AI voice overhaul.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

AI voice overhaul.

Post by Cuboos » #55149

So a while a go, a few coders wanted me to try and recreate the AI announcement voice, so they could have more alerts for things. I'm having some difficulty coming recreating the effect. (No idea what they used or how they even did it). So we got to talking for a bit about redoing the AI voices, but never really settled on a conclusion. So i was thinking about running it through you guys first.

So, here's what we'll get for new voices:

Pros:
  • more announcements
  • multiple voice types, that could be chosen by the AI player, this includes VOX
    • feminine
    • Masculine
    • Angry
    • nerdy
    • All your base are belong to us
  • Just general higher quality sounds
Cons
  • We'll lose the current AI alert Sound
  • more stuff to download
  • OH GOD IT'S CHANGE, KILL IT
  • It'll be a lot of work (for me)
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: AI voice overhaul.

Post by Saegrimr » #55157

It can't be any worse than when that reverb/echo got added to the current voices. I still can't get used to it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #55160

Wait fuck, get that TTS engine from Moonbase Alpha and just cram that in. 100% done forever.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #55161

JOHN MADDEN is the Captain!
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55166

Saegrimr wrote:It can't be any worse than when that reverb/echo got added to the current voices. I still can't get used to it.
The reverb really kills a lot of the spook from the aimalf.ogg
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #55174

Not like there's much spook, anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #55380

i can convert the Half-life 1 AI voices to .ogg if we really want to go there. But i still like the idea of variety of voice personalities the AI can chose from.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #55386

Give it at least one that sounds like The Many.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55392

Cuboos wrote:i can convert the Half-life 1 AI voices to .ogg if we really want to go there. But i still like the idea of variety of voice personalities the AI can chose from.
Of course, I merely brought it up as a fairly popular addition to the variety of options. It would fit well with one of my AI characters while clashing horribly with others (which would be kinda the point I suppose.)

While we're on the subject, how does vox work exactly? Is it just a collection of words (and letters I assume) with pointers to matching ogg files? If that's the case I could probbaly sitch together something like a glitched/stuttering AI voice.

Something like Murphy's voice from Robocop (the very mechanical and stiff style) would be nice too. Definitely would want to make that one from scratch though.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #55394

On the github download, it's in sound/vox_fem, word for word.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #55409

cedarbridge wrote:

While we're on the subject, how does vox work exactly? Is it just a collection of words (and letters I assume) with pointers to matching ogg files?
yes, each word has it's own .ogg, so that means for VOX, i'm going to have to make each word for each vox
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #55487

You may have an issue with file sizes and such if you create a file for every single vox word in several voices. Now, this would be AMAZING if you had a TTS engine, but if you are making new files for each word, I predict that you will have problems trying to get it merged as you would make the folder five times larger. Do not get me wrong, I want this, but it is something you really want to get planned out in advance with the maintainers.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #55490

if you're wanting different voices, they're going to have to be small lower quality files if you want that merged. However if you want to produce a new standard voice that we can use to make new announcements and such, you'll have more room for file size and quality.
私は完璧
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55491

Remie Richards wrote:if you're wanting different voices, they're going to have to be small lower quality files if you want that merged. However if you want to produce a new standard voice that we can use to make new announcements and such, you'll have more room for file size and quality.
Really, I kinda wish we could use this as an opportunity to reshuffle the words in the vox system. There's a lot that literally never get used and a few words that AIs always want to use but never have. I can't really produce an exhaustive list, but if the reshuffle produces less required words per set that would free up budget for more sets/better quality alts
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #55493

cedarbridge wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:if you're wanting different voices, they're going to have to be small lower quality files if you want that merged. However if you want to produce a new standard voice that we can use to make new announcements and such, you'll have more room for file size and quality.
Really, I kinda wish we could use this as an opportunity to reshuffle the words in the vox system. There's a lot that literally never get used and a few words that AIs always want to use but never have. I can't really produce an exhaustive list, but if the reshuffle produces less required words per set that would free up budget for more sets/better quality alts
We can prune the least used ones yes, that would free up space, but not that much.
私は完璧
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55509

Remie Richards wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
We can prune the least used ones yes, that would free up space, but not that much.
Quarters count when you're on a budget.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #55731

Just for reference, the game is about 110MB and the vox_fem sounds folder alone is about 5MB. Vox files are 1/22 of the entire game. Regardless, I would love more vox voices.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #55752

Cuboos wrote:i can convert the Half-life 1 AI voices to .ogg if we really want to go there. But i still like the idea of variety of voice personalities the AI can chose from.
That would be illegal, and any further discussion on this matter will be deleted.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55753

MisterPerson wrote:
That would be illegal, and any further discussion on this matter will be deleted.
Except its not for reasons you already deleted
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #55758

Ok, let me pull up the exact statement you made:
Literally the only way you'd be "blatantly ripping-off" the Mesa sounds to point of liability would be to just lift the files from the HL1 directory and plop them into a SS13 directory.
So we're in agreement that ripping the HL1 vox sounds out of the HL1 directory isn't ok.

If you want to make new versions that sound similar/practically the same, that's perfectly fine.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55778

MisterPerson wrote:Ok, let me pull up the exact statement you made:
Literally the only way you'd be "blatantly ripping-off" the Mesa sounds to point of liability would be to just lift the files from the HL1 directory and plop them into a SS13 directory.
So we're in agreement that ripping the HL1 vox sounds out of the HL1 directory isn't ok.

If you want to make new versions that sound similar/practically the same, that's perfectly fine.
Which is what I assumed he meant in the first place. Its like you're trying to disagree for the sake of it. Hell, you could alphabet soup the original HL1 sound files and still be free of liability. The only way you'd even be threatened is (as I said) by lifting the files wholesale and dumping them into a directory uncredited. Copyright isn't really as spooky as it sounds.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #55783

Generally so long as you don't directly rip content from a game's files, such as noted above, then there's no real concern about a copyright violation. Essentially if you make/sprite/code/voice your own content, even if its based off of something else, you generally should be fine. Just give it a unique name and not "HALF LIFE VOICE".

Copyright is not a good argument, now having unique content is a good argument.
Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #55796

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... elcome.wav

Played around a bit, how would this sound for an AI personality?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #55803

Cuboos wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/965 ... elcome.wav

What exactly is a station poo? An assistant?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #55868

Must go on the memorable quotes thread.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #55900

It is too grating and difficult to understand. It should sound machine-like, but not overtly so. Think Siri, The HL voice, GLaDOS, or even the current automatic announcement voice.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #55939

Please make a female version
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #56704

Where do we source the words? Sam?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #56809

Pls no. As superb-ai, I make a large effort to speak in the vox syntax outside of binary chat. Don't take away my defining character trait :|
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #56817

Sounds like the AI is a 70 year old ex smoker with a hole in its throat.

I like the voice from the"Wow, this is just like one of my Japanese animes!" (Specifically, animes.ogg). It's clearly not human, but has a bit of emotion to it.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #56820

I have the amusing mental image of there being a whole bunch of choices for soundbanks, simply mechanised voices of a big ol' library of prechosen words recorded in various styles.

Imagine a Vincent Price AI.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #56859

>Not having the voice of bishop from aliens

We need that for an AI voice, hell, you could put Ash in from alien and I'd be happy
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56876

tedward1337 wrote:>Not having the voice of bishop from aliens

We need that for an AI voice, hell, you could put Ash in from alien and I'd be happy
I don't think I could handle hearing vox announcements in that Walken-esq speech pacing.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #57146

Pybro wrote: I like the voice from the"Wow, this is just like one of my Japanese animes!" (Specifically, animes.ogg). It's clearly not human, but has a bit of emotion to it.
Everybody likes that voice, it's the standard for all our AI announcements, the issue is all the details on how to recreate that voice have been lost for quite a long time.
私は完璧