Give engineering borgs pipes

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Give engineering borgs pipes

Post by Atticat » #7433

Ok so the title says it all. Currently, pipe damage to the station is a serious hassle because techs can't carry stacks of pipes around like wires. And if disposal pipes are damaged they can be a serious annoyance due to the inability of storing them in the standard backpack. While there are ways to circumvent this (if still time consuming) engineering silicones are equipped with everything an engineer could want for basic repairs (even REINFORCED GLASS). I've been thinking out it for a while and I don't think it'd be too OP if engi borgs could deploy pipes. Heck I'd be able to settle with keeping the restrictions on disposal pipes. Currently if a large area is damaged it will take MUCH longer -if-ever, for the pipes to be repaired. OPINIONS????????¿-

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: give engineer borgs pipes

Post by imblyings » #7438

adding on to this

if a new RD item could be made that takes metal and shits out pipes, that would be nice
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #7453

FYI: Use a wrench on a pipe dispenser to move it, use wrench again to lock it in place to use it again.

Yeah, mind blowing, I know
MrMindless
Byond Username: MrMindless

Re: Give engineering borgs pipes

Post by MrMindless » #7539

About the (disposal) pipe dispenser. Imho there should be a way (probably related to science) to build a second one. They get blown up? Game over.

And if they're constructable they should be upgradable, like say a maximum upgraded dispenser dispenses them in 1/3th the time and can be used while unwrenched as long as the room its in has power
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #7630

Instead of that, just allow the autolathe to crank out shit like that with a material cost.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #7675

Malkevin wrote:FYI: Use a wrench on a pipe dispenser to move it, use wrench again to lock it in place to use it again.

That is an extremely ineffective and inefficient way to address multiple explosions happening in different places simultaneously; not to mention fighting to protect the damn thing. :roll:
Do you have any actual reasons for why the engineering cyborg should be restricted from having pipes?

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #7714

Atticat wrote:
Malkevin wrote:FYI: Use a wrench on a pipe dispenser to move it, use wrench again to lock it in place to use it again.

That is an extremely ineffective and inefficient way to address multiple explosions happening in different places simultaneously; not to mention fighting to protect the damn thing. :roll:
Do you have any actual reasons for why the engineering cyborg should be restricted from having pipes?
It would be an efficient way to keep the station from going to hell.

Can't have the station livable after all.

More to the point it allows a single engineering borg to take over any work that engineers or atmos techs might have.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #7730

The point of cyborg modules is to be very good at one specific task or role, but be shit or unable to do others, while humans can be diverse and do almost anything with the right gear.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #7768

I appreciate and understand those arguments, so thanks for the replies. Really. In fact I actually agree borgs should be limited, but I think the difficulty of repairing pipes (especially when factoring in disposals) compared to floors,walls,wires and glass needs to be discussed. I see a lot of rounds where pipes are flat out ignored when repairing a bombed medbay. While bringing the portable dispenser can work, I've often been stopped by the CE due the pipe dispenser's inability to be reproduced. Instead I'm forced to shove a massive amount of pipes into a crate and spend 15 seconds loading the list every time I right click it.
Last edited by Atticat on Wed May 21, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #7771

What really needs to be done is that pipes/wires can't be destroyed when the wall or flooring remains.
Atticat

Post by Atticat » #7775

Absolutely. I used to play atmospherics tech a lot and that was a huge hassle

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #7783

Atticat wrote:

Oh I wasnt saying that as a no, just that its a thing a lot of people dont know.

I literally slapped myself in the face when, after two years of playing, someone on baystation told me about wrenching.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #7804

Just make pipes high battery cost.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7817

What, and let them only have five or so pipes per superbattery charge?
Just let cargo order some, have a "pipe bag" or something similar.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #8055

Kelenius wrote:What really needs to be done is that atmospherics needs to be less of a bad job
I agree completely
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #8064

Piping needs to be tougher really, it rarely gets fixed because it's so time consuming, this wouldn't really solve that issue

Especially disposal pipes, they're a nightmare to replace and honestly

Unless it's a minibomb, a syndicate bomb, or a proper transfer valve (or a hacked borg explosion), pipes shouldn't get destroyed
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #8079

It wouldn't be too hard to make pipes more robust.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #8113

Pretty sure it would be as easy as changing the ex_act for pipes.... maybe I will do this
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #8123

It is, just make them unable to be damaged by weak explosions. Wires are easy enough to repair so they don't need the protection.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -