Timelock/Whitelist Nuke Ops Leader

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Timelock/Whitelist Nuke Ops Leader

Post by Tunder » #94971

Just had to go through a Nuke Ops round with a team leader who has never done it before.

Why is this allowed? Why was it ever allowed?

It puts the Ops at a massive disadvantage, and basically autoflukes if the guy is too retarded to even accept that he shouldn't be explaining a game plan when he forgets his/doesn't know about NVGs, belts, the O2 canister or, oh yeah, the pinpointer.

If you're gonna assign someone leader, it had damned well better be someone who can lead and plan.

Otherwise, make us all equal and let the most robust come out on top.

Don't force us to listen to some would-be murderboner who doesn't know where to park the shuttle or how to reload a firearm.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Re: Timelock/Whitelist Nuke Ops Leader

Post by Ricotez » #94986

Timelock is pointless if someone never actually plays nuke op until the lock ends and they suddenly get leader, and what are you going to do if the nuke ops need a leader but nobody on the whitelist is online?
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #94987

He's sayig time lock the leader position.

Of course nuke op itself should have a time gate. The amount of time I've had ops who don't know how to turn on a jetpack...
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #94988

What ever happened to that PR that was supposed to put a timelock on many antag positions?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #95048

It got buried under the "I'M FROM ANOTHER SERVER AND WHAT IF I WANT TO HOP ON HERE AND PLAY NUKE OPS HUH???!" or something.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #95051

It has a time lock, I think - Just a really really silly one.

Give nuke op an absurd whitelist time of multiple monthes.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #95052

Steelpoint wrote:What ever happened to that PR that was supposed to put a timelock on many antag positions?
You mean my PR? It was merged. It was meant to mitigate the issue but was never intended to prevent it completely.

Timegating is limited in its usefulness. What might work better is have all 5 spawn as regular ops, but one of them would have to volunteer for the leader ID
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
LunchboxKilla
Byond Username: Lunchboxkilla

Post by LunchboxKilla » #95058

I'm just gonna lay this out here... how do people git gud if they never play it? You ever stop to think "Shit this goy an't gud, better help him git gud then?"

I never played blob, got it once and even said I am new how do and was shit on hard by every one... I've only played blob once after that and I still wanna learn to git gud but not be shit on by every one
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #95063

Be a man, stun the leader, and take his ID. It is not hard.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #95068

bandit wrote:Be a man, stun the leader, and take his ID. It is not hard.
I don't know how other admins would feel about this but I would give you shit for doing this.

I think whitelisting nuke ops leaders would be a good idea but TG has a no whitelist policy or some shit.
Scones

Post by Scones » #95071

"How can I get good if I never play it" is true for Blob, not for Nuke. Nuke is 90% about just being good at the time - Knowing your way around the station, being good at combat; it simply offers you better equipment to do so.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #95073

two prong solution

one: make a seperate antag on/off button (on character role selection screen) for nuke op team leader
two: timelock nukeop team leader much higher than nukeop team member

i've done a few OP raids with a decent success rate however it seems like every time i RNG nukeops i am team lead which i'd prefer not to be. would deselect teamleader if i could

pls make dev thx
Scones

Post by Scones » #95074

Considering it's a mode with a lot of planning/cooperation involved team leader should probably have it's own pref and requirements

And I want Thunder11 to finish their special gun godammit
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #95097

Or we cannot better code a new button or shit

Is it so hard to lead somoene else lead?
The future is horrible!
Scones

Post by Scones » #95100

Ezel wrote:Or we cannot better code a new button or shit
?
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #95111

Ezel wrote:Or we cannot better code a new button or shit

Is it so hard to lead somoene else lead?
yes however this usually leads to mass confusion / a powerstruggle / a delay
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #95164

Every nuke op round should start with a wrestling match with the 5 ops, all with those wrestle belt things.
The most robust claims the leadership ID.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #95174

IMO this is just throwing a patch fix on a problem that was borne of another poorly considered fix to a problem.

The original problem was that one/some nuke ops would go ahead and spend all the uplink telecrystals for themselves, leading to much buttstrartion and adminhelping.
The solution was to impose a structure whereby nuke ops were encouraged to plan their attack based on the expenditure of their telecrystals. (The individiual uplink and donation system) Ultimately, this opened up a range of new attack plans for nuke ops. This was good.
Somewhere along the line, someone decided that a single nuke op was to become an ID-privileged leader and charged with managing telecrystals if the nuke ops agreed. Why?
This leads us to the new problem in that there's a good chance you'll get a leader who doesn't have a clue what they're doing.

The solution lies is in addressing the problem, not in continually throwing hasty fixes atop this lasagne of issues and fixes.

I say: Just revert the ID-privileged nuke-op leader and have them all be equals. The most telling aspect of a nuke op team's performance is their ability to execute a planned attack. Teamwork is often critical to their success where robustness might fail them. There is little difference between the teamwork required to define a plan and the teamwork required to execute it. If that's done through democratic process or a dictatorship, it should be up to the nuke ops to decide.
Mime: Depresso
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #95281

The Nuke Leader is to stop the fights over who got to manage the TC nukers were having, IIRC
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #95448

I enjoy having a nuke op leader because in my opinion it reduces the fighting over plans and what to spend telecrystals on (reduces, not eliminates).

Also bandit, if you stunned and stripped me for no reason because I was nuke leader I'd ask admins for permission to kill you. If they didn't respond I'd kill you anyway.

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #95971

Give team antags separate leadership game preference button. That way you can have shorter timer on regular nuke op and longer for the boss, though the biggest impact would be that people who feel they're ready to play a boss role can choose to do so and people who know they don't know how to boss can choose to not be boss while still being able to join in the team antagging. Granted, this doesn't remove the risk of having an idiot boss but I doubt any amount of code is going to do that.
Saltycut
Byond Username: Saltycut

Post by Saltycut » #95995

Big NO to any form of whitelist. Most teams fluke because they don't stick together not because of leader, also I saw many times people giving out their leader card to someone else because they are not confident enough to play as one. Additional button in preferences for OP leader would be the best option in my opinion. Making all the operatives equal with no leader will make some plans never possible to execute.
Last edited by Saltycut on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Femstation 5ever
Scones

Post by Scones » #95997

'Tis summertime.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #96011

Scones wrote:'Tis summertime.
This has been an issue for a long time, I should know, I've been here all summer :honk: