Remove magic synthesizer from chemical dispenser and add chemical crates to Cargo

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Remove magic synthesizer from chemical dispenser and add chemical crates to Cargo

Post by Capsandi » #550492

Chemistry right now consists of pressing a load of buttons at a chem dispenser, severely limiting how many cool and potentially destructive chemicals Chemistry can make as they all require shockingly similar steps. Chemistry could be improved so much by making chem dispensers just that, machines that adhere to the law of matter conservation and which must be restocked with chemicals you run out of. The dispenser would automatically sort chemicals you pour in(including chemicals not magically synthesised currently) so the only use of the machine is organization. Chemists would have 2 choices; Buy expensive crates of chemicals from cargo containing what used to be synthesizable (perhaps all in some sort of cryostasis space tide-pod which dissolves once put in the dispenser) or go around, or have an assistant go around collecting things grindable into the needed chemicals. The dispenser, now being able to organize any chemical poured in, will simplify use of chemicals gotten via botany/xenobiology.
I think the bartender could also rely on a cheaper variant of the crate specializing in alcoholic products, so that a bartender has to actually sell drinks. Fermentation would be his alternative to cargo's monopoly on supply. In short; Conservation of matter good.

EDIT: alright i didn't see the note on economy, so ignore the part about the bartender charging people.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: Remove magic synthesizer from chemical dispenser and add chemical crates to Cargo

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #550497

you know the job that was recently overhauled and made much less popular amongst the crew?

let's make it even more of a miserable slog
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Remove magic synthesizer from chemical dispenser and add chemical crates to Cargo

Post by cacogen » #550660

no
old maps have that potion room full of chems like charlie/delta station does (it's also similar to system shock 2, like a lot of things in the game) and i'm guessing that's because that was before the chem dispenser was added

why not just nerf energy requirements or cell material/research point costs or chem dispenser board material/research point costs instead of removing it completely

i do agree conservation of matter is good but good luck introducing that in a way that works
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #550681

kneecapping chem dispensers is only acceptable if it also becomes acceptable to valid the clown for wasting everything making lube
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #550693

Preferably botany would handle the generation of reagents, and chemistry would have the tools to convert the dirty sample (blended plants) into medicines.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #550878

Cobby wrote:Preferably botany would handle the generation of reagents, and chemistry would have the tools to convert the dirty sample (blended plants) into medicines.
Atmos could liquefy gases to produce nitrogen and oxygen.

Engineering could spent lots of power to electrolyse sea salt bought from cargo to create sodium, chlorine, iodine and bromine, or electrolyse water for hydrogen and oxygen.

Mining would provide iron, silver, silicon and maybe aluminium, copper.

The copper and silver ores could also sources of sulfur.

Maybe a new fluorapatite mineral could provide phosphorous and fluorine.

Ghetto chem will be able to provide reagents for small batches.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #551101

Super Aggro Crag wrote:you know the job that was recently overhauled and made much less popular amongst the crew?

Are you referring to the medbay changes or what
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #551125

oranges wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you know the job that was recently overhauled and made much less popular amongst the crew?

Are you referring to the medbay changes or what
He's referring to the plumbing update
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #551175

As much as the dispenser is a bandaid solution I think trying to replace it with anything that requires juggling the 30 or so base chems we have is going to end really badly.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler