Idea: Clothier/Livestock Farmer Job

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Timrod

Idea: Clothier/Livestock Farmer Job

Post by Timrod » #5594

One thing that kind of strikes me as odd about the current station is that almost everything can be replaced - except jumpsuits. It kind of makes sense that they can't be, considering the lockers in every single department with at least one spare set of clothing. However, on an actual space station, you would eventually need someone to mend clothes, or make new ones when they've worn out. It would make sense for there to be a clothier on the station, who could also farm livestock at the same time for use in making more clothes.

The base idea would be a small new department near Cargo, that starts with a few sheep and some cows. Sheep can be sheared with a shaver, providing wool for use in making cloth. Cows can be bred and then butchered for leather (and milked for cheese/milk for the chef). They'd also have a small worm farm for silk, and a dying machine that can turn jumpsuits different colors based on ID level (ie; HoP ID can make pretty much any jumpsuit, while an Atmos Tech might only be able to make an Atmos Tech suit and an Assistant suit).

They also provide several items that are useful for when bombs go off - or just in general. My ideas for these include:

- Woolen Sweater-Jumpsuit. A thick sweater worn in the jumpsuit slot. Delays body temperate decreases. With one of these, you can go around hull breaches without having to worry about a decrease in body temp.
- Woolen Cloak. An over-suit item, the Cloak provides additional temperature protection, to the point where short periods (ie; just enough to cross the hole left by a small bomb) of unprotected EVA can occur without damage.
- Woolen Hat. A hat that also protects against cold. With all three items, you can safely cross a capped bomb hole with no problems.

- Leather Jacket. Made by skinning dead cows, the leather jacket provides some degree of brute protection and a small amount of bullet resistance. Also makes you look like a badass.
- Leather Armor. Made from boiling leather, it provides some degree of brute protection for the chest area. Not as good as a standard sec armor, but better than nothing. Doesn't do anything against lasers.
- Studded Leather Armor. Made from a leather armor and metal, it provides a greater degree of protection (3/4 standard armor) for the chest and groin. Does nothing against lasers.

- Slip Shoes. Made from leather and a small amount of Space Lube, slip shoes allow you to move as if there is no gravity at all times. You will 'slip' and slide uncontrollably if not touching something.
- Grip Shoes. Made from leather and glue (bones of dead cows), grip shoes prevent slips from certain sources, essentially a weaker version of syndicate no-slip shoes.

I think this would make another useful department, and allow for fewer greyshirts per round.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Re: Idea: Clothier/Livestock Farmer Job

Post by AseaHeru » #5648

Tad cheesy, and sounds like it would be more for botany then for a whole new department, unless botany is gonna get a new sub-department or something from this.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Re: Idea: Clothier/Livestock Farmer Job

Post by Fragnostic » #6884

Actually this is amazing.
Think about it, a large, corporate space station is supposed to be somewhat self sufficient and it can't be unless you have things like livestock. And this would be great for breeding monkeys for research if a department runs out.
Love the armor ideas by the way, and how you already thought of watering them down like a stuprod compared to a stunbaton.