Teleporting into walls

A place to record your ideas for the game.

What should happen when you teleport onto a wall?

Mob becomes unable to move
No votes
No votes
No votes
Mob becomes unable to move and unable to breathe
4%
4%
4%
Gib mob
5%
Gib mob
5%
Gib mob
5%
Push off
6%
Push off
6%
Push off
6%
Swap positions (mob with wall)
1%
1%
1%
Destroy the wall
1%
Destroy the wall
1%
Destroy the wall
1%
I prefer how it works currently
16%
16%
16%

Total votes: 99

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Teleporting into walls

Post by Scott » #46398

Opinions

edit: no more option editing
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Re: Teleporting into walls

Post by Akkryls » #46401

If there was some differentiation between teleports, I wouldn't mind mobs being gibbed upon teleporting into a wall. (Isn't that the usual sci fi fare anyway? Telegibbing?)

To explain what I mean by differentiation, wormholes being a random event shouldn't gib people teleporting onto walls (Or since that might end up being snowflake code, change wormholes so their exit points aren't able to be on walls), whereas using the station teleporter, hand teleporter or reactive armour should gib you if you teleport onto a wall, or heavy damage / crit if you teleport onto a grill (Because fucking giant metal rods fused into your skull).
However it would also be cool if the Hand teleporter/Station teleporter/reactive armour could gib mobs if you teleported onto them (Again, telegibbing), but leave the teleportee alive, yet gore soaked.

Because Science is dangerous, yo'.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #46404

you can already be on the same tile as walls without teleporting, so it would be pretty dumb to change it from how it currently works.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #46407

Missing option: Disallow moving into the square outright.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #46408

Outright gibbing/critting someone because RNG decided to go 'fuck you' for teleporting seems like bad design. Would be better if it just outright stopped you from teleporting into walls in the first place.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46409

MMMiracles wrote:Outright gibbing/critting someone because RNG decided to go 'fuck you' for teleporting seems like bad design. Would be better if it just outright stopped you from teleporting into walls in the first place.
B-b-but Science is dangerous, yo'.
We already have the fly genome and DNA damage from teleporting without calibrating, this is just one step further. It seems stupid that something as complex as point to point teleportation is so safe and easy whereas toxins is on fire almost every other round.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #46433

Exactly, science is dangerous. Teleporting into walls should have consequences, or it shouldn't be possible to begin with, as MrPerson pointed out.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #46572

Scott wrote:Exactly, science is dangerous. Teleporting into walls should have consequences, or it shouldn't be possible to begin with, as MrPerson pointed out.
The player isn't in control of where their teleport destination is, so you'd wind up just gibbing people totally randomly.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46573

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #46587

Push off, take large amount of brute damage.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46634

Violaceus wrote:Just wait for people placing walls over tele beacons.
And how is that much different from people placing beacons in welded lockers or burn chambers currently? (Ignoring the fact that the hand teleporter currently teleports the person who opens the portal, it used to just open a portal and then allow you to walk through / chuck people through)
Teleportation is inherently dangerous, as show by the DNA damage you get from uncalibrated teleports.

The station is dangerous. Why are we safety padding it?
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #46644

Akkryls wrote:The station is dangerous. Why are we safety padding it?
Because being instantly killed and rendered uncloneable by a dice sucks.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46652

Jacquerel wrote:
Akkryls wrote:The station is dangerous. Why are we safety padding it?
Because being instantly killed and rendered uncloneable by a dice sucks.
Then don't use the teleporter. It's not like you're forced by the coders to use a teleporter to move around the station.
Hell, give the teleporter a pop up telling you that the destination is obstructed if you test fire it before using.

Its like how Goon's garbage crusher instantly gibs people, whereas ours requires emagging in order to kill people.

I'm not saying, HURR, make everything so dangerous that the entire crew is dead by the five minute mark; just make the stuff which is inherently dangerous, dangerous.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46654

If you fuck up in Toxins you'll end up releasing a large amount of plasma/plasma fire. You can avoid the plasma, and if you die your body can be recovered and cloned.

If you fuck up in Xenobiology you'll end up releasing a large group of hostile slimes. You can avoid the slimes, and if you die your body can be recovered and cloned.

If you fuck up with teleporting your body will explode instantly. You cannot avoid this due to the RNG nature of the act, your body will be unrecoverable thus unclonable.

You can see what I am aiming at here. Don't punish players due to luck not being on their side, our current system works fine though if I had to make a choice (and I could not keep it as is) I would make you not be able to teleport into walls at all.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46668

Steelpoint wrote:Don't punish players due to luck not being on their side, our current system works fine though if I had to make a choice (and I could not keep it as is) I would make you not be able to teleport into walls at all.
The main teleporter only teleports to designated beacons.
The hand teleporter specifically mentions that teleporting without a locked in beacon is dangerous.

Don't risk doing blind jumps, and you won't end up ded from RNG.

(I would like to add I'm not trying to be an ass or arguing for the sake of it, I just think a bit more risk from using unsafe technology would be better)
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46670

At least if you space yourself there is a chance for your body to be recovered, you can also use the hand held teleporter to send you somewhere else and save yourself. Gibbing people is a absolutely horrible idea full stop. It essentially 100% removes them the victim from the round.

I'm not necessarily against someone dying (or being close to death) from a untested or uncalibrated experiment/teleportation, as that encourages people to prepare themselves and minimise risk. But blowing up the body of people in said scenario's is just a bad design decision.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #46672

Maybe if you land in a wall you should just take rad damage and get randomly teleported again, perhaps to somewhere safe, perhaps to space, or perhaps into another wall (taking more rad damage and going back to the top).
Even if you roll the worst possible luck and die from bouncing between walls your corpse could land on the station, but nobody will know where it is. Or it might land in space, where you should hope you had your sensors on (or a GPS in your pocket).
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #46673

Random gibs are never a good idea.
adrix89
Byond Username: Adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #46675

Gibs! because you can't have too many gibs!

But seriously, any punishment is absurd.
Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #46684

Maybe I've just played too much bloodbowl lately and seeing people die FATAL-esque style from failing the simplest actions is following me back to Spessmen.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #46693

Akkryls wrote:Maybe I've just played too much bloodbowl lately and seeing people die FATAL-esque style from failing the simplest actions is following me back to Spessmen.
What if deconstructing the wall you are stuck in doesnt kill you, but you're still pretty hurt.
He is right though. While I'd hate to see gibbing ever happen because of teleportation, there still needs to be some risk for fucking up. The teleporter to the AI Sat shouldn't do anything besides the usual, but telesci and all the usual cal shouldn't be 100% safe. Maybe 15 brute? Wait, no, 10 brute. And if they deconstruct the wall or whatever it is 5 brute.