Space Rome overhaul

A place to record your ideas for the game.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Space Rome overhaul

Post by TheNightingale » #83823

CITIZEN! Before we begin, I must make one thing quite clear!
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS.

The disappointing thing about being a member of the IMPERIAL LEGION... is that there's no armour. Also that your stuff never fits where you want it to.
What we really need... is more Space Rome.

A unique sword and set of armour, as follows:

Code: Select all

/obj/item/clothing/suit/armor/vest/roman
	name = "\improper Roman heavy armor"
	desc = "Segmented armor fitting of a true Legionary."
	body_parts_covered = CHEST|GROIN|LEGS|FEET|ARMS|HANDS
	slowdown = 1
//	icon_state = "We need to sprite it first"
	allowed = list(/obj/item/weapon/tank/internals/emergency_oxygen,/obj/item/device/flashlight,/obj/item/weapon/gun/projectile,/obj/item/ammo_box,/obj/item/ammo_casing,/obj/item/weapon/melee,/obj/item/weapon/restraints/handcuffs,/obj/item/weapon/gladius,/obj/item/weapon/shield/riot/roman,/obj/item/weapon/twohanded/spear,obj/item/clothing/head/helmet/roman)
	armor = list(melee = 60, bullet = 40, laser = 30, energy = 10, bomb = 25, bio = 25, rad = 0)
	strip_delay = 80
	put_on_delay = 60

Code: Select all

/obj/item/weapon/gladius
	name = "gladius"
	desc = "Et tu, Brute?"
	icon_state = "This needs spriting too"
	item_state = "Ditto"
	hitsound = 'sound/weapons/bladeslice.ogg'
	flags = CONDUCT
	slot_flags = SLOT_BELT
	force = 24
	throwforce = 10
	w_class = 3
	attack_verb = list("attacked", "slashed", "stabbed", "sliced", "torn", "ripped", "diced", "cut")

/obj/item/weapon/gladius/IsShield()
	return 1

/obj/item/weapon/gladius/suicide_act(mob/user)
	user.visible_message("<span class='suicide'>[user] is impaling \himself with the [src.name]! It looks like \he's trying to commit tyrannicide.</span>")
	return(BRUTELOSS)
That is to say, a 24 Brute normal-sized sword, which fits either in your belt, or on a suit of Roman heavy armor (not to be confused with 'Roman armor', which is a jumpsuit variant); and that same set of Roman heavy armor, which has minor slowdown (like the riot suit) and a good mix of defenses. Additionally, you can fit your SPACE ROME paraphernalia on it, such as your gladius, spear, shield or Roman helmet.*

*Put the shield on your armour and the sword in your belt, and you can carry a bag or spear on your back too, leaving your hands free for PLACING THAT CRIMINAL SCUM UNDER ARREST.

TL;DR: A proper (and slightly overpowered) gladius, and a set of (slightly overpowered) Roman armour for the exosuit slot.

(People called Romanes, they go to the house?)
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Space Rome overhaul

Post by DemonFiren » #83834

I much prefer a gladius that does 15 brute and is in the costume vendor, coin-locked like the other Roman stuff.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #83835

Quickie placeholder?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #83838

Make laser protection 0, increase melee protection to 70-75.

Roman armor ain't future proof yo
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: ↑Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #83840

Saegrimr wrote:Image
Quickie placeholder?
Yeh, but make this either a light Gladius OR just Roman dagger, at 15 brute. Maybe even a chance of embedding if thrown, along with the sharp flag?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #83842

Fragnostic wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Image
Quickie placeholder?
Yeh, but make this either a light Gladius OR just Roman dagger, at 15 brute. Maybe even a chance of embedding if thrown, along with the sharp flag?
how about we just have it as a 15 brute coin/hack item for the autodrobe and not a snowflake op robust0r weapon
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #83846

I think this just so that admins can spawn Space Rome gear for Space Rome action and RP.
In that case, it should have some nice pieces.
I'd be all for a 15 brute coin/hack item in the AutoDrobe, but I'd also like it to fit in a pocket being that it is a dagger. Maybe admin spawn only? And these Gladius could equate an esword in this scenario, at 24 brute it sounds good. What about 18 brute when holding in one hand, 28 wielded?
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #83848

You can't wield a gladius; it's meant to be used alongside a shield. The idea was mainly so admins could spawn in overpowered Space Romans - a small dagger in the autodrobe would be good too, I like that idea.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #83859

I propose that proper, historically-correct gear (armour as we have it now, 15-damage gladius) be available in the AutoDrobe, and SPACE ROMAN gear (cough, energy gladius, cough) is for events.

I mean, we've had Space Soviets, what says we can't have Space Romans?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #83865

>implying 15 brute is historically accurate for a sword

Why not just

Make the gladius
for events

done
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #83897

24 brute is ridiculous. That makes it immediately the most robust melee item on the station, along with a wielded fire axe. 15 brute is much more in line with the progression of other items. As good as a saw or drill? I can buy that. Better than a knife or a toolbox? Sure. As good as a great big bloody axe? No.

Also, the armour. Bullet=40? Laser=30? That's better bullet protection than the security kit (which has 15). Most things don't have that good bullet protection. Why should a few metal Roman style plates be so bullet and laser resistant?
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #84202

I like the idea of the two-tiered system; in the vendor, locked away by coin or whatever, is some shitty but thematic gear so the clown can run around as Biggus Dickus and demand tribute or something... and when the time comes for real Space Rome events, I can outfit legionaries with stuff that can actually go toe to toe with security or other antag classes.
RIP
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #84203

IMO the armor should be protective against lasers (cause shiny) and brute (cause armor)
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #84204

All special equipment like this that is like made for events or what not, should also be made into a spacesuit like certain clownsuits, pirate suits, and russian suits are. That way we can have space romans.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #84210

SPACE ROME II: HAIL CAESAR

AutoDrobe (requires both hack + coin):
15 Brute 'Pugio'; small item, high embed chance (throwforce 15)
Roman heavy armour (40 Brute, 20 bullet (it's solid metal), 30 laser (SHINY metal), 10 energy, 25 bomb, 25 bio - bulky, slowdown=1, holds Roman paraphernalia)

Adminspawn + Select Equipment menu (Space Roman):
32 Brute 'Gladius'; normal item, knockdown chance, acts as a shield (IsShield() = 1)
Praetorian armor (60 Brute, 40 bullet, 50 laser, 25 energy, 50 bomb, 50 bio, 50 rad, spaceworthy, slowdown=0, holds Roman paraphernalia)
Praetorian helmet (ditto, but a helmet)

Head: Praetorian helmet
Jumpsuit: Roman armor
Pocket 1: Pugio
Pocket 2: Emergency oxygen tank
Exosuit: Praetorian armor
Exosuit storage: Gladius
Ears: Nothing (headsets haven't been invented yet)
Eyes: Nothing (but the helmet gives flash protection anyway because ROMAN)
Shoes: Roman sandals
Gloves: Nothing (Only the IMPERATOR gets gloves, you profligate)
Mask: Security gas mask (HALT HALT HALT)
Left hand: Roman shield
Right hand: Spear
Back: Nothing (Put your spear or shield on it, peasant)
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #84224

For fallout vibes tact on ballistic power fist.
-> Each time you punch someone you fire either a beanbag shell or bucketshot cell into them. Reload and repeat, apply to face for maxium damage.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #84225

"can't wield a gladius"
Uh, while two hands cannot fit on a proper gladius, A common fighting style of the era involved one hand on the sword, and the other on the sword hand, increasing the power, though you didn't get a lever action it didn't matter, gladius were meant to chop shield, but stab people, It's one of the reasons the gladius was so deadly, Much like our modern bullets, it's meant to maim, rather than outright kill, thus burdening your enemy with wounds no surgeon could hope to stitch, until modern medicine anyways.

Either way, can't speak of the brute damage for balance, but if you want a little authenticity, bleeding effects would not go amiss.
Not exactly an expert on roman sword fighting, just what I've read in my pursuit of metallurgical knowledge.

Also, anyone considered pilum? they were pretty much lawn darts with lead to add some heft.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #84267

Pilae were late to the party, but they do sound entertaining.

This, and we could use throwing darts in general.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #84275

The Roman helmets are uncool, the horsehair mohawk shit is teeny and square. I request more gear that goes with the gladiator swag instead.

It's been awhile since I've played, but my biggest issue was having a spear, shield, and wearing a cape/sheet instead of a backpack at the same time. Like SO MANY keep taking my spears man. So yeah, belt-wearable gladius or some kinda shiv or something when. I guess storage is also an issue since doing that means you've only really got pockets, but whatever, I can deal with that, I guess.

improvised armor in general when. I wish to make armor and a crappy sword/a mace/whatever and shield out of sheet metal and become THE GREY KNIGHT.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #84422

Well, I wanted a Larper vending maching right next to the boxing arena, So