Assistant should be Tutorial Mode

A place to record your ideas for the game.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Assistant should be Tutorial Mode

Post by kevinz000 » #412412

im picking harold robinson for security
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #412413

So poll everyone in a department for each assistant that picks that department? This definitely won't get spammy.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #412419

CosmicScientist wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:So poll everyone in a department for each assistant that picks that department? This definitely won't get spammy.
>do you want to tutor?
>no
>don't get asked again

>do you want to tutor?
>yes
>don't get asked again
Only someone stupid would bother to ask the same question twice.
And yet it will still ask every round
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #412431

Assistant right now sucks as a first role because all you can do is greytide, nobody will accept your actual assistance.

I think using the same system as departmental security uses would be a good one. Have assistants for different departments.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #412434

make a new role for this and call it "intern"
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #412435

CosmicScientist wrote:I don't think departmental assistants would fix greytide. At some point it should be obvious that picking greyshirt is for bunking off duty and picking a role is for bunking off duty with yellow gloves. I'd rather not share resources with a designated bunking off duty role.
somerandomguy wrote:And yet it will still ask every round
It'd be once, if every round and why do you think there'd be someone asking for help every round? If only one new player signs up for this and someone with more playtime than you says yes, then you'll never see the popup.
>assuming only new players would do it
>assuming people aren't going to get tired of it and just say "no"
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #412457

this is bad
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #412464

A way to signal that a person is new at a job would be nice, but I mean, the person can just ask in their radio channel for advice, Ive spent rounds teaching people atmos and basic engine setup because they just asked me.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #412667

I think that re-purposing the space homeless is good. Assistants are now just there to fuck around. Seeing someone as an assistant trying to do a role like Cargo for example would make it when they are actually cargo go a lot more smoothly.

I think that this is somewhat abusable though. Basically, when choosing a department, those who lets say want science access for R&D purposes when all the scientist slots are taken can just pick science and bam, they have a space suit, getting in people's ways leeching useful resources from the department. I think having it restricted to four hours or less to use this feature per each department would fix this problem. Basically you need to be fresh to the department entirely to use the feature. I would wonder if security would be an available department though.

I like the idea a lot, I would really enjoy showing newbies around the station.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #412894

I like the idea - there should be a difference between the "newbie trying to learn the game" role and the "awful player who doesn't want to contribute to the round" role.
And the later shouldn't have maint access, but thats a whole other issue.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #413299

Not a fan. Assistants can request access from the HOP and talk with someone or just go in the dept. and ask for advice as drbee said. The tutor thing is unnecessary and it will get old/spammy fast
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?