Midi ignore list

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Midi ignore list

Post by paprika » #53131

Hi, I was going to suggest giving out the midi flag as a reward for things like updating the wiki and contributing features that other people wouldn't want to code normally. However, this is basically impossible if midis stay as they are now.

I suggest a way to see which ckey is currently playing a midi, and a way to add them to an ignore list so you can keep midis on but filter people who play midis you don't like, as this seems to be the main complaint for people who disable midis. They don't necessarily hate admins playing music, but they dislike certain sounds sometimes, so it would be nice to give them the choice to filter certain people with the ability to play midis. This way, we could give out the midi/sound flag to people more liberally, as a reward, and people who don't like the increased volume of people playing global music could just selectively mute people from doing so. At least until we get some better ambient tracks.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Midi ignore list

Post by Stickymayhem » #53226

I disapprove as it could result in fewer people embracing their baka.
Spoiler:
Sounds good but bandwidth considerations may come into it. Also DJmin hasn't been particularly successful in earlier trials I believe.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #53234

Stickymayhem wrote:I disapprove as it could result in fewer people embracing their baka.
their triple baka amirite? eh? amirite?
私は完璧
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #53309

Remie Richards wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:I disapprove as it could result in fewer people embracing their baka.
their triple baka amirite? eh? amirite?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53325

Spoiler:
Sounds good but bandwidth considerations may come into it. Also DJmin hasn't been particularly successful in earlier trials I believe.
DJmin doesn't have any limitations on how many songs you can play, and people with midis on are basically forced to shut it off a lot of the time and that's irritating.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53486

Like 'mute currently admin sound' so you could keep midis on but mute temporarily something if it's annoying or you're trying to focus/soundwhore? Way better idea, I like it a lot.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #53684

Specific tracks wouldn't work because it would make a huge text list of song names that could easily be renamed
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #53696

I agree with the idea of having a "mute current midi" button. It would really come in handy.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #53700

Mute current midi makes sense.

Midis as rewards sounds like a bad idea if it means "You did something cool, get a midi." If you mean a more formal "we need X done, offer a midi to whoever does it publicly" bounty system it sounds awesome. One is a kinda odd popularity contest where as another actually encourages stuff to get done and gives the headcoders some ability to direct the project without going full bureaucracy mode.

Just as long as "The work no one wants to do" isn't "Fix your own bugs." You shouldn't get a cookie over that, you should get to keep your position for doing that.

For the love of god don't make it something you can just toss out with a button press. That would get old quick as admins would hand them out pretty liberally.