Default Lethal Weapons for Security

A place to record your ideas for the game.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Re: Default Lethal Weapons for Security

Post by AnonymousNow » #114451

Bottom post of the previous page:

Scones wrote:Sounds like a negative outlook on your part

Security is not a secondary antagonist
It's a negative outlook formed and reinforced over about five years.

Every round, I have to try and make sure security doesn't randomly fuck me over for no raisins, no matter what my role is. I do not always succeed.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #114452

Conflict is fun
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #114453

MisterPerson wrote:Conflict is fun
Conflict is fun, but not consistently against a peacekeeping force that's supposed to be on your side when there's other threats out there.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #114466

Conflict is !!fun!!

But yes, there are times security does mind boggling things for no reason.

Like the occasional sci raids to shut down toxins when there's been no antagonistic activity from anyone even remotely connected to sci
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #114468

Takeguru wrote:Conflict is !!fun!!

But yes, there are times security does mind boggling things for no reason.

Like the occasional sci raids to shut down toxins when there's been no antagonistic activity from anyone even remotely connected to sci
Oh man, I hate that. Problem is, people don't realise bombs have an IC reason to exist - blast mining.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #114469

I actually managed to get bombs for mining once.

This was before fastmos, so I don't know how it works now, but I'd actually just prefer they give me a diamond drill or a Ripley.

Bombs are kind of shit at one of the few non-antag roles they have
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #114474

"i-its for mining!!!!"

what a crock of shit i have nearly 5k connections and i've seen bombs in mining given from science ONCE

ONCE

bombs leave toxins without a good reason -> into the trash you go
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #114475

AnonymousNow wrote:
Conflict is fun, but not consistently against a peacekeeping force that's supposed to be on your side when there's other threats out there.
Oh please,

What do you expect when people inconvenience them at every possible opportunity?

Officer slips? Better grab his shit asap and run around for 30 minutes with it.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #114481

Scones wrote:"i-its for mining!!!!"

what a crock of shit i have nearly 5k connections and i've seen bombs in mining given from science ONCE

ONCE

bombs leave toxins without a good reason -> into the trash you go
Tornadium wrote:
Oh please,

What do you expect when people inconvenience them at every possible opportunity?

Officer slips? Better grab his shit asap and run around for 30 minutes with it.
These are both examples of Chicken-And-Egg problems.

Do people not make mining charges because people don't know that they're supposed to be used for mining? Or do people not make mining charges because people don't already use them for mining charges?

And which came first - shitty sec behaviour, or negative behaviour towards sec?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #114493

It's a lasting consequence of antag sec.

I still find it hard to trust an officer, because I still feel like they'll try to kill me given the chance

Plus, with changelings still existing and the relative ease that you can convert an officer into a gang, my wariness isn't abated.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #114495

I've yet to see bombs be given to miners ever.

I always take a mental note down of whoever is manning Toxins, and the moment they step out, or I see them out of, toxins I search them.

Amusingly most of my deaths by suicide bombs come from that.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #114501

A pretty huge side effect of what buffing lasers would do is completely destroy blob mode. Even more.

Basically, fuck blobs. We got emitter boards ready to merge because fuck blobs, we may have incredibly buffed lasers because fuck blobs, and we have blob cores that are not bomb immune and can be one shot with no way to defend themselves against bombs, because fuck blobs. These are problems that are probably not going to be fixed, and blob will continue to be a pointless mode until bombs no longer one shot it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114545

AnonymousNow wrote:
Security isn't on your side, they're on the company's side
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #114550

the red tide is out in full force

remove remove remove remove
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #114554

AnonymousNow wrote:
These are both examples of Chicken-And-Egg problems.

Do people not make mining charges because people don't know that they're supposed to be used for mining? Or do people not make mining charges because people don't already use them for mining charges?

And which came first - shitty sec behaviour, or negative behaviour towards sec?
It's not really chicken and egg to be completely honest.

You are going out of your way to fuck with security, you are protected by rules.

If Security goes out of their way to fuck with you they get banned because they are shit on by the current ruleset (Admittedly it's getting better). Stripping a sec officer the second he's down without him doing anything to provoke you is quite clearly going to make security want to toss you out an airlock for being a dick.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #114567

People don't make mining charges because they're not necessary for mining. In fact, given they straight up destroy a bunch of stuff (including the floor), they're probably less than helpful.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114575

They shouldn't be destroying asteroid turfs.

They should just be causing the sand to get dug up, I'm pretty ore even got made bombproof.

If thats not happening then someone fucked up somewhere.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #114593

Malkevin wrote:They shouldn't be destroying asteroid turfs.

They should just be causing the sand to get dug up, I'm pretty ore even got made bombproof.

If thats not happening then someone fucked up somewhere.

I do think Ore gets blown up and disintegrated by Gibtonite, so that might've been changed. Atleast with this you could make a really shitty argument that Toxins actually has a point. Sand is dug up though, and the floor is always there, so I dunno, I've never tested it with maxcaps.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #114615

Fun story: The first and last time I used bombs for mining was the same round I discovered the fact that hot bombs detonate instantly.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117143

Bump

Played a few rounds as Sec on Bay.

I fucking love their armory and the weapon choices.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117146

I'm half tempted to look at doing what Bay does for more lethal weaponry.

Essentially there's a high risk area that holds equipment meant for when shit hits the fan, mostly there's three unique weapons that sec has access to that are quite lethal. They have...

Mark 58 Pistol: A powerful sidearm with a wide range of ammunition allowing for lethal and non-lethal options, uses .45 calibre bullets.

WT-550 Automatic Rifle: 9mm Rifle that deals good damage and is good for sustained and reliable damage down range, also has access to non-lethal ammo.

Z8 Bulldog: Our version of the Syndicate Bulldog, this one deals immense damage to anything it hit and even uses anti-armour rounds, its also very rare.

Might be a interesting addition either way.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117148

I did a quick test and added a basic Mark88 Pistol to the game as a test.

It holds eight rounds and be default is loaded with special stun rounds, these rounds deals 5 brute damage per shot but deal 35 stamina damage per shot, stunning targets in three rounds. It also has a lethal alternative holding .45 rounds that deal a default of 25 damage per rounds.

So its feasible, but do we want to throw these new toys in?

E: I can go into detail on how I think the three Bay weapons could fit in but I'll leave that for if we want to go ahead.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117158

Steelpoint wrote:I did a quick test and added a basic Mark88 Pistol to the game as a test.

It holds eight rounds and be default is loaded with special stun rounds, these rounds deals 5 brute damage per shot but deal 35 stamina damage per shot, stunning targets in three rounds. It also has a lethal alternative holding .45 rounds that deal a default of 25 damage per rounds.

So its feasible, but do we want to throw these new toys in?

E: I can go into detail on how I think the three Bay weapons could fit in but I'll leave that for if we want to go ahead.
I'd like to try it,

Even in a "Only for when shit hits the fan" capacity.

Letting officers choose between a taser and a Mark88 as a round start weapon option would be nice too.

You have the trade off between recharge capability and the extra mag space and reload capability.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #117165

Stamina bullets just sounds like a harmful and therefore inferior version of the disabler. And since you can fire 20 disabler shots compared to 8 bullets, it's even worse.

4-hit-crit bullets might be useful though.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117167

Cheimon wrote:Stamina bullets just sounds like a harmful and therefore inferior version of the disabler. And since you can fire 20 disabler shots compared to 8 bullets, it's even worse.

4-hit-crit bullets might be useful though.
Wouldn't the non-lethals function in the same way as the detective revolver and knock them over?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117169

Right now I have the Mark88 Stun rounds stun a target after three bullets, I can lower that to one round however in retrospect.

Or I can get rid of the stun bullets altogther and keep the Mark88 using .45 lethal bullets (25 to 30+ damage).

So the difference between the Mark88 and a Taser is that the Mark88 has a larger ammo capacity (by 3 rounds) and can go through energy swords, but the disadvantage is that it needs physical ammo to reload, whereas the Taser can be reliably recharged. Meaning the Mark88 has to rely on the limited ammo stock in the armoury or in cargo.

I could get rid of the Stun bullets damage just to clear up any Silicon annoyances as well.

If my competence is high enough (doubtful but I did get the ERT to work so eh) I might look at making a officer have to chose between a Taser or Mark88 at round start.

I doubt that will work so otherwise I'll put them in the armoury or replace the Taser with the Mark 88 depending on what we all think is best (if we even want new lethal weapons for Sec).

----

To expand my thoughts I think the Mark 88 should either be standard issue for Officers or kept as standard issue high alert equipment in the armoury. The WT-550 Rifle could be the less common high risk weapon in the armoury (only one or two) alongside the Bulldog.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117171

Well the options are as follows:

Option 1: Do nothing

Option 2: Replace the Taser with the Mark 88 as standard issue for Security Officers. Security Officers get several non-lethal magazines with additional mags in the armoury. Lethal .45 mags are kept in the armoury for emergency situations.

Option 3: Taser remains standard issue, Mark 88s spawns in the armoury as a emergency option alongside other new sec lethal weapons.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117172

Steelpoint wrote:Well the options are as follows:

Option 1: Do nothing

Option 2: Replace the Taser with the Mark 88 as standard issue for Security Officers. Security Officers get several non-lethal magazines with additional mags in the armoury. Lethal .45 mags are kept in the armoury for emergency situations.

Option 3: Taser remains standard issue, Mark 88s spawns in the armoury as a emergency option alongside other new sec lethal weapons.
I like Option 2.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117173

I can tell removing Tasers as standard issue will be controversial.

One advantage of doing that however is that it might encourage Officers to avoid using their firearm on anything, or even have them use other equipment such as Stun Batons or Pepper Spray to conserve their ammo.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117183

Steelpoint wrote:I can tell removing Tasers as standard issue will be controversial.

One advantage of doing that however is that it might encourage Officers to avoid using their firearm on anything, or even have them use other equipment such as Stun Batons or Pepper Spray to conserve their ammo.
Is there a way to randomize the starting equipment choice?

Like one round Sec will spawn with a certain set of equipment?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117185

Individually its easy, as a group I don't think that's doable, or at least not within my level of knowledge.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117186

Steelpoint wrote:Individually its easy, as a group I don't think that's doable, or at least not within my level of knowledge.
I assume there is some kind of role list?

Can we not have something like

- Security Officer
- Mercenary Personel
- Space Police

(name suck but whatever)

And every round randomize which one gets added to the role list and they all spawn with different equipment?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117191

Steelpoint wrote:I can tell removing Tasers as standard issue will be controversial.

I REALLY like the idea of removing tasers tbh, or atleast just making it so the only tasers are the ones that spawn in the armory, they're honestly just not good for the game as a whole. If we were to go with the stamina damage non-lethals, I say it would have to be a 2 shot or 3 shot knockdown. Though as I said earlier, the armor values of many items in the game would need their bullet resistance raised to compensate, because as it stands right now, armor is balanced around having higher laser resistance and lower ballistic resistance due to their scarcity, and also buffing the combat eshield to have a much higher bullet block chance because Ops would get destroyed by the pistol.

A way for officers to get these pistols at round start could be either replacing them with tasers in their suit storage slot if we decide to remove tasers, or removing tasers out of round start sec officers and instead putting 1 pistol in their lockers for them.

Also if I have to ask, are the nonlethal bullets for the pistol a special type of ammo or is it like switching modes on an egun.

Another side effect of removing tasers and replacing them with these would be a gradual shift into moving away from stun combat, which I think everyone is for.
Last edited by Zilenan91 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117194

Man I typed out a long reply only for me to lose it.

In short. Mk58 has 10 rounds and deals stun damage, ammo is limited to 20 rounds in total (gun + 1 extra mag). Lethal ammo is in a high-risk area of the armoury which will be a new segregation. Big problem is that there's no stamina defence in game meaning a Op will be stunned as fast as a Assistant, need to investigate this.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117196

Did some testing, current stun bullet is essentially a ballistic stun round (no stamina damage).

Against a Op it still one shot stuns as a normal taser will, using a energy shield however is a 50/50 toss up on if it blocks the projectile.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117197

Steelpoint wrote:Did some testing, current stun bullet is essentially a ballistic stun round (no stamina damage).

Against a Op it still one shot stuns as a normal taser will, using a energy shield however is a 50/50 toss up on if it blocks the projectile.
Much better than a 100% block rate.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117200

So it's essentially a det revolver. Perhaps it should be changed to stam damage instead of stun.

Also another thing I forgot to add, it will probably be a bad idea to give sec a bulldog, and if you wanted to implement the automatic rifle, perhaps making it so there's only one would be the way to go. Also making there be 2 spare clips of lethal ammo in every sec locker would be nice, because sec needs more ways to kill people (one in the pistol, one spare) as well as 2 nonlethal clips with a bunch more in the armory/sectech vendor.
Last edited by Zilenan91 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117201

I was thinking of either making the Bulldog or the Auto Rifle either a HoS only item and/or a rare one/two item in the armoury.

Prehaps making the Bulldog a semi-auto shotgun upgrade over the standard Riot Shotguns in the armoury while having the auto rifle as something for the HoS/Warden/Whatever.

I'm not even set on what to do with the other two weapons so suggestions are great.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117202

Steelpoint wrote:I was thinking of either making the Bulldog or the Auto Rifle either a HoS only item and/or a rare one/two item in the armoury.

Prehaps making the Bulldog a semi-auto shotgun upgrade over the standard Riot Shotguns in the armoury while having the auto rifle as something for the HoS/Warden/Whatever.

I'm not even set on what to do with the other two weapons so suggestions are great.

Pistols should be given to all of security and are mostly fine with their stechkin 2.0 status, but giving sec easy access to upgraded revolvers is a bad idea, the reason it being okay on Bay being because of its RP level, here it would just get abused. I could see the Auto Rifle being warden specific though, the warden needs some toys what with it being a unique role. What are the stats on the auto rifle anyways? Is it basically a C20-R?
Last edited by Zilenan91 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117203

Bay specific stats don't translate 1:1 to /tg/ considering how their health system is significantly different.

However the rifle is essentially described as a outdated personal defence weapon that uses pistol based 9mm rounds. It has a P90 style magazine with 20 rounds per mag.

The default 9mm rounds deal 20 damage per bullet, it also has alternative rubber bullets that cause some damage and a lot of pain.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117205

Steelpoint wrote:Bay specific stats don't translate 1:1 to /tg/ considering how their health system is significantly different.

However the rifle is essentially described as a outdated personal defence weapon that uses pistol based 9mm rounds. It has a P90 style magazine with 20 rounds per mag.

The default 9mm rounds deal 20 damage per bullet, it also has alternative rubber bullets that cause some damage and a lot of pain.

So it's a C20-R in /tg/ terms. Yeah, that sounds fine as a one of if it doesn't stun/knockdown while with lethal rounds. My guess is the nonlethal rounds would do about 30-35 stamina with minor brute damage (5 or 10, like the det revolver).
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117207

Yeah it would essentially be a C20r without the ability to knock people down, or at least take three or four bullets to stamina damage someone.

Edit: Here are the images for the three guns.

Security Pistol

Security Auto Rifle

Security Shotgun/Carbine
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117208

Steelpoint wrote:Yeah it would essentially be a C20r without the ability to knock people down, or at least take three or four bullets to stamina damage someone.

Edit: Here are the images for the three guns.

Security Pistol

Security Auto Rifle

Security Shotgun/Carbine
Those sprites are sexy
I can also see the Half Life 2 influence in them, the designs are really similar and I feel they fit the security aesthetic really nicely.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117212

I'm half tempted to make the Security Shotgun a sort of Security Rifle, sort of a high damage, low mag weapon for the HoS, akin to how Goonstation reserves a hunting rifle for the HoS in his personal armoury.

So each round might deal a lot of damage, such as 80 brute, as well as having 20 AP. But it only has three or so rounds per magazine.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117215

Sounds pretty good so long as it doesn't have too much spare ammo.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117218

Well one step at a time anyway.

Here's my progress on the Mark 58 Security Pistol, images included.

----

The Mark 58 holds ten rounds per magazine, security officers are issued one pistol as a standard issue sidearm, with it being equipped with a stun magazine. Officers are also issued a second magazine, additional mags can be acquired from the Warden or ordered from Cargo.

The Stun rounds currently act as a normal stun from a taser, aside from it being a bullet.

The lethal rounds currently deal 20 damage per round, HOWEVER this is a placeholder until we can agree on a good damage number.

Images below

To the left is a lethal magazine (armoury only), the middle is the HoS/Warden exclusive gun (Officers get no wooden grip) and to the right is a stun magazine.
Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #117220

I can see the shitstorm now as Security shoots an innocent black man who was just trying to fix the Bartenders face with a crowbar.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #117221

Steelpoint wrote:Well one step at a time anyway.

Here's my progress on the Mark 58 Security Pistol, images included.

----

The Mark 58 holds ten rounds per magazine, security officers are issued one pistol as a standard issue sidearm, with it being equipped with a stun magazine. Officers are also issued a second magazine, additional mags can be acquired from the Warden or ordered from Cargo.

The Stun rounds currently act as a normal stun from a taser, aside from it being a bullet.

The lethal rounds currently deal 20 damage per round, HOWEVER this is a placeholder until we can agree on a good damage number.

Images below

To the left is a lethal magazine (armoury only), the middle is the HoS/Warden exclusive gun (Officers get no wooden grip) and to the right is a stun magazine.
How many spare lethal rounds will there be in the armoury? Also having the stun rounds do stamina damage would be far preferred over just stunning. I also feel like making the pistol do 25 brute would be preferrable.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117224

About six or so non-lethal magazines in the general armoury with five lethal magazines in the secure armoury. HoS and Warden will spawn/have in locker their own lethal mags so as to not immediently draw on the Armoury's supply.

Proactive Warden's would be wise in ordering more ammo to supplement security's ammo reserve.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #117226

Hunting rifle's actually a CMO thing I think, comes with tranq rounds for him for unruly patients.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #117228

I think they both get hunting rifles.

The Security Rifle is just a concept I'm throwing up, I'm more focused on the stock pistol and if we should make it standard issue or not. As well as the Security Auto Rifle.