Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg [PR now up]

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: Secborg replacement: Peacekeeper Borg

Post by Luke Cox » #171396

Bottom post of the previous page:

Drynwyn wrote:Okay, name proposals I like so far are the H.E.L.P, the Harm Prevention Edgeless Safety Cyborg, and the Mediator.

That said, while I might sneak H.E.L.P or Edgeless Safety Cyborg into a description somewhere, they're too long and don't give a clear enough idea of the borg module's purpose to use as the module's primary name.

Still can't figure out why the compiled code runs fine in my not-a-git-repo folder and dies in my is-a-git-repo folder- presumably there is a file somewhere I failed to copy paste, but I can't imagine what I touched that would be completely preventing the DMB from running while not producing any compiler errors.

EDIT: Fixed the running problem, it was a permissions thing, not an issue with the code. Now I just need to get this onto Git.
Very nice. Give us a link once the PR is up
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #171400

Remie Richards wrote: As I already said to you above, there's a pink tint to the white, which is what makes it an eggshell white.
Oh, sorry, I just saw the silly and unproductive arguments continue and scrolled past it.

Maybe it's more noticeable ingame, but I can't make out the pint tint, but I will see.
Topham
Byond Username: Topham

Post by Topham » #171435

dionysus24779 wrote:
Remie Richards wrote: As I already said to you above, there's a pink tint to the white, which is what makes it an eggshell white.
Oh, sorry, I just saw the silly and unproductive arguments continue and scrolled past it.

Maybe it's more noticeable ingame, but I can't make out the pint tint, but I will see.
It's hard to see, but I can see it. It's used for the egshell effect, if you want a borg that's noticeably pink then that's a different story.
It could probably be doable just like service borg types but, the question is, would Remie the Wonderful bother to make different colors for the sprites, like baby blue or pink?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171443

guys if you just want the skin put it on the service borg
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171471

We get it PK, you don't like this. People still want to try this borg out and have put the time and effort into actually making it. Please, try to contain your silicon hate boner. There are actually other valid opinions than yours.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171473

Luke Cox wrote:We get it PK, you don't like this. People still want to try this borg out. Please, try to contain your silicon hate boner
I've pointed out why it was wrong like twice now and you've not responded both times, now you're just shitposting.

It's so clear that you know I'm right. It's time to let this codebaby go, Luke. It will be okay.
Spoiler:
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #171474

oh my god it's not even luke's codebabe, he didn't do the fucking code, if it was anyone's codebaby it would be my codebaby, fuck's sake

can you please hold off on screaming at each other until I get the PR up jesus shit
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171478

PK, you're the only one adamantly against this being added. I and several others have explained in great detail why we think your opinion is wrong. You have an almost autistic level of fixation on making sure this doesn't get added. I took your disagreement as constructive feedback before, but now you're just coming across as a pompous dick. Your opinion is not fact, and people are going to want to try features that you don't necessarily agree with. Grow the fuck up and get over it.
Drynwyn wrote:oh my god it's not even luke's codebabe, he didn't do the fucking code, if it was anyone's codebaby it would be my codebaby, fuck's sake

can you please hold off on screaming at each other until I get the PR up jesus shit
Don't mind PK, his autism is acting up again. We all appreciate the work you've put into this.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171480

>he has autism he has autism he has autism ignore him ignoRE HIM REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
that is a paprika-tier reaction to negative feedback
I and several others have explained in great detail why we think your opinion is wrong.
except you haven't, as far as i can tell nobody's even read my post
oh my god it's not even luke's codebabe, he didn't do the fucking code, if it was anyone's codebaby it would be my codebaby, fuck's sake
fine, ideababy, whatever. the point is that luke's got some kind of crazy grudge for this even though it's a shit idea in basically all respects and he doesn't even have any reason to back it up anymore other than "PK's autistic"
Spoiler:
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #171485

Luke Cox wrote:PK, you're the only one adamantly against this being added. I and several others have explained in great detail why we think your opinion is wrong. You have an almost autistic level of fixation on making sure this doesn't get added. I took your disagreement as constructive feedback before, but now you're just coming across as a pompous dick. Your opinion is not fact, and people are going to want to try features that you don't necessarily agree with. Grow the fuck up and get over it.
Drynwyn wrote:oh my god it's not even luke's codebabe, he didn't do the fucking code, if it was anyone's codebaby it would be my codebaby, fuck's sake

Don't mind PK, his autism is acting up again. We all appreciate the work you've put into this.
He's not the only one, I gave my arguement and you guys don't listen.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #171487

Weekly reminder (I missed a few days) that this is still a terrible idea
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171491

PKPenguin321 wrote:>he has autism he has autism he has autism ignore him ignoRE HIM REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
that is a paprika-tier reaction to negative feedback
I and several others have explained in great detail why we think your opinion is wrong.
except you haven't, as far as i can tell nobody's even read my post
fine, ideababy, whatever. the point is that luke's got some kind of crazy grudge for this even though it's a shit idea in basically all respects and he doesn't even have any reason to back it up anymore other than "PK's autistic"
I've backed this idea up many times, you just ignore it every time. I'll explain it one more time. The design of the secborg encouraged validhunting and law 2 violations in favor of playing mall cop. Removing secborg has eliminated this problem, but it's also left the AI unable to perform its primary function under law 1. Yes, the AI actually has to intervene in conflict whenever it can due to the "through inaction" bit in law 1. If you have a problem with this, the issue is asimov itself, not borgs. To give the AI a means of dealing with conflict without having it play robocop, we should give it a borg with tools to impede violent individuals and help victims escape. If standard borgs don't validhunt with their stun baton, I don't think these borgs would even if they had the physical means to do so. No stuns, no restraints, no sec hud, no anything from the secborg.
yackemflam wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:PK, you're the only one adamantly against this being added. I and several others have explained in great detail why we think your opinion is wrong. You have an almost autistic level of fixation on making sure this doesn't get added. I took your disagreement as constructive feedback before, but now you're just coming across as a pompous dick. Your opinion is not fact, and people are going to want to try features that you don't necessarily agree with. Grow the fuck up and get over it.

He's not the only one, I gave my arguement and you guys don't listen.
I'm not saying that PK is the only one who disagrees. It looks like the majority of people vaguely support this at least, but other people have brought up valid points. PK is the only one who throws a tantrum whenever the project makes any kind of progress, however.. I disagree with you, but I can respect your opinion. Once the PR is up and we can test this, we can work towards something everybody likes.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #171494

Why not poll make a poll?

You know, so that you can back your arguement with that people actually likes this idea.
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #171495

I don't think the majority of the people who play on the servers give a single shit about the peacekeeper borg. They'll just be told it's a worse secborg and know it's bad because of the recent testing we did with them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171496

I plan on making a poll once we get a working version of this ready to test.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171515

Luke Cox wrote:I've backed this idea up many times, you just ignore it every time. I'll explain it one more time. The design of the secborg encouraged validhunting and law 2 violations in favor of playing mall cop. Removing secborg has eliminated this problem, but it's also left the AI unable to perform its primary function under law 1. Yes, the AI actually has to intervene in conflict whenever it can due to the "through inaction" bit in law 1. If you have a problem with this, the issue is asimov itself, not borgs. To give the AI a means of dealing with conflict without having it play robocop, we should give it a borg with tools to impede violent individuals and help victims escape. If standard borgs don't validhunt with their stun baton, I don't think these borgs would even if they had the physical means to do so. No stuns, no restraints, no sec hud, no anything from the secborg.
But see, I've talked about this and basically disproved it all, and you haven't actually argued back in any ways besides just restating your argument. I'd like you to go back and really read this post here.
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171519

You didn't "prove" jack shit, all you did was state your opinion and complain about people who play silicons
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171522

Luke Cox wrote:You didn't "prove" jack shit, all you did was state your opinion and complain about people who play silicons
You have failed to read, friend. Calm down and come back when you've cooled off. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171523

Then would you care to point out the part where you "prove" anything?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171528

Luke Cox wrote:Then would you care to point out the part where you "prove" anything?
>inb4 "this is just analysis you didn't technically prove anything" pedantic memery

i'll try to be really concise since i'm tired:

1. Law 1 obliges you to help humans that are in danger, and hopefully save them. If you try your best and the human still dies, you've still satisfied law 1. AIs do not need the tools to save the human every single time, nor for the sake of the fun of the game should they be given those tools.

2. Standard borgs DO happen a lot more often since secborg removal, contrary to what you claim. This is anecdotal proof at best without some kind of statistic, yes, but I've been around a while, and before secborgs were removed you pretty much only ever played standard borg on accident.

3. Standard borgs are better at preventing harm than the borg module you propose. The proposed borg module is rendered obsolete and inferior by it, leaving one to wonder why they would ever pick the proposed module over standard borg. It is like if the standard borg had a hypospray while the mediborg only had a dropper with 5u of omnizine in it. Because you're so focused on making this borg weak, you're not really able to buff it past the point of standard borg without treading back into secborg territory. Your design in this sense is inherently flawed.

4. Borg specialization as shown by engiborgs/janiborgs/medical borgs is good. They have a purpose outside of their laws (building/repairing, cleaning, healing, respectively). This is very good design, as it makes them engaging to play and helpful/tolerable to other players around them.
Making a borg module that exists to only serve the purpose of validhunting under the excuse of "muh law 1" with no other specialization does the opposite, and is bad design. (Not to mention it's not even as good at it's specialized purpose as the standard borg module.)

tl;dr: Your motives behind the laws versus the purpose of silicons is flawed, the borg module proposed encourages bad gameplay, the borg module proposed is inferior to something already in the game and may as well not exist in the first place.
Spoiler:
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #171533

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Then would you care to point out the part where you "prove" anything?
>inb4 "this is just analysis you didn't technically prove anything" pedantic memery

i'll try to be really concise since i'm tired:

1. Law 1 obliges you to help humans that are in danger, and hopefully save them. If you try your best and the human still dies, you've still satisfied law 1. AIs do not need the tools to save the human every single time, nor for the sake of the fun of the game should they be given those tools.

2. Standard borgs DO happen a lot more often since secborg removal, contrary to what you claim. This is anecdotal proof at best without some kind of statistic, yes, but I've been around a while, and before secborgs were removed you pretty much only ever played standard borg on accident.

3. Standard borgs are better at preventing harm than the borg module you propose. The proposed borg module is rendered obsolete and inferior by it, leaving one to wonder why they would ever pick the proposed module over standard borg. It is like if the standard borg had a hypospray while the mediborg only had a dropper with 5u of omnizine in it. Because you're so focused on making this borg weak, you're not really able to buff it past the point of standard borg without treading back into secborg territory. Your design in this sense is inherently flawed.

4. Borg specialization as shown by engiborgs/janiborgs/medical borgs is good. They have a purpose outside of their laws (building/repairing, cleaning, healing, respectively). This is very good design, as it makes them engaging to play and helpful/tolerable to other players around them.
Making a borg module that exists to only serve the purpose of validhunting under the excuse of "muh law 1" with no other specialization does the opposite, and is bad design. (Not to mention it's not even as good at it's specialized purpose as the standard borg module.)

tl;dr: Your motives behind the laws versus the purpose of silicons is flawed, the borg module proposed encourages bad gameplay, the borg module proposed is inferior to something already in the game and may as well not exist in the first place.
I would like to add that this would promote more 'antifun' gameplay, way more.

Other borg modules has a purpose other than protect humans.

Standard = jack of all trades stun the offenders, take out fire, check who's hurt and explain why they're hurt, crowbar open depowered doors to let the trapped out, etc (seriously, this module is robust in weird situations)
Engi = maintenance, repair, and the construction of stuff
Medi = Doctor stuff, keeping humans ALIVE rather than just protecting them
Service = Self explanatory
Jani = Self explanatory

Sec = valid hunt any bad guys, ignore orders because the LAW
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171538

1. The AI shouldn't be given the power to validhunt anybody, but they still need something to allow them to perform their primary function. Something balanced. The goal with this is to give the AI a less intrusive way to perform its job. Silicons will have some means of dealing with conflict, but unlike secborgs, this borg's design will discourage validhunting and be very easy for antags to fight against. Peacekeepers can help the victim make their getaway, but security will actually have to take the traitor town.

2. They currently appear more because they are the only borg that has any sort of way to deal with human-on-human conflict. My point in bringing the standard borg up constantly is that they are totally capable of validhunting, but don't. If something less combat-capable is added, how can you say that they will validhunt but standard borgs won't? If this does get added, I would like to see the baton removed from the standard borg.

3. Ranged option in the bola launcher, for one. Adrenals do jack shit against bolas as well. Sedative makes it difficult to chase people. Flash works against rogue silicons. If you're comparing this to the sec borg, you're looking at it wrong. The secborg was designed to disable and detain individuals. This borg is designed to disrupt conflicts and aid the victim's escape. I'm not sure how you simultaneously think this borg is too weak, yet that it will validhunt. Plus, as I said, I want the stun baton removed from the standard borg. A jack-of-all-trades module shouldn't have something that effective at a specific application.

4. This borg may have been created in response to the AI presently not having enough tools to prevent harm, but the borg will have a clear purpose no matter what the active lawset or round type is. Two things happen every round: somebody tries to bash somebody else's face in, and 99.9% of the time the lawset will require you do try and stop it. I'm not usually into heavy RP, but I feel like whole safety egg shtick and cookie dispenser could make for fun RP. And again, don't look at this like a secborg. The goal of this borg is to disrupt conflicts, not detain individuals. Between having a ranged slow, an instant disarm, and a sedative, I think this borg will be highly effective at what it's meant to do while not falling into the same pitfalls that the old secborg did.

@yackemflam: The entire purpose of this whole thing is to create a harm-prevention borg that isn't tied to sec. Its main job is to break up fights.
Last edited by Luke Cox on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #171539

This autism again.

Let's just test that borg.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171540

DemonFiren wrote:This autism again.

That's part of my point. This borg will work out fine in practice. Worst case scenario, it's service borg level.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #171541

Luke Cox wrote:@yackemflam: The entire purpose of this whole thing is to create a harm-prevention borg that isn't tied to sec. Its main job is to break up fights.
The players are going to completely ignore that, and tie themselves to sec anyhow.
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #171542

The arguments for this borg is to allow the AI to break up fights. Why? Why does it need to stop harm? Does the AI fucking implode if a human gets hurt? No. It doesn't. YOU implode because you can't stop the fun. This game is about chaos and violence. People get hurt, and it's not the AI's job to protect them with a legion of validbots that can stun and fuck with antags.

See, I understand. You play AI, you're a floating camera and you get to see all the fights going on and the traitors killing people. I get that you feel helpless there because you can't do anything but close doors.

There's a really easy solution: Don't play AI. Play a role that EXISTS TO STOP ANTAGS. SECURITY!

"But security can't be unstunnable, easily-revived and spaceproof dickbots and operate outside of space law with a flimsy 'do no harm' law!"

I get it, you want to be able to validhunt one round, and then be a super powerful antag the next. NO ROLE GETS TO DO THAT. SECURITY HAD ITS ANTAG REMOVED FOR THIS EXACT REASON.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171544

yackemflam wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:@yackemflam: The entire purpose of this whole thing is to create a harm-prevention borg that isn't tied to sec. Its main job is to break up fights.
The players are going to completely ignore that, and tie themselves to sec anyhow.
That's my point with bringing up the standard borg. As I said, the standard borg in its present state lends itself much more to sec than this ever will, and you don't see them acting like secborgs. I sincerely doubt that it will happen.
yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #171547

Luke Cox wrote:
yackemflam wrote:
That's my point with bringing up the standard borg. As I said, the standard borg in its present state lends itself much more to sec than this ever will, and you don't see them acting like secborgs. I sincerely doubt that it will happen.
And that brings up two main problems.

1. It'll be stronger than standard borg, and people will complain.

2. It'll be weaker than standard borg, people will completely ignore the module because how weak it is, and complain on how useless it is.
NSFW:
Spoiler:
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access

PlaugeWalker
Byond Username: PlaugeWalker

Post by PlaugeWalker » #171560

yackemflam wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
yackemflam wrote:
And that brings up two main problems.

1. It'll be stronger than standard borg, and people will complain.

2. It'll be weaker than standard borg, people will completely ignore the module because how weak it is, and complain on how useless it is.
From the way it sounds, you're fucked on both aspects of the module. I was an avid secborg user. And, I can a test that initially, only the idiots that vaidhunted using sec borg with law 1 as a defense. THat's on them, this is just a H U G B O X borg that's as weak as it sounds. The drug shit is kinda useless, because that just turns the peacekeepers into valid hunters either way. So, let alone the hailer it's basically valid hunting 2.0 but weaker. You have inadvertantly created what you sought to erase . Full fucking circle.
Image\
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #171568

DemonFiren wrote:This autism again.

Lets take the now standard, test it, then ask for feedback/polls.

There's very little constructive input anyone can make until we see a real working version in the game.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #171578

Also I'm waiting on the outcome of this as to whether or not to to let the standard borg keep it's stun baton so I'd rather there be a test so I can make sure I won't forget this shit.
If the borg makes it in, the standard's baton will be getting a downgrade. If not, the stunbaton stays.
Topham

Post by Topham » #171620

Essentially, there are two main sides two the argument here, and I feel like there's a fundamental disagreement that keeps those sides from agreeing with one another ever.

Just remember that laws and function don't necessarily need to be hand-in-hand. If we have AIs to wipe our ass cracks, for example, we would probably still give them silicon laws to make sure they don't tear us secondary or tertiary assholes. So don't use laws as justification for function. Instead, look for function that the station needs and that can be fulfilled efficiently by a silicon. We have to ask ourselves, is reducing the chance of direct harm a function that the station needs? At least from an IC perspective I'd argue yes. But from a gameplay perspective, I can see where the discrepancy is. Thing is, I'm eager to give it a try.

I vote to give it a try, if for no other reason than how far we've gotten with it.
Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #171631

I just want to be a cute little egg borg tbh.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #171633

Aliannera wrote:I just want to be a cute little egg borg tbh.
Service Borg resprite :^)
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #171638

It'd make more sense as a mediborg resprite if you ask me, not like service borgs have to be the only one that have alternate sprites.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #171639

Bring back old secborg sprite when?
Bring back secborg when?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #171644

bring back secborgs, i don't understand why "LMAO GIT GUD FAGGET" is a valid response when someone complains about a holospriting clowndick killing the entire server but if you tell a tater who tried to go loud and can't figure out how to handle an angry segway with a stun gun to "git gud" you're literally H I T L E R

bring back secborgs and give them spreading taser blasts that fill an entire hallway
Redblaze3000
Byond Username: Redblaze3000

Post by Redblaze3000 » #171666

How about we just tell zile and PK to stop sperging and test it on the people that dont come to the forums and see if they like it.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #171672

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
Yes. The must service us.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171675

If this doesn't work out we could use the sprite, but dumping everything Drynwyn has done into the trash because "muh silicon hate boner" is both pointless and an insult to his work. Also, using the egg as a service borg sprite is dumb.
Redblaze3000 wrote:How about we just tell zile and PK to stop sperging and test it on the people that dont come to the forums and see if they like it.
Absolutely this. We will test this, and few to none of the concerns people have will materialize, mark my words. Nothing about the borg is set in stone. We can tweak modules or even add and remove them based on how things work out.
Topham

Post by Topham » #171700

If this does fail, which it very well could, it should at least stay as a mediborg reskin, as it makes no sense for service borg considering the design inconsistency. At least mediborgs are also cuties, so it'd kinda sorta make sense.

I mean, how is an egg supposed to hold a tray with a nuke disk and five syndie bomb drinks on it?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171711

paprika wrote:The arguments for this borg is to allow the AI to break up fights. Why? Why does it need to stop harm? Does the AI fucking implode if a human gets hurt? No. It doesn't. YOU implode because you can't stop the fun. This game is about chaos and violence. People get hurt, and it's not the AI's job to protect them with a legion of validbots that can stun and fuck with antags.

See, I understand. You play AI, you're a floating camera and you get to see all the fights going on and the traitors killing people. I get that you feel helpless there because you can't do anything but close doors.

There's a really easy solution: Don't play AI. Play a role that EXISTS TO STOP ANTAGS. SECURITY!

"But security can't be unstunnable, easily-revived and spaceproof dickbots and operate outside of space law with a flimsy 'do no harm' law!"

I get it, you want to be able to validhunt one round, and then be a super powerful antag the next. NO ROLE GETS TO DO THAT. SECURITY HAD ITS ANTAG REMOVED FOR THIS EXACT REASON.
Hard truth right here.

Like I've been saying, you can't win them all, and you shouldn't be able to. The AI having to try and save humans but being ill-equipped to do so is better RP than a "cookie dispensing hug-egg."
Spoiler:
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #171764

If you can convince me (or more importantly the headcoders and maintainers) that this idea is anything more than simply a way to inject the AI back into situations where it has never belonged in the first place, your chances of getting this merged skyrocket. This is what everyone opposed to this idea is looking for, yet you keep replying with the same, stale rhetoric that the AI needs a way to prevent harm to humans. I agree that malf/traitor AI is lackluster without hacked secborgs, but there are MANY ways to buff it without adding to the AI's validhunt arsenal when it's not an antag.

You need to consider traitors with emags, the fact that anyone can subvert them with a cyborg upload, etc etc. This is a lot more than just roleplay and being everyone's best friend, secborg had serious gameplay ramifications that sullied the silicon role for years, just like traitor security did until it was finally removed.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #171786

I don't think the sprites should be in the game at all if I'm honest. They don't fit the aesthetic even remotely. It's too clean, not broken, dirty, or dinged up at all, totally not something I'd remotely associate with Nanotrasen "quality".
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #171788

Luke Cox wrote:
Redblaze3000 wrote:How about we just tell zile and PK to stop sperging and test it on the people that dont come to the forums and see if they like it.
Absolutely this. We will test this, and few to none of the concerns people have will materialize, mark my words. Nothing about the borg is set in stone. We can tweak modules or even add and remove them based on how things work out.
I have literally already said to go ahead and test this
It'll be shit, but you're free to test it
Spoiler:
Sidon
Byond Username: Sidon

Post by Sidon » #171803

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
Nah, if this doesn't go through give the standard borg different skins like the service ones. Though I would like to see that regardless since it's boring to not have variety.
Zilenan91 wrote:I don't think the sprites should be in the game at all if I'm honest. They don't fit the aesthetic even remotely. It's too clean, not broken, dirty, or dinged up at all, totally not something I'd remotely associate with Nanotrasen "quality".
The game has so many conflicting sprite styles, so this is pretty much a non-issue dude.
Topham

Post by Topham » #171822

Zilenan91 wrote:I don't think the sprites should be in the game at all if I'm honest. They don't fit the aesthetic even remotely. It's too clean, not broken, dirty, or dinged up at all, totally not something I'd remotely associate with Nanotrasen "quality".
Eh, there I'd like to disagree. Yeah, most things in our universe are shitty and dirty but these sprites don't seem to deviate too far. At the very least, the...style?...of the sprites are definitely consistent with the outlines and stuff (i dunno man i'm not a spriter). And yeah, the love egg does seem far to clean and round for the general aesthetic of the world we're playing in but I feel like, considering it's a love-egg, it's appropriate. If a little smudginess on the egg would make more sense then by all means, we can throw that on.

If this borg never gets implemented, I would like to see it be a reskin for mediborgs in a few different soft colors, like a light pink, baby blue, and eggshell white. That way, I can be a pink-haired medical doctor and befriend a pink egg borg and we can straight up be Nurse Joy and Chansey in this bitch.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #171843

Gonna have to deal with some merge conflicts since I can't just copypaste files, since some changes got made to files I changed since I started this project. I know I've said this before but hopefully PR this weekend?!
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #171847

Take your time. The hardest part is done.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #171860

paprika wrote:
Ahaha what? Antag before job is a thing man literally the hos can be jamming jackboots down your throat one round and be a holocookiecutter the next with no change to preferences.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #171862

That was a changeling.