Station Goals

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Station Goals

Post by Rustledjimm » #331484

So this was briefly discussed here https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12670. I figured I'd bring it along to the Ideas subforum to see what thoughts others may have about it since nobody has done so yet.

The idea is very simple. If the crew manage to complete the Station Goal then all antags get redtext.

I think this does a number of things, first of all it gears the crew towards a goal to aim for. All they really have right now is 'survive' and if you're security it's 'survive and robust antags the clown'.

Also the antag cannot just merely complete their objective and then happily sit on their laurels, if they notice the crew working on the station goal then they will have to try and sabotage the construction somehow. The crew together can help build towards it for their own crew greentext. Security can defend the 'supply lines' from cargo and other departments flowing to the station goal and ensure nobody messes with construction etc.

Just would like others thoughts on this, station goals always seems to be something that was put into ss13 but is completely pointless right now. We could give it a reason to exist and expand on the station goals perhaps.

Perhaps also this may solve those long extended rounds that people complain about. Once the station goal is done the crew get greentext and the round ends?
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Station Goals

Post by kevinz000 » #331493

wait so you think that antags don't mass bomb/murder/flood/burn/kill/sabotage nearly enough and want to encourage it even more???
wait so you want every validhunter to pick up r&d and mining and security so they can absolutely FORCE the station goal to be complete so they can generate a screen of delicious salty redtext???
is that going to make the game more fun?
no.
station goals are meant to be an optional and fun thing. While I think they should give more benefits, "every antag loses if this is built" sucks.

edit: if anything make more types of station goals, and make them even more interesting and maybe bizzare due to this being NT. Not "build this antags lose everyone else win, don't build this antags win everyone else lose".
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #331494

I'm not really a fan of this but "Sabotage <station goal>" could be a good traitor objective.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #331495

leibniz wrote:I'm not really a fan of this but "Sabotage <station goal>" could be a good traitor objective.
a single objective called hijack that is "cause as much shit as possible so you can be the only one to get out alive" is more than enough in my opinion but this could be a thing if done rarely. hell give admins an option to do so regardless.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #332165

Currently there are enough people who feel the game doesn't warrant playing without antagonist status that it almost seems like the crew has no reason to hang around the station, ever, at all; couple that with the antagonists wanting to leave to greentext, then it almost feels like a game that's designed to not be played.

How could we go about fixing this? I like the idea of having a reason into stick to the current station and projects, but like Kev said, I'm not sure that it will be a sufficient focus for antagonists. It MIGHT be. But can't be sure.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #332197

Maybe ditch the redtext thing, but make completing the station goal be an end-round condition that starts a crew-transfer timer?

Not so much "do the goal so the antags redtext" as "don't call the shuttle early or we redtext".

Certain rounds (ops) would naturally have the station goal be a red herring that doesn't count, so calling it as soon as ops are confirmed is still sensible.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #332233

I would prefer the "big project that reaps big benefits for people" not be a substitute for this. They should be separate entities.

Crafting the "redtexter" should require Staff of Storms regardless of how you wanna play it out though.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #332430

or just accept that we're not like other codebases/servers and we don't need a hard time limit to rounds...
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #332754

I think AnonymousNow does bring up a valid point however. I've seen far too many players just suicide immediately once they realise they aren't an antag. I personally enjoy the game enough that I can enjoy it without being an antag and don't really understand the whole needing to be an antag for enjoyment.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #333680

How about a specific greentext for "ensure the station goal is not completed"?

Stubbed-toe shuttlecalls MIGHT MAKE THE BADDY WIN
OR MAYBE THE PERSON CALLING EARLY FOR FLIMSY REASONS IS THE BADDY TRYING TO WIN OH NO LYNCH THEM
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #333683

Screemonster wrote:How about a specific greentext for "ensure the station goal is not completed"?

Stubbed-toe shuttlecalls MIGHT MAKE THE BADDY WIN
OR MAYBE THE PERSON CALLING EARLY FOR FLIMSY REASONS IS THE BADDY TRYING TO WIN OH NO LYNCH THEM
That... is a good idea.

Stoke the flames of competitiveness.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #333697

Will inevitably lead to more murderboner and shorter rounds.
You can't complete the station goal when the supermatter has detonated 20 minutes in, the singularity was loosed 10 minutes before that, and a hardsuited asshole is running around with an esword+ebow taking care of survivors.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: