Mech Overhaul

A place to record your ideas for the game.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Mech Overhaul

Post by John_Oxford » #98838

Essentially, the basic concept of this is, that mechs will receive a overhaul of all of their interfaces, UI's and controls. Essentially smoothing out the extremely bulky and clunky design of the interface. They will also receive the ability to be painted any color on the color palette, from a Mech Painter. And have the ability to be made out of custom parts, of which can be made out of different materials, instead of the stock metal and plas-steel.

MECH PAINTING

Mech Painters
Two of these will spawn along the table that hugs the right wall of robotics, these can be used on completed mechs to change their colors, just by simply using the painter on the mech, selecting which part they wish to paint, and confirming the painting process. Painting individual parts costs large amounts of toner. Robotics starts with a box full of them in the clothing locker, located in the south of the room.

Custom Parts
The break down of this is that each mech starts out with 2 basic armor types, of which are needed to hold the mech together, this being the Internal Armor and the External Armor.
Internal Armor
This determines basic attributes of the mech, below lists the modifiers for each of the materials
Metal - Default Speed, Default Strength, Default Modfiers.
Plas-Steel - Speed is lowered, Strength is moderately increased
Silver - Speed is very slightly lowered, Strength is slightly increased
Uranium - Speed is lowered, Strength is increased, Operator takes constant toxins damage if not currently wearing a rad suit
Plasma - Speed is slightly increased, Strength is not changed, Operator takes constant burn damage and toxin damage if not wearing a radsuit
Gold - Speed is greatly increased, Strength is greatly lowered

External Armor
Metal - Default Speed, Default Strength, Default Modfiers.
Plas-Steel - Speed is greatly lowered, Strength is greatly increased,
Silver - Speed is lowered, Strength is increased,
Uranium - Speed is Greatly lowered, Strength is largely increased, Operator takes extreme ammounts of toxin damage if not wearing a radsuit, People standing around the mech take very small ammounts of toxin damage,
Plasma - Speed is not changed, Strength is slightly increased, Operator takes extreme burn and toxin damage if not wearing a rad-suit,
Gold - Speed is extremely increased, Strength is extremely lowered, whatever color the mech is painted, shines with a high polish.

CUSTOM PARTS
There is another tab in the exosuit fabricator that allows for the creation of custom armor plates for a mech.
The following are the parts that can be covered in plates:
Front Hatch, Forearms, Shoulders, Legs, Back, and Knees.
Each material has a tab in the exosuit fabricator that allows custom parts to be built for the mech.
Front hatch and Back custom parts generally increase the most armor and decrease the most speed, and increase the severity of the modifiers
Forearms somewhat increase armor, and somewhat decrease speed, and slightly increase the severity of modifiers.
Shoulders, and Legs generally increase armor and decrease speed, and moderately affect modifiers
Knees only change modifiers/ are for style (gold kneecaps yo)

The parts are put on by using them on the mech, then wrenching and welding.

Sprites may or may not be made soon.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Mech Overhaul

Post by Scones » #98839

Do you plan on coding this or
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #98841

Scones wrote:Do you plan on coding this or
>me
>coding

EDIT: No, i plan to sprite it.
100$ this ends up like gunsmithing, we're i make 100 sprites for it, and no one wants to code it.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #98844

Somewhat pointless to make massive idea threads like this as anything but a proof of concept for a code project you intend on tackling
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #98846

Scones wrote:Somewhat pointless to make massive idea threads like this as anything but a proof of concept for a code project you intend on tackling
It was kind of ment for someone (IE: A coder) to go
"Oh shit man, this is a fucking badass idea, i'm gonna code this shit!"
And 2 weeks later, i can make a golden mech.
Its more or less a suggestion with some information behind it.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #98847

Because clearly only coders can have ideas.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #98863

Gold as a heavy metal doesn't really count in circuitry, Due to engineering wizardy, gold is used on the international space station due to it's ductility, not it's conductivity, It's really not that more conductive than copper, at least not enough to justify using it in space, It becomes more economic because a thinner wire can be formed and carry more charge to weight ratio than copper, It's only viable and used because of the high cost of ounces of material to rocket feul ratio being insane, that and the corrosion resistance is pretty fucking sweet, Which is more significant because of the enriched oxygen there being hard on copper.

That being said, Silver is the most electrically and thermally conductive metal on earth, Your keyboard? Colloidal silver print, Older switches? silver.
As for hardness, it's in the softish metals category, Pure aluminum, zinc and copper range.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #98872

Gold plating making a five-tonne robot faster? This aint minecraft you know.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #98873

Scones wrote:Somewhat pointless to make massive idea threads like this as anything but a proof of concept for a code project you intend on tackling
This thread is great, actually, because it's basically a checklist of stuff to do with some of the pitfalls already explored. Frankly I wish more people made threads with detailed ideas like this.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #98955

IMO ideas like this would really benefit from an improved mining materials system. Alloys and the like, plasteel being the basic (and only) alloy we currently have. I understand it's all a bit minecraft-esque currently, but if there were a variety of grades of "metal" alloys then you could have all sorts of creations influenced by the properties of said alloys.

I could be wrong. I think that mining focuses too much on the "getting" end of the equation and perhaps there's more room for expansion in the "smelting" end of the equation. It would likely be a project just as significant as the OP's though.

I approve of the OP's ideas. Sounds cool.
Mime: Depresso
Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #98957

Honestly adding in more metals would just be amazing, As a well read mid level metalurgist I'm happy to speed up google searches for such a thing by bending someones ear over it. Probably make a thread for mining with basic information on metals ores and their applications for spessmans, maybe someone will take an interest.
Killbasa
Byond Username: Killbasa

Post by Killbasa » #98960

A mech update would be very appreciated. A system with metal types and bonuses sounds awesome if implemented correctly, like having levels of quality on the metals maybe. As for the paint i like it but the only problem i see is someone making a neon green/hot pink ripley. For the custom parts i feel that would have to be something that his hard to obtain, like goliath plates which can only be obtained on the asteroid.
I play Trevor Glomps/Tire Justice.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #99027

mech code is complete fucking garbage, so you won't find anybody willing to code this, and if you did it would be denied on the base of making mech code worse than it is.

i have had plans to implement a tinkers' construct-like system for RD for quite a while, but i've never really done much about it.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #99048

invisty wrote:IMO ideas like this would really benefit from an improved mining materials system. Alloys and the like, plasteel being the basic (and only) alloy we currently have. I understand it's all a bit minecraft-esque currently, but if there were a variety of grades of "metal" alloys then you could have all sorts of creations influenced by the properties of said alloys.

I could be wrong. I think that mining focuses too much on the "getting" end of the equation and perhaps there's more room for expansion in the "smelting" end of the equation. It would likely be a project just as significant as the OP's though.

I approve of the OP's ideas. Sounds cool.

This.

Essentially it'd be better if we added a better ore/metal/alloy system before adding the really simplistic ore set we have now to mechs.
Once again, i can't code ores for shit, i can make some sprites though.
If someone wants to elect themseleves to code a fuckton of ores, i'd be more than happy to make some sprites for it.
We also need mech code re-coded all together if the custom parts thing is going to be added,

Essentially, we need some fukken coders, yo.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Killbasa

Post by Killbasa » #99064

Miauw wrote:mech code is complete fucking garbage
Garbage in what way? Is it just a clusterfuck of code?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #99067

Killbasa wrote:
Miauw wrote:mech code is complete fucking garbage
Garbage in what way? Is it just a clusterfuck of code?
Something like that, yes. We could use a refactor or rewrite of mech code before expanding the feature.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #99097

>external armour
>damages someone inside a cockpit
Literally how/why
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Killbasa

Post by Killbasa » #99121

CosmicScientist wrote:
tedward1337 wrote:>external armour
>damages someone inside a cockpit
Literally how/why
I assume the concept is internal armour is what makes up the actual frame of the mech? If I'm completely wrong and it literally is just internal and external armour layers then yes it is weird.
I'm pretty sure that it is literally internal and external, but now that i think about it the frame could also be involved somehow.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #99175

I always assumed the frame was the internal armor, the thing that held all the servos, wiring, and circut boards together, and the external armor was the thing that stopped all the shit from coming in, because it was the only thing stopping the outside from becoming the inside and vice versa.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #99181

Have you ever actually built a mech in robotics? The frame and the internal metal/plasteel plating are totally different parts.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #99191

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Have you ever actually built a mech in robotics? The frame and the internal metal/plasteel plating are totally different parts.
I've built easily hundreds.

The frame you build from the exosuit fabricator generally represents the servos and gears that make the mech move, also including any on-board electronics.
The internal armor compresses all this shit down, making sure its secure, and creates a small base for the external armor.
Notice when you put the internal armor on, on a ripley, there are gaps around the edges of the armor.
This is where the external armor comes into play, the external armor covers over all the internal armor plates, bolts onto the internals, and overall secures itself onto the mech.
Generally, you could refer to the fabricator built parts as the sub-frame, the internal armor as the frame, and the external armor as the armor itself.

What you are trying to say requires you to have actual blueprints for the mech itself.
Assuming you don't have real life blue prints, the design of the mech is up for interpetation.

Having the fabricated parts be the frame, would mean there would be two sets of armor.
Why would a mech have two sets of armor when it can have one all together, increasing the effective build time.
Why would a mech bother to have internal armor if the internal armor is so weak.
Why would a mech not have the internal "armor" be made out of plas-steel, reinforcing the whole mech all together.
Why would a mech want to have internal armor, if it could have a sub frame, a frame, and armor plates.

