Beepsky should trip people if he's chasing after a criminal.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Beepsky should trip people if he's chasing after a criminal.

Post by Cuboos » #90695

I think it would both make sense and be hilarious. If he's just cruising around leisurely on patrol, he'd be easy to step over/avoid. But, once he's after a criminal, he's off like a loose cannon. I've seen him pass under plenty of people going after someone on the wanted list, it might add just a slight bit of hilarity if he tripped who ever he ran into on his chase. It should be a short trip, just as long as a low yield banana peel to cut down on griff factor, so a wanted criminal doesn't go run into a bunch of people with beepsky after him or her and use it for a mass stun in a murderboning spree (we already have flash bangs for that). Just imagine the HOP lines "CRIMINAL DETECTED" *flopflopflopflopflop STUN*
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Beepsky should trip people if he's chasing after a crimi

Post by DemonFiren » #90702

Make it a low chance to trip, and a high chance to flip. Everyone's somersaulting out of the way automatically.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #90711

I love this idea both for the hilarity effect and the subtle nerf to people that drag around Beepsky with patrol disabled.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #90922

PKPenguin321 wrote:I love this idea both for the hilarity effect and the subtle nerf to people that drag around Beepsky with patrol disabled.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #90938

Balut wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:I love this idea both for the hilarity effect and the subtle nerf to people that drag around Beepsky with patrol disabled.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #90952

ThanatosRa wrote:
Balut wrote:
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #90957

Jeb wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:
Balut wrote:
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #90959

Falamazeer wrote:
Jeb wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:
Balut wrote:
Spoiler:
[youtube]2HBbK4flJR8[/youtube]
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #90980

RG4 wrote:
Falamazeer wrote:
Jeb wrote:
ThanatosRa wrote:
Balut wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91069

Am coding this so that ed-209s kick people out of their way and trample over them to get to the criminals screaming STOP OBSTRUCTING THE LAW.

I like the idea that if an ED-209 comes around the corner, everyone scrambles to get out of the way
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #91114

Yes guys, making beepsky trip people is a really subtle nerf, of course.

All you're doing is suggesting it be completely useless if it happens to turn up while a security officer is trying to arrest someone. It's now more likely to trip up an officer, disarming them and giving the wanted person a chance to get a new weapon,than it is to actually function as a bot.

Equally, making ed-209s trample everyone will make them both useless to security and potentially annoying even to the AI. Even more pointless than they already are, it would seem.

I don't know why security bots need to be significantly worse, but apparently they just do. If you're so upset about people dragging beepsky then just make it harder to drag, don't make more annoying for security than the criminals.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #91118

Cheimon wrote:Yes guys, making beepsky trip people is a really subtle nerf, of course.

All you're doing is suggesting it be completely useless if it happens to turn up while a security officer is trying to arrest someone. It's now more likely to trip up an officer, disarming them and giving the wanted person a chance to get a new weapon,than it is to actually function as a bot.

Equally, making ed-209s trample everyone will make them both useless to security and potentially annoying even to the AI. Even more pointless than they already are, it would seem.

I don't know why security bots need to be significantly worse, but apparently they just do. If you're so upset about people dragging beepsky then just make it harder to drag, don't make more annoying for security than the criminals.
They cant really loot weapons while a secbot is going after them.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #91121

Also, secbots in general are a bit OP now - and if the warden and roboticists collude, it's game over for anyone on the arrest list, as a legion of ED-209s stalk the hall, tasing everything set to arrest.

There should be a disadvantage to the big guys.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿ–•
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #91168

The disadvantage is that you need semi-rare items for each (a helmet and stunbaton/prod for Beepskies; a helmet, taser and armour for EDs), and that if one is emagged, it's a lot more difficult to work out which.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #91176

Be smart, name them. Also, with halfway competent Mining Cargo can order literally dozens of those, and I've had more than one small army of EDs patrolling across the station.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
KAP
Byond Username: Kaptin alexander

Post by KAP » #91182

You don't even need the batons, you can just use the stun prods. you really only need helmets for the bots.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #91280

leibniz wrote:
They cant really loot weapons while a secbot is going after them.
Oh right, and the only person who loots a weapon will be the wanted guy, right? No innocent bystander assistant is going to care that a taser has just been dropped at his feet, he'll walk on by. Yeah right.
There should be a disadvantage to the big guys.
There are disadvantages. The items needed to create them are in a limited supply without cargo's help (no, really, this is why they're not made that often. Plus what QM wants to waste all their points on armour and taser crates when they won't get much out of it?). You have to be able to trust the roboticist making them (or watch them like a hawk). You have to be able to trust the AI entirely (since it can set them to arrest everyone at any point). You have to be able to trust that there isn't one guy with an emag, which is unlikely, and when someone does have an emag they can quickly make the whole scheme pointless. Finally you've got to be sure that the crew won't just turn on the robots, which is a pretty normal situation, especially when they stand to get free tasers and batons out of it. Most people don't mind a single beepsky but anything more than 4 of them and they're going to get beaten up and looted pretty fast.

Security robots have a limited effectiveness. They are very good in a few specific situations, and outside of that they are average to poor. You don't need to nerf them into the ground if you want to change how often they're used, just make them harder to build or drag around or whatever. Ed-209s are slightly different to securitrons, but they are built so rarely and typically end up broken so fast that they don't need to be made totally useless either. They already have disadvantages and weaknesses to cover them.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #91430

This is why i said it should be a short "trip" (lol get it?) Roughly equivalent to a low yield banana peel. So a tripped sec officer doesn't get looted.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #91435

Yeah, it wouldn't be "stun baton" length, it'd be more like "fell over and half a second later you're back up" length.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #91657

Ed-209s are dense, so if you get too many of them, they start interfering with each other's patrol routes, leading to pretty funny dances as they both pick the same direction to avoid the other.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #91840

FUND THE SHIT OUT OF THIS.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #91939

iamgoofball wrote:Yeah, it wouldn't be "stun baton" length, it'd be more like "fell over and half a second later you're back up" length.
I like this. Short enough that it just looks like your character's diving out of the way instead of getting knocked flat on his ass. Allows for some pretty comical shenanigans without being a pain in the ass.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #91957

Jacough wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Yeah, it wouldn't be "stun baton" length, it'd be more like "fell over and half a second later you're back up" length.
I like this. Short enough that it just looks like your character's diving out of the way instead of getting knocked flat on his ass. Allows for some pretty comical shenanigans without being a pain in the ass.
Maybe have some random fluff text with it too for various things. McGrubber dives out of the path of Beepsky just in time! Griffinhime is tripped by a rushing beepsky! Miss Banehamer Narrowly avoided beepsky! Ligger McTrigger topples over beepsky! Shit like that
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #91959

So which one of you is going to code this
Spoiler:
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #92029

SOMEONE CODE THIS NOW.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #92093

ok
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #92274

ty xhuis i love you n-no homo
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #92329

code done, will put on github when le freeze ends
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #92802

Xhuis wrote:code done, will put on github when le freeze ends
We don't deserve you. But we need you.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #92947

This is coming.
But what's that?
Something more...