Expanding "Social" Service Roles

A place to record your ideas for the game.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Expanding "Social" Service Roles

Post by RaveRadbury » #516460

In my ongoing quest to flesh out civilian/social service jobs I plan to roll out a system where these roles incentivize players to engage them.

The are two parts
1. Providing a positive moodlet for engaging the role (minimum of examining the player)
This causes players to locate and approach the role in order to gain the boost. This opens up opportunities for conversation or engagement.
2. Providing a positive moodlet for sitting in the room belonging to the role (Think buckled to a chair for X minutes)
This helps to break up the monotony of staying in one's department all shift. It can also cause assassination targets to move around and knowledge of a target's quirks to be more valuable (They've been integrated into Med Records but I need to go over that again and do a better job). It also gives the civilian player a captive audience in their domain.

I plan on having players be eligible for these moodlets via two new quirk-pairs. Like ananas preference, they would be mutually exclusive pairs.
Clown-Loving vs Mime-Loving
Introvert vs Extrovert (Librarian vs Bartender)

Ultimately this will both
A. Provide more positive moodlet opportunities
B. Provide more positive quirks that are worth taking

With these two outcomes in mind, I seek to work towards an environment where PR's like this can happen.

Also, of course, with a bunch of people running up to the [Civilian] and hanging out in [Civilian Room] these roles which exist for the purpose of talking to people can actually do that.

So yeah, I'll be PR'ing this in the near future, just wanted to write this down somewhere so I could have it all laid out.

I'd also like to do something like this for Lawyers but can't think of a snappy "Lawyer-Loving" quirk name aside from "Litigious" which is weird but... accurate??
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Expanding "Social" Service Roles

Post by Farquaar » #516550

This is coming from a service main. I like that you're trying to give the service department some love, but I think you're going about it in a less than optimal way.

People interact with the clown because the clown might be funny, and a funny clown makes a round memorable. People interact with a lawyer for a chance to play court-drama, and a good trial makes a round memorable. People interact with the chaplain because rituals and weird religion makes a round memorable. People prefer interacting with creative chefs, because a themed mess hall or menu makes a round memorable.

If one wants to make interactions with the service department more rewarding, one should create more ways for crew in service jobs to flex their creative muscles. A moodlet doesn't make the round memorable, but human creativity does.
► Show Spoiler
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Re: Expanding "Social" Service Roles

Post by Sandshark808 » #516602

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 50#p516556
The above poster had a good idea for a religion subsystem.