Take the gygax for example.
The first few steps of creating one, generally consist of making all the parts
The arms, legs, torso, head, and armor.
You start by connecting all the fabricated parts together, creating a skeleton of a mech.
You then connect the hydraulics, add control and weapons boards
Then you add scanning modules and capacitors.

After all that is completed, you have a finished skeleton version of a gygax, only consisting of electronics, servos, and hydraulics.
Adding 5 metal is referred to as the internal armor. This solidifies the sub frame, creating a base for the armor plates.
The heavier, more bulkier armor (See: External Armor) men't to absorb most of the damage inflicted onto the mech, is then added.
The internal armor sets sturdy base for the external armor, linking to the sub-frame, allowing the pressure on the external armor to be distributed evenly through the mech.
You then take the external armor, place it on, wrench it (Securing it onto the internal armor plates) and then welding it, finishing the mech.

TL;DR, Your arguement is invalid.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Refering to the orginal question of how external armor could affect someone inside.
If your external armor is made out of uranium, a radioactive substance.
You are going to be irradiated.
If the internal armor is made out of some sort of anti-radiation shielding, the effect is nulled.
I assume you we're talking about modifiers at the end of the status effects for making the mechs out of certain parts.

If you where referring to normal base damage.
I mean the mech would be more susceptible or less susceptible to that specific kind of damage.
For example, silver is known to be a sterile metal, this is why in the late 19th century, baby rattlers and binkys we're made out of silver.
Silver coated mechs would be flashy, and moderately prevent you from catching brain-rot in the event of a outbreak.
This, of course, would be better used in Odyesuses, whom of which are more likely to be exposed to viruses.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if mech code is redone, more metals are added, all this shit is done and what not.

We could consider adding more mechs.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Falamazeer

Post by Falamazeer » #99220

John_Oxford wrote: For example, silver is known to be a sterile metal, this is why in the late 19th century, baby rattlers and binkys we're made out of silver.
Silver was toted around as a pure thing, possibly even holy, Like salt, this is true today, I saw a guy who had blue skin from drinking a silver bearing tonic, a lot.
Silver's not even hypoallergenic actually, and it's not anti microbial either. Though that's a thing, there is an alloy called 'Nordic Gold' that germs have a hard time setting up on, and many countries choose to use it for currency for that reason, or an unpatented knock off of the same alloy.

tl;dr patently untrue, you can get tetnus from silver the same as a rusty nail.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #99332

Falamazeer wrote:Silver's not even hypoallergenic actually, and it's not anti microbial either.
It totally is. Silver in Health Care: Antimicrobial Effects and Safety in Use (from Current Problems in Dermatology, 2006; it's included in the sample PDF). Also explains how silver sulfadiazine really works, in case any of you spess chemists were wondering.

Anyway, back on topic. A uranium-plated mech wouldn't irradiate the mech pilot, because uranium decays very slowly and alpha particles are mostly stopped by skin and clothing. (If you're an idiot and grind up the uranium and eat it, then yeah, that'll mess you up.) A uranium-plated mech would also be slow as shit. However, the armor would very effectively block not only projectiles and impacts, but also any kind of energy attack, including x-ray lasers. What you have at that point is a tank, and many real tanks do use uranium armor.

You'd get all the same benefits with gold, though. I'd think the limitation on gold would be that you outright can't use it on certain mechs for mechanical reasons. Like, the Odysseus can be plated in silver (completely protects the pilot from disease) or gold (protects from everything else, but also slow). The Ripley is a grimy industrial mech, and has to use either plasteel (basic mining/cargo handling duty) or uranium (firefighting/salvage model). Not sure what the combat mechs would use, probably plasteel and uranium but maybe gibtonite, for reactive armor? Heh heh.

It might be fun for uranium to emit bursts of radiation when you hit it with lasers or bullets, just because we need more ways to get irradiated.
Remove the AI.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #99335

Good points, all of them.

Personally, i think that before we bother trying to sort out compliacations with mechs, it'd be better that the metalurgy thing get passed and coded.

Because why bother coding systems for mechs that use old metals when we could be getting a entirely new set very soon.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #99432

So golden durands? Why not just do away with the prebuilts and let people slap random goofy mech limbs together?
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #99443

Incomptinence wrote:So golden durands? Why not just do away with the prebuilts and let people slap random goofy mech limbs together?
Golden Odys and depleted-uranium Durands, but yeah.

Nobody's talking about random mismatched mech limbs. For one, it's totally unworkable to sprite all those combinations. More to the point, if there are too many interchangeable parts then the difference betwen one mech and another depends on too many variables to be easily understood. One type of armor vs. another is not really different from mounting one accessory or another, except that it would change the sprite.
Remove the AI.