Grand idea for a new map

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Would you like to see a multi Z-level map attempted?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:23 am

Yes, I would like to see an attempt.
19%
17%
17%
No, that's a terrible idea.
8%
8%
8%
Abstain.
No votes
Abstain.
No votes
Abstain.
No votes
HONK
11%
HONK
6%
HONK
6%

Total votes: 36

TwitchTail13
Byond Username: TwitchTail13

Grand idea for a new map

Post by TwitchTail13 » #68130

I have an idea for a new map. It would be a ship, with multiple decks. Bridge at the top, engineering somewhere at the bottom, etc... Each deck would be a separate Z-level. Elevators would be used to go between decks. Step in, close door, move to different deck.

From a code perspective, there would need to be some way of making the ship Z-levels special, compared to the space Z-levels, so that explosions could span multiple decks and so that falling through floors would work correctly. The elevators could work like teleporters, moving you between Z-levels. When an explosion of a certain size is created, smaller explosions on the Z-levels "above" and "below" are created to simulate the effect of a large explosion. When someone steps on a hole between Z-levels, they fall through and appear on the deck below.

Thoughts, questions and insults focusing on my poor writing skills are all welcome. I'm sure there's something I've forgotten, so if you see anything I've missed, please tell me.
Shaps wrote:The fact that you're asking if you need a reason to kill someone is deeply, deeply troubling
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Grand idea for a new map

Post by Saegrimr » #68132

Well, get to mapping.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #68136

idea been had for years
never really worked out great
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #68164

Bombs basically screw up this netire idea, and if there's space -- leaving the station would have 3 different 'space' levels outside the station, which is bad
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #68187

It only works on Bay, sadly. Because DAMN the Luna was sexy.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TwitchTail13

Post by TwitchTail13 » #68218

Judging by your responses, a multi Z-level map would be a coding nightmare.

How would you feel about a single Z-level ship, that can be piloted just like the syndicate shuttle?
Shaps wrote:The fact that you're asking if you need a reason to kill someone is deeply, deeply troubling
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #68220

It would be interesting if you can make it work.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #68236

A station that is a ship and which could be piloted to Z-levels is a really neat idea. Don't think anyone's done more than talk about it before.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #68239

Its not that it would be a hard concept to pull off, its just that it would be a very time consuming one to do. On average it can take up to 20 hours to design and create a map, and we're talking about a very unorthodox map (a ship).
TwitchTail13

Post by TwitchTail13 » #68247

Steelpoint wrote:It would be interesting if you can make it work.
I'd need an explanation of the nukeop shuttle code first. In fact, I'd need an explanation of SS13 coding and it's quirks in general.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #68249

Let's remake the Von Braun
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #68251

Shuttle code was rewritten recently and odds are it might be rewritten again, but fortunately for you the changes means that shuttles are easier to work with.

The long and short of it is that shuttles work by creating a large box over the area you want to be moveable, this is good though it will mean anyone caught outside the ship when it moves will be flung off into space (as it should be).

Once a shuttle has been ordered to move, it will immediently move from its current location to a "transit" zone. Once in this zone it will count down until it reaches its destination, this is essentially moving it to a new Z-Level that shows the background stars moving in the direction the ship is going. By default its five second but this value can be changed to any number you want, you would need to create a entirely new z-level dedicated to this as the ship would take up most of the z-level. Once the time is finished it will arrive at the target destination.

E: Your best bet is just to get a ship design working BEFORE you worry about making it moveable, imo a good start would be sketching (in paint for example) a basic outline of how you want your final map to look like.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #68255

Two things need to be added to make a moving station interesting:
>destructable/ constructable engines that have an effect on the time it takes for a ship to get somewhere
>engine powersources
> :engie:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #68264

Shuttle code currently only shifts shuttle turfs.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman