Salvager/Explorer Profession

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Salvager/Explorer Profession

Post by Luke Cox » #55988

There is a hugely robust variety of locations outside of the station, and yet 99% of the time nobody touches them. This is a travesty. There should be a dedicated salvager or explorer profession. They would work under supply, and start with a space suit, a toolbelt, and maybe a jetpack. Perhaps a mass driver on the edge of the station, or a teleporter that by default can only teleport to a select few locations off-station for security reasons (perhaps an emag unlocks other restricted locations). In order to get back to the station, you'd have to fix up teleporters or do it the old fashioned way. Antagonist explorers would also have an interesting selection of tools at their disposal.

Exploring is a blast, and it's a shame it hardly ever happens. It only makes sense to have a profession that involves it.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Salvager/Explorer Profession

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #55994

Join as assistants and fuck off from the station, nobody will mind.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #55997

That'd give something to do on Z-7 at least.
Problem is what would distinguish this from an assistant that broke into EVA?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #55998

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Join as assistants and fuck off from the station, nobody will mind.
Problem is, EVA is a highly sensitive area and even if you get permission, sec drags you off half the time. This profession legitimizes exploring
Saegrimr wrote:That'd give something to do on Z-7 at least.
Spacesuit would probably have a distinct look to it. Light on the helmet too.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #56000

Luke Cox wrote:This profession legitimizes exploring
What's there to explore, everything has set coordinates that are known to everybody. Looting is what it is. I hardly think it's useful for anybody.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #56003

Saegrimr wrote:That'd give something to do on Z-7 at least.
Special suits with built in cameras. Perhaps this could be added with the "alien tech" reliquary idea suggested years ago. Salvage crew hunts the z-levels for xeno tech that is taken, studied, and replicated by R&D. God knows we need something to replace telecomms
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #56004

This idea is old as dirt, reasons it won't happen:

Removes players and resources from the round in a worse way than mining.
Is basically an alternate mining.
Z-levels are only interesting for 3 seconds.
Z-levels dont have many useful things on them.
A system like away missions put a ton of strain on mapping and coding.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #56007

dezzmont wrote:This idea is old as dirt, reasons it won't happen:

Removes players and resources from the round in a worse way than mining.
Is basically an alternate mining.
Z-levels are only interesting for 3 seconds.
Z-levels dont have many useful things on them.
A system like away missions put a ton of strain on mapping and coding.
- Assistants do hardly anything as it is. May as well help them have some fun.
- It is, and I think that's a good thing. Gives players some variety.
- Completely subjective. I think it's very fun personally.
- I slightly agree with this. I'd like to see more loot on abandoned stations
- Not really. Everything is already in place. Just touch up derelict a little, stash some loot here and there. All the hard work is already done.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56035

What's really stopping you from getting this set as a custom title at the HoP line with EVA access and fucking off into space with a toolbelt and a backpack? "Oh no sec will bust me." is a pretty lame excuse since even basic communication between yourself/the HoP/security would prevent this right out.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #56047

cedarbridge wrote:What's really stopping you from getting this set as a custom title at the HoP line with EVA access and fucking off into space with a toolbelt and a backpack? "Oh no sec will bust me." is a pretty lame excuse since even basic communication between yourself/the HoP/security would prevent this right out.
You give sec too much faith, my friend.

I know it's perfectly easy to get access and go. What I'm saying is that a lot of the mechanics are already in place, and I think it's a waste not to integrate them into a full profession. Make a little room in supply for salvagers, give them their own spacesuits with their own sprites so the HoP doesn't have to grant random assistants access to a room full of traitor objectives, maybe toss a little more loot into derelict and the abandoned satellite, and you're good to go. You could argue that custom titles work for basically any RP job, but we still have them because they're fun.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56056

Luke Cox wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:What's really stopping you from getting this set as a custom title at the HoP line with EVA access and fucking off into space with a toolbelt and a backpack? "Oh no sec will bust me." is a pretty lame excuse since even basic communication between yourself/the HoP/security would prevent this right out.
You give sec too much faith, my friend.

I know it's perfectly easy to get access and go. What I'm saying is that a lot of the mechanics are already in place, and I think it's a waste not to integrate them into a full profession. Make a little room in supply for salvagers, give them their own spacesuits with their own sprites so the HoP doesn't have to grant random assistants access to a room full of traitor objectives, maybe toss a little more loot into derelict and the abandoned satellite, and you're good to go. You could argue that custom titles work for basically any RP job, but we still have them because they're fun.
Except adding a job slot for a job that is literally "fuck off and return maybe never" is kinda pointless. The same thing could (and is) done by just using custom titles. There's really no reason to add another slot (or two) for something that's not really needed on-station any more than a second librarian.

Also, I don't have to have faith in sec beyond basic reading skills.

HoP: Stupid McGrifferson is a space explorer. He's grabbing eva gear. Don't rough him up unless you catch him fucking around elsewhere.
HoS: k
HoS: Don't pester Stupid, he's allowed to be in EVA. Keep the other shitters from following him in.

That easy. I've seen it happen and I've coordinated it myself. Takes exactly 10 seconds.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #56082

Reminds me of a suggestion I gave at the start of last year, I'll post it from the old forums.

--------------------------------------------

I put forward the suggestion of an entire new department/job, the idea behind it is to scavenge abandoned ships and stations while occasionally fighting off hostile alien lifeforms. All while flying a Space Ship.

As a foreword, this can either become an entire new department or be attached to Cargo/Mining.

The Core function of the Scavenge Department is, as the name suggests, Scavenging and reclaiming materials and equipment from a viarity of deep space locations, ranging for derelict Space Stations, abandoned Ships, Escape Pods and other varied locations. In order to do this the Scavengers employ the use of a outdated NanoTreasen Mk4 Exploration Ship as well as equipment to facilitate their scavenging.

SCAVENGING ASPECT
Spoiler:
While you could technically tear down every wall, floor and chairs at the locations you are exploring, that is unfeasible and a waste of your time. Your job is to locate Scrap lying around in random locations and haul it back to the Station.

Somewhat similar to mining you have to find "Scrap" materials, load it in a special container, and haul it to a Cargo Module for transport back to the Ship and back to the Station for refinement. Scrap can be found anywhere on board scavengable locations but some could be hiding under the floors or even hiding in plain sight requiring tools to locate. (Explain Later)

There are different levels of Scrape, higher levels give more Research Points and Materials upon smelting. They are...

- Scrap: Basic Scrap, most common.
- Reclaimed: More useful Scrap, less common.
- Refined: High Quality Scrap, least common and often found in cargo crates.

Also several unique versions

- Tech: Awards random amounts of research points
- Uranium: Awards Uranium
- Plasma: Awards Plasma

Also on board locations you may find locked crates! Inside these crates range wonderful items, from large deposits of Scrap to High Value Items! In order to get into it however you have two options, blow open the crate with a Demo Charge, losing some or most of its contents, or to hack it open, entailing risk of destruction of the crate. Hacking it entails the use of a Multi Tool to pulse a wire, if its the wrong wire you start a countdown and it re scrambles the wires, get it wrong again and it decreases the countdown, if the countdown reaches zero it destroys the crates contents.

Once you have filled the Ships Stores to the brim you then haul the Ship back to SS13 and unload the Scrap into the Stations Smelter, this will award you two things. Firstly the Materials of the Scrap, ranging from metal and plastasteel, Secondly you are awarded Research Points based on a RP value for each Scrap Item, higher quality Scrap brings in more RP, encouraging bigger hauls.

RESEARCH ASPECT
Spoiler:
Your Ship and Equipment are old and out of date and you could do with better, Central Command will offer plans and equipment in exchange for proof of your expeditions in the form of Research Points. As you locate and haul in Scrap your team will be awarded Research Points to use to upgarde the Ship and your Equipment to a higher and better standard to allow you to better do your job and tackle highly dangerous but rewarding Dirlects.

What can you research? Well that is up to debate but here are some ideas.

Ship Research
- Engine Upgrade:Uranium - Upgrades the Ships Engines to accept Uranium as a Fuel Source.

- Engine Upgrade:Plasma - Upgrades the Ships Engines to accept (Mined) Plasma as a Fuel Source

- Engine Upgrade:Increased Fuel Tanks: Adds an additional two fuel tanks to the Ships Engines, allowing more fuel space

- Scanners - Allows the ship to Scan adjacent Sectors instead of having to be in them, save on fuel and time costs.

- Advance Scanners - Allows the Ship to gain a highly detailed Scan of adjacent Sectors, revealing Sector scrap value and hostile presences.

- Quantum Cargo Hold - Doubles the Cargo Capacity of the Ship

Personal Research
- Suit Upgrade:Speed - Increases the running speed of the Scavengers RIG's.

- Suit Upgrade:Armour - Increases Melee protection values.

- Weapon Upgrade: Gauss Carbine - Allows the production of a expensive Gauss Carbine as a replacement for the Gauss Pistol

- Jetpack Upgrade: Actually makes the Jetpacks useful instead of glorified Fire Extinguishers.

SCAVENGER EQUIPMENT
Spoiler:
Scavenging is not a staple job in NT, as such you are initially provided with sub par and outdated equipment and are expected to work with it, lets take a look at the stock then.

Scavrig Suit - Bulky Scavenging RIG Suit, pathetic in every real respect with its only saving grace is its Advance Radiation Shielding giving complete Radiation Protection.

Scrap Bag - Repurposed Mining Satchel that carries Scrap.

Stabilization Pack - Fancy name for a higher capacity Fire Extinguisher you wear on your back that has both a large oxygen capacity and functions as Internals. Only about 30 uses but allows some movement in Zero Gravity. Jetpacks are really expensive, why else does only the Captain have a personal Jetpack?

Gauss Pistol - Personal defense weapon that in reality is not really great, only deals any meaningful damage in low pressure environments (Space) and has a limited range of only around 4 to 5 tiles and a magazine capacity of 5 rounds. Good for killing low level alien lifeforms and pushing away the high level ones.

Demo Charge - Each Scavenger has a single low yield Demolition Charge, typically used to break into Ship Vaults or into Secure Crates if they wish to forgo Hacking it. More can be produced on station with scavenged materials. Useless in killing people due to the device spreading the explosion outward.(Prevent someone making infinite C4 Charges)

Detector - A repurposed T-Ray Scanner, used to detect hidden Scrap piles under floors and those in plain sight.

ADVANCE RESEARCHED EQUIPMENT
GAUSS CARBINE - More reliable PDW, holds 8 rounds in a magazine and has a range of 7 tiles. Deals moderate damage to targets in low pressure enviroments, ineffective against anyone wearing Armour. Want to be using this when going to the high risk locations

Advance Detector - Detects normally undetectable Scrap and has a further detection range.

Stabilization Pack V2 - Doubles the uses to 60 and allows the user to set the Pack to "Jet Mode" allowing Jetpack like movement at the cost of rapid draining of Oxygen.

Adv Scavrig Suit- Lightweight RIG Suit, reasonable protection, good movement speed and has an inbuilt medical system allowing injection of Innaprovline upon Critical Life signs of the user
YOUR SHIP
Spoiler:
This is how you do your job, your ship is an old outdated NT Exploration Class Ship. You can upgrade it with spent Research Points once you start bringing in Scrap.

The ships engines run on Fuel, standard Fuel is cheap and you start with enough to last for a while with more fuel orderable from Cargo. Your ship has six Fuel Cells that are refilled from a Ship Refilling Station, you could also go into the Engine Room and refill the Cells Automatic/Steal the Cell/Rig them to explode and destroy the ship. Later down the line you can upgrade the engine to accept more superior forms of fuel in the form of Uranium and then Plasma, giving more speed. There is also a Emergency Fuel Cell that is activated when all other fuel is exhausted, which should be used to try and get back to the station.

The ship also comes with Sublight Engines, they run off the Ships Power Cells and allow the ship to return to the station if all fuel is gone but very very slowly.

The ship itself is powered from Mini-Singularity Engine, as is standard for most old style NT Ships. Unlike the actual Station Singularity this Sing is contained inside a Generator that fuels the ships power. In the event of sabotage the Singularity is shutdown by emergency shutdown systems, however restarting the singularity is annoying to do.

The ship also contains a Medbay, equipped with a Sleeper to transport wounded scavengers back to station, personal quarters, a Refactory, the Locker Room, EVA and the Bridge.

Yeah.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #56094

This would be a gigantic amount of work, and we have basically no space content or even infrastructure for good space content available to make this happen, on top of the whole ship-building stuff to do.
Apparently I was an director or something.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56098

You'd really have to impliment Z7 with a randomized or procedural loot table (so as to keep the "job" from just being a rote loot run every time) and give it a way to actually tie back to something on the station (probably research but maybe xeno or something.)
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #56139

Why would you want jobs that are SUPPOSED to fuck off from the station?

People should not be bored of what's going on on the station. If they are, that's a problem, and we should be focusing on fixing it by improving station content, not give people even more excuse to fuck off and be absolutely useless for everyone whole round. We already have mining which is basically that anyway.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #56168

The problem with this is most of the game is based around a fairly small area. This is mainly due to actually not many people play this game (compared with an MMO) and if you start to spread players out over a larger area it starts to feel really empty really quickly. Exploration games are fun, but this is not a exploration game, its one based around interaction between other players (mainly). Buggering off into space, especially when it has a legitimate job title, spreads these interactions even more thinly.

Its also, as others have said, a shit load of mapping and coding and would be a HUGE update to the game that I really doubt anyone will put that much work into when there are so many other things to fix or smaller things to make.

Simply put, if you REALLY want to explore, be creative, ask the HoP for that job. Given enough reasoning and creativity you can make any job you really want. Or ask an admin to make you "officially" that job role for a role for a round, Some will probably help this happen.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #56170

The problem is there's little to explore in the first place, and no real meaningful content to support that, even if we do get a expanded 7th Z-level, that would only help us get so far. Saying we can't have a exploration based job cause people will abandon the station is bollocks, just simply restricting the exploration levels to be only accessible to that job role would solve that.

Also, we get anywhere between 30 to 80 people on the server at most times, that's far more than most multiplayer servers. That number of people nicely fills up the station, having two to three people off station (or 6 if your including mining) ain't going to ruin the station's population.

But as noted, its a lot of work for a feature that's likely to never be accepted by the codebase anyway.