Add Botany to Science

A place to record your ideas for the game.
DiamondSentinel
Byond Username: DiamondSentinel

Add Botany to Science

Post by DiamondSentinel » #313299

Just a simple idea here, but Botany should be added to science. Aside from Mining and Cargo as a whole, it's the section that is able to work closest with science, particularly R&D. Most of the high-level researches can be gained from their plants, and it'd be a lot easier for coordination between R&D and botany for those plants. Additionally, Botany doesn't even really interact with any of the other sections. They work with medical bay once in a blue moon, but they have more to do with science.

I know they give vegetables to the sometimes-present cook, which I'm assuming is why they're service, but they should probably be dual service-science like the miners are, just so that R&D can get some of the plants for use for advanced sciences.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Add Botany to Science

Post by Gun Hog » #313322

I would find giving botanist Sci radio as an acceptable idea, as they typically do not ask for upgrades, and I rarely remember to drop by the area for exchanges. I would not go any farther than that, though. Botany is first and foremost a service job! I think their lives would be moderately improved if they had the radio to encourage interaction more.
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #313329

Gun Hog wrote:I would find giving botanist Sci radio as an acceptable idea, as they typically do not ask for upgrades, and I rarely remember to drop by the area for exchanges. I would not go any farther than that, though. Botany is first and foremost a service job! I think their lives would be moderately improved if they had the radio to encourage interaction more.
Well yeah. That's really all that I meant by add them to science. Just like how the miners are.

I wasn't saying move Botany into science's physical department, as that wouldn't do much, given that they're already nearby in most maps.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #313330

Gun Hog wrote:I would find giving botanist Sci radio as an acceptable idea
If only we had a shared radio channel that everyone on board the station could hear. Some sort of, oh, I don't know, let's call it a common frequency? Maybe? I dunno.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
DiamondSentinel

Post by DiamondSentinel » #313331

Atlanta-Ned wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:I would find giving botanist Sci radio as an acceptable idea
If only we had a shared radio channel that everyone on board the station could hear. Some sort of, oh, I don't know, let's call it a common frequency? Maybe? I dunno.
If only said radio channel wasn't constantly flooded with shitposting or cries of "Shitcurity"
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #313349

Unlike other suggestions, botany's interdepartment interaction with science is a fleeting necessity, like asking the miners to bring back plant cuttings and loot seeds (gatfruit etc stuff looted from vault) also for botany use.

The more radio channels to a department you put in, the more white noise you may experience when commons could fulfill the same purpose with the same amount of noise, using the wall messagers or PDA'ing scientists could suffice. But having

Best i could suggest without being direct is for xenobio to have a plant with special mutation contoction, a green slime filled with nutriment or something dropping a 1 use green potion that will instantly transform a plant 'randomly' into any other plant in the game.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #313351

Get the fucking terrorists away from science PLEASE
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #313353

Also no it's not fwoosh
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #313355

kevinz000 wrote:Also no it's not fwoosh
This is the part where you explain your point when you flatly show a objectionable opinion kevinz000.

Botany and science goes a bit like this, you basically do favours for each other, get your shit (in botany's case its upgrades and machines etc a portable chem) while RnD gets plants for quick research. Then you're ships in the night and never have to talk to each other ever again.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #313356

The only time you need botany for research is if you don't have miners/mining access

Also the need for plants for rnd will either get buffed or nerfed or flat out removed when the techweb is done.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #313357

Note: it'll probably get a very slight buff.
(By need I mean it being a boost item to discount research nodes.)