Double Agent replacement: The Hunt

A place to record your ideas for the game.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Double Agent replacement: The Hunt

Post by callanrockslol » #34057

Double Agent is currently a much more violent version of traitor, I love it, many people do not, at the very core of it is a good concept that maybe doesn't work too well with access to high explosives and an all inclusive license to griff, so thats where this sorta might work, the Nanotrasen healthy paranoia building exercise.

The Heads of Staff and Security would fill the role of peacekeepers, there to catch people that fuck up and ensure that they are at least pretending they are doing their jobs, they would not be targets for the Hunters and would not get anything special to keep tabs on what is going on. Sec would not be able to take people down unless they catch them in the act.

Everyone else on the station would be a Hunter, and each one of them would have the objective to kill another Hunter, getting a chain going on, to keep it from being the clusterfuck that Double Agent is you would only be allowed to kill your target or the person after you.

Very limited number of traitor items, nothing AI subverty or station explodey, nor things that are "too easy" like parapens, mostly utility items and very loud things that require you to think before you shoot.

The only two objectives would be to kill your target and survive, the shuttle would be automatically called at 45 minutes, but if less than 50% of the round start hunters are alive it would be autocalled.

TL;DR: The Ship, SS13 style.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Double Agent replacement: The Hunt

Post by paprika » #34059

A lot of games do this. I'd say we keep double agent and implement this as an alternative. Or you know, add it to the rotation. The more game modes the better imo.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #34062

I like this. So long as we don't give everyone an all-inclusive license to griff.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #34083

Psyentific wrote:I like this. So long as we don't give everyone an all-inclusive license to griff.
That's the idea of only being able to kill your target and the person after you. The shuttle being calling at two fixed points means that you can't just force the round to end when you finish your objective. And since Sec are still active and nobody has no reason to go after them anyone that trys to pull shit that isn't straight into OOC territory will find themselves singled out much easier.
Last edited by callanrockslol on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
>trucking

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #34085

We don't even have parapens anymore. Other than that seems a quite grounded idea.

Was fairly sure they had no access to syndibombs so the explosions and station ruining mostly comes from doing their jobs (toxins engineering atmos etc). Could stand to lose singularity beacon though.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #34094

callanrockslol wrote:the shuttle would be automatically called at 45 minutes, but if less than 50% of the round start hunters are alive it would be autocalled.
What if it gets called early, autorecall? There's too many game modes that do that already and it's a bad mechanic. Figure this out without involving the emergency shuttle.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #34104

Everyone except heads and security are antags? So what, like revolution, but absolutely hopeless for heads?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #34108

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Everyone except heads and security are antags? So what, like revolution, but absolutely hopeless for heads?
Nothing like rev, considering the hunters are only allowed to kill their target and whoevers hunting them. Heads and Security act as the on-ship guards that you don't want to get caught by. More or less:
callanrockslol wrote: TL;DR: The Ship, SS13 style.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #34112

paprika wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:the shuttle would be automatically called at 45 minutes, but if less than 50% of the round start hunters are alive it would be autocalled.
What if it gets called early, autorecall? There's too many game modes that do that already and it's a bad mechanic. Figure this out without involving the emergency shuttle.
I don't think that would be a problem for this gametype?
Rev autorecalls because the round only ends when a team is dead and the shuttle arriving breaks that, this concept gives people objectives "kill" and "survive", the latter explicitly requiring the shuttle anyway.

If the shuttle is called and nobody can break in to recall it, that just gives you a big "hurry up!" warning to complete your other objective within the next ten minutes.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #34116

MMMiracles wrote:Nothing like rev, considering the hunters are only allowed to kill their target and whoevers hunting them.
Oh yeah, nobody will touch those poor bastards trying to keep everyone from completing their objectives and guarding a room full of guns.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #34176

this will be like rev in that it's going to be an absolute nightmare for admins.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #34292

Miauw wrote:this will be like rev in that it's going to be an absolute nightmare for admins.
I see the only major issue being here that getting people to give up their "lel I antag tiem to griff" and forcing single target murder without unintentional collateral will be increasingly difficult. The higher the server population, the harder it will get. That said, I've always thought that replicating The Ship in SS13 would be neat. I'd even remove the uplinks entirely to properly replicate the experience and scatter a few extra robust items around the station. (extra fire axes etc) Notices would be sent to sec and heads via centcomm to the effect that all weapons found on an attacker caught in the act should be confiscated with brig time of X minutes per weapon + time for the offense and then set loose back onto the station. To replicate the second idea though, you'd essentially have to ban brig break-ins.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #34426

I don't think adding even more murder to DA is the right way to go about this.
callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #34429

You wouldn't be able to give everyone proper rules free antag round, it would be limited and all that. Which was sort of the point of the round.

Spoiler:

>trucking

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #34497

Reimoo wrote:I don't think adding even more murder to DA is the right way to go about this.
I don't think you read the thread.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #34538

People won't understand that you don't get a griff license and you can only target one person with no collateral damage whatsoever. A lot of the most popular murder techniques in SS13 involve carpet bombing the entire station and hoping your target dies in the chaos. Coming at your target with a wrench simply isn't as effective as it is in The Ship.

And besides, this gamemode sounds like a fucking nightmare for security. Instead of a fraction of the crew trying to murder eachother, now everyone on the crew is trying to murder each other. The metagaming from security would be like ten times worse than it already is during rev rounds.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #34543

Actually you can target anyone, since anyone can be hunting you. This would be a nightmare for admins.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #34547

Reimoo wrote:And besides, this gamemode sounds like a fucking nightmare for security. Instead of a fraction of the crew trying to murder eachother, now everyone on the crew is trying to murder each other. The metagaming from security would be like ten times worse than it already is during rev rounds.
Like I mentioned earlier. For it to work properly, security would have to function the same way guards do in The Ship. i.e. they would "look the other way" when they don't see a crime actually occurring. Of course, since we're assuming this would only work with antags without griff licenses we'd also be assuming that sec aren't valid hunting. So we're really just assuming this was played on a server that isn't /tg/