Wizard Spell Cost Change

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Wizard Spell Cost Change

Post by Steelpoint » #53647

Currently all spells cost a single spell point, and one further point to upgrade them. While this is a simple and easy to understand system, it leaves many spells underused.

As such, I wish to suggest that Wizards instead are given double spell points (10), but the cost of all spells is also increased to 2. Then making select spells cheaper to buy.

Spells like Smoke, Forcefield, Knock or Blind can be useful, but their expensive cost, and niche a use make them underused, but having them cost only 1 spell point while other more powerful spells cost 2 opens up more loa out options.

Thank you.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Re: Wizard Spell Cost Change

Post by Incoming » #53665

This all sounds very familiar
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #53667

sounds familiar but still sounds good
fund it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #53668

Lings got the same treatment and so did traitor. I'm all for this.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #53669

No brainer idea. Someone just needs to offer to do it.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #53708

I would do it but sadly the system is hardcoded that all spells take away a single spell point, not a system like telecrystals where each items has its own cost.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #53755

Ugh who wants to rework the spell buying system?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #53781

I'd just like to point out that spells like MM and jaunt, although they get used almost 100% of the time, don't inherently mean they're OP, they're used because wizards the survivability that crowd control and movement spells give them, otherwise they get utterly wrecked in 5 seconds.

Shit like ei'nath needs to be high cost because it's dumb and ggnore - you can literally explode people while stunned on the ground.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #53824

It means spells are not balanced. It doesn't mean that some spells will immediately win you the game, it means that some spells are just a lot better than others.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #53850

lumipharon wrote:I'd just like to point out that spells like MM and jaunt, although they get used almost 100% of the time, don't inherently mean they're OP, they're used because wizards the survivability that crowd control and movement spells give them, otherwise they get utterly wrecked in 5 seconds.

Shit like ei'nath needs to be high cost because it's dumb and ggnore - you can literally explode people while stunned on the ground.
If someone is taking magic missile every time because it provides something vital to the wizard, it means that it is providing more utility than spells wizards never take. Meaning it should be priced for that utility.

Doesn't mean they will be costed super high. Ideally at the start of this change the cost will assume the wizard is taking their good spells as they do now and weaker spells will cost less, because with long ranging changes such as this that are mostly experimental you want to change as few variables as possible. If a wizard takes the "good spell list" they should have as many spells as they used to, but if they dip into weaker stuff they will have more, and over time the numbers can be tweaked so if that it is found that, wow, ei'nath is way too freaking good and is still taken 100% of the time, it can be upped a bit more.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #53880

If only wizard rounds were to happen more often I'd be throwing money at this ideal, but I do support it none the less
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #54093

srifenbyxp wrote:If only wizard rounds were to happen more often I'd be throwing money at this ideal, but I do support it none the less
Wizard is shut off right now because Fuhrer SoS decided Survivor was too annoying
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017