Make Only Chest and Head Damage Crit.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Make Only Chest and Head Damage Crit.

Post by Dr_bee » #507769

Title says most of it. Change the damage system so only cumulative damage to the chest and head areas will lead to crit. This will overall make people tougher sure, but it also will give things like armor that only covers the chest a purpose. It also makes aiming for the legs a less deadly way of subduing someone if all you have access to is lethals.

Arm and leg damage will still matter due to bleeding, and the fact that arms and legs are disabled by damage now. But gone would be the days of being crit due to being lightly damaged on everything.
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Re: Make Only Chest and Head Damage Crit.

Post by actioninja » #508245

This is a really interesting concept I'm going to need to remember.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #508248

You know you can go into shock/pass out from pain/die of blood loss from receiving significant damage to other limbs in real life, right? 100 total damage across all limbs isn't what I'd call "light damage".
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #508285

This got brought up the last time limb damage got reworked, there's a lot to keep in mind such as the fact that hitting a limb during a fight is essentially a miss in the short term and everyone loves losing because of dicerolls, you'd want limbs to be a lot weaker for them to be even remotely worth hitting let alone targeting, but then you run into the problem that a lot of the current body-wide damage procs are balanced around limbs being about as strong as the rest
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #508288

Mickyan wrote:This got brought up the last time limb damage got reworked, there's a lot to keep in mind such as the fact that hitting a limb during a fight is essentially a miss in the short term and everyone loves losing because of dicerolls, you'd want limbs to be a lot weaker for them to be even remotely worth hitting let alone targeting, but then you run into the problem that a lot of the current body-wide damage procs are balanced around limbs being about as strong as the rest
An insightful post from mickyan! Yes this concept requires further investigation before implementation
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #508292

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
Mickyan wrote:This got brought up the last time limb damage got reworked, there's a lot to keep in mind such as the fact that hitting a limb during a fight is essentially a miss in the short term and everyone loves losing because of dicerolls, you'd want limbs to be a lot weaker for them to be even remotely worth hitting let alone targeting, but then you run into the problem that a lot of the current body-wide damage procs are balanced around limbs being about as strong as the rest
An insightful post from mickyan! Yes this concept requires further investigation before implementation
Didnt think about that. Good point. I came up with the idea primarily because basic armors only cover the chest and because of that are mostly useless under the current full limb damage system.

Also I dont think hitting a limb is a full miss. Leg hits cause significantly more slowdown. Arms hits are a miss however, as you need to do 70 damage to disable them.

Also body wide damage procs being weaker isnt necessarily a bad thing if limb health is reduced along with this change, as your muscles will stop working preventing you from moving away from the source of said proc long before you would be in crit from it.

Alot to think about.