returning to deadchat.

Just for fun
There's gotta be some rituals that are just for some laughs. I dunno what yet.

Regardless of what ritual the chaplain performs, they would be prompted at each major step with the ability to say their own special words of power. Whatever the fuck they want, maybe something about their deity, maybe FUCK YOU WINTERMOTE, who cares mite b cool
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Chaplain Rituals

Post by Arianya » #236842

Yes but make the rituals require multi-tile interconnected blood graffiti.

I want HERESY UP IN THIS BITCH.

Also might help give a more standardized way for the Chaplain/others to sacrifice stuff to space god in exchange for goodies/specific events/etc.

also subtle blood cult buff when blood runes aren't a hard tell
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Re: Chaplain Rituals

Post by danno » #236897

Yeah, I wanted to mention that there would be a better way to basically get admins to pay attention to your prayers but I forgot
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit