Making the UI Better

A place to record your ideas for the game.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Making the UI Better

Post by WJohnston » #34537

So we've all been playing SS13 for years now and we've all gotten very used to the UI. However, some of you may have noticed that some things are unnecessarily complicated to perform or use.

Here's 3 improvements that would do a world of good for new players and veterans alike:

1. More action buttons. These are things like toggling flashlights or whatever. We can always use more of these for damn near anything. Toggling suit sensors, lifting up gas masks, rolling down jumpsuits, making cablecuffs etc.

2. Remove the tiny E "equip" button above the hands, it is ludicrously small and underused. Instead, replace it with a nice big swap button like the one on goon, where clicking it with an item in hand will swap the appropriate equipment. This means no dropping ALL YOUR CRAP when putting on a new uniform, improving security and GREATLY reducing the number of clicks and amount of hand fumbling. This would give lings more of an incentive to swap clothes with their victims since it'd be so much faster. Remember, the less button clicks the better!

3. Probably the most complicated, but something along the lines of the changeling sting alt-click button. Right now stuff like wizard spells are incredibly unwieldy, requiring you to take your eyes off screen and search for the button to click while dodging bullets or baton wielding clowns. This is awful. Instead having something where you select the spell and it shows up like it would the changeling, above your health, and alt clicking at your target would be very nice. It would let you just alt click on someone to gib them. This could also be done for things like aliens with neurotoxic spit or object/wall melting, and a host of other powers.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Re: Making the UI Better

Post by Reimoo » #34552

WJohnston wrote: 2. Remove the tiny E "equip" button above the hands, it is ludicrously small and underused. Instead, replace it with a nice big swap button like the one on goon, where clicking it with an item in hand will swap the appropriate equipment. This means no dropping ALL YOUR CRAP when putting on a new uniform, improving security and GREATLY reducing the number of clicks and amount of hand fumbling. This would give lings more of an incentive to swap clothes with their victims since it'd be so much faster. Remember, the less button clicks the better!
Or, people could learn to git gud and use hotkeys.

And I believe swapping jumpsuits is intentionally unwieldy because that's how it is in real life.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #34577

I'd rather just give items a certain time-to-equip rather than having a bunch of fiddly crap fall off that takes a stupid amount of time and effort to put back on.

This is a good thread and I hope everyone will bring up any and all little UI annoyances that pissed them off. Especially ones that got you killed or otherwise ruined your fun somehow.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #34613

WJohnston wrote:we've all been playing SS13 for years now and we've all gotten very used to the UI
We're used to the UI and the rules of the game. It doesn't mean they're good. Having trouble messing with hands, jumpsuits and all that "for realism" is annoying for the people who do know how to do it, and damn near impossible for those who don't. That's the purpose of point 2.

And no, replacing a really unwieldy and slow method with a more usable but equally slow method is not okay. If you're going to change it then make it bloody well practical.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #34616

Hotkeys already exist. Hotkeys are amazing, I don't want a more cluttered UI just because there's plebs that still use arrow keys. I can equip an entire security locker in a little under 2 seconds using hotkeys, git gud.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #34631

A lot of people can't use hotkeys because they're using a laptop/keyboard without a numpad.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #34633

paprika wrote:Hotkeys already exist. Hotkeys are amazing, I don't want a more cluttered UI just because there's plebs that still use arrow keys. I can equip an entire security locker in a little under 2 seconds using hotkeys, git gud.
Refer to my previous post. YOU can do it and so can a lot of other skilled people. You are not 100% of the playerbase and it's unreasonable to demand that legitimately new players know this kind of crap.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #34670

ExplosiveCrate wrote:A lot of people can't use hotkeys because they're using a laptop/keyboard without a numpad.
The hotkeys don't require a numpad. They let you move with wasd.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #34673

We're getting slowly and surely there with lots of things using buttons instead of verbs and what have you. (Hot keys still supported of course)

There has been some discussion about how to improve the ability to hide buttons and so on, so we can manage the button spam, so any ideas down that route would be useful.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #34689

oranges wrote:There has been some discussion about how to improve the ability to hide buttons and so on, so we can manage the button spam, so any ideas down that route would be useful.
The short-term would probably be expandable buttons like the equip screen.
I doubt we'll get to the level of draggable/selective hiding UI elements.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #34721

paprika wrote:Hotkeys already exist. Hotkeys are amazing, I don't want a more cluttered UI just because there's plebs that still use arrow keys. I can equip an entire security locker in a little under 2 seconds using hotkeys, git gud.
Making the game depend less on quick fingers and more on quick thinking seems like a net positive to me.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #34752

Saegrimr wrote:The short-term would probably be expandable buttons like the equip screen.
I mentioned this in one of the small discussions that was had.
I think it's the best idea, a hide-able quick action bar.
私は完璧
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #34812

The only desperately needed UI improvement would be to make seeing an object's (or a person's) name somewhere else than only in the lower left corner of the screen. Like somehow making it a some kinda tooltip-balloon-thing.

EDIT: Oh my god yes tooltips are actually a possible thing in BYOND
Last edited by kosmos on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #34827

Mmm yeah tooltips would be great. We'd have more control over it too because the status bar can only display the object's global name. For example we couldn't display something as Unknown to one player and as something else to another.

Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #35115

Wait, how?

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #35150

No. 1 UI annoyance: Having to log in to consoles with ID in hand, but having to click with an empty hand THEN switch to the ID. Except when it's not like that. Et cetera.

No. 2 annoyance: Pop-up boxes that automatically re-open once they're finished processing, like the chem grinder.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #35227

Atticat wrote:
Wait, how?
The equip item button.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy