Ebow rework (and possibly stun weapons in general)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Ebow rework (and possibly stun weapons in general)

Post by Reimoo » #29572

Make it so it works kinda like a tranquilizer gun, only without the knockout part.

Instead of instant knockdown it slows down the target dramatically for a second or two and then knockdown, same length as it is now. As compensation, it could receive additional shots or a shorter recharge rate.

I think all stun weapons should work like this too.
Last edited by Reimoo on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: Ebow nerf

Post by cedarbridge » #29576

At the risk of invoking unstable inclines, I'd rather not see ebow nerfs to this degree. At worst, limit the number of shots it gets a bit more harshly so its not a nearly infinite silent taser.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #29579

pls nerf nerfing

so what you say is to nerf ebow to give the enemy a chance to kill you or cuff you
srs cant we nerf traitor items anymore

(or just add radition alot so he vomits durr hurr
The future is horrible!
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29583

Ebow has:
- stun
- no attack message
- tiny size
- armor penetration
- regenerating ammo
Well, as the first order of business, the damage type needs to be brute, not toxin. You can kill HoS with just a single ebow and nothing else. Just keep shooting. Obviously that's pretty minor, but it's a decent enough first step.

The second issue is regenerating ammo. Ebow is better than any other gun short of some ridiculous admin spawn crap because of it. You can just spam it and there's not much anyone can do about it. Either limit regeneration severely or get rid of it entirely. Honestly, since R&D can make crossbow, we could add bows and other crossbows and just add new types of ammo for them, which would also fit for the traitor crossbow.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #29585

Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #29587

Why must we nerf everything? Keep nerfing traitor items and there will be no point to ordering them. Traitors will just use items found on-station. You are all a bunch of nofun whiners.

At most the only thing that should be changed is the number of shots in the ebow at max charge. So its used as a stun weapon, not a lethal one.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #29588

Alex Crimson wrote:Why must we nerf everything? Keep nerfing traitor items and there will be no point to ordering them. Traitors will just use items found on-station. You are all a bunch of nofun whiners.

At most the only thing that should be changed is the number of shots in the ebow at max charge. So its used as a stun weapon, not a lethal one.
It has five shots, not too many. You can keep people stunlocked with the recharge though.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #29589

If you put 5 shots into one person then i doubt they will be getting back up anyways. But if its the recharge thats the problem, just lower that instead.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29590

Apparently the word "nerf" is a trigger word for you people. I've reworded the OP to satisfy you.
Last edited by Reimoo on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #29591

Alex Crimson wrote:If you put 5 shots into one person then i doubt they will be getting back up anyways. But if its the recharge thats the problem, just lower that instead.
Every shot does 10 damage so they will be only halfway to critical.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29593

Alex Crimson wrote:Traitors will just use items found on-station.
Oh god anything but that.
Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Ebow rework (and possibly stun weapons in general)

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29595

My God, when will people realize that it's OKAY for traitor items to suck on their own. Traitors aren't nuke ops and their items should be aimed at giving them an advantage, not winning them the game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #29598

If the e-bow were to suck individually what would you use it with to make it not suck? Its point is stunning, not some crazy combo gadget. Fairly straightforward.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29610

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:My God, when will people realize that it's OKAY for traitor items to suck on their own. Traitors aren't nuke ops and their items should be aimed at giving them an advantage, not winning them the game.
Nuke ops and traitors still share a lots of uplink items, you deceitful slime.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29659

Your point?

Nuke ops start with nothing else and therefore they need to be able to equip themselves via just items from uplink. Traitors have much easier time getting stuff from the station.

I mean, seriously, what is your goddamn point?
Cipher3 wrote:If the e-bow were to suck individually what would you use it with to make it not suck? Its point is stunning, not some crazy combo gadget. Fairly straightforward.
Ah, "its point is" argument. Can you people stop using "supposed to be" and "point is" arguments? Who decided that and when? We should go from what's best in current situation, not what the item used to be.

And I wasn't talking specifically about ebow itself, I was talking about traitor items in general and how people think you should be able to reliably win with only your uplink items and nothing else. But that makes no sense, since it would remove all challenge from traitors. If you can win always or most of the time with items that are available to you every time, that's not good, that's silly. Which is why people saying "oh why does sleepy pen have to rely on having a stun weapon" is stupid. Because having sleepy pen let you kill a person all the time reliably without any outside help is not good at all.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #29663

Yeah station bound methods are neat, I don't see how making them the only option is innately more thrilling. Weren't you complaining about a newlings being too similar to generic grey tide earlier?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #29669

Please stop weakening antags to the point that they become enhanced greytiders instead of unique and dangerous things you are supposed to fear.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29695

Incomptinence wrote:Weren't you complaining about a newlings being too similar to generic grey tide earlier?
........no, that's like missing the point by a kilometer
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29732

Incomptinence wrote:Yeah station bound methods are neat, I don't see how making them the only option is innately more thrilling. Weren't you complaining about a newlings being too similar to generic grey tide earlier?
The thing is, the more power given to TC item combos (parac4 for example) the less people actually care about stationbound tools. Why bother sneaking a poly acid grenade out of chem if I can do the same thing or better with a TC costed item I can have beamed into my backpack?
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29739

Stickymayhem wrote:Please stop weakening antags to the point that they become enhanced greytiders instead of unique and dangerous things you are supposed to fear.
The issue is that antags rely on the ebow way too much. It's a crutch. Maybe if we had some more creative traitor items this wouldn't be an issue.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29750

Reimoo wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:Please stop weakening antags to the point that they become enhanced greytiders instead of unique and dangerous things you are supposed to fear.
The issue is that antags rely on the ebow way too much. It's a crutch. Maybe if we had some more creative traitor items this wouldn't be an issue.
Because its fucking -incredible-
Honestly removing the 10 tox damage would balance it enough for me. Being able to kill someone with an ebow sounds a bit much, why bother with the esword at that point? Leave everything else the same.
120 quiet tox damage at range that stuns and recharges?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #29762

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:If the e-bow were to suck individually what would you use it with to make it not suck? Its point is stunning, not some crazy combo gadget. Fairly straightforward.
Ah, "its point is" argument. Can you people stop using "supposed to be" and "point is" arguments? Who decided that and when? We should go from what's best in current situation, not what the item used to be.
Except, that's absolutely its point. There is no question of what the ebow is - it's a weapon to stun with a secondary of dealing damage. You can weaken the stun and add more damage, you can just weaken the stun and weaken the cost, you can do whatever you want, but at the end of the day it's a crossbow that fabricates its own ammo - it's not going to bleep to tell you where the AI is, fabricate tools, let you hack through doors, etc. It's really good, and very much built to a direct, singular purpose.

Of course there are more dynamic items and times where we should do what's right with them. But the title of this thread is EBOWS (and possibly some other stun weapons - I wonder what stun weapons do)

The 10 tox damage could be removed and still be fine. Honestly, most Syndicate items are more advanced Nanotrasen items, some of which can be more or less replicated with research. The E-bow is an egun that can slowly regen ammo. Other instances of similar devices exist in limited amounts.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29970

Worth mentioning, the ebow is ENTIRELY useless against borgs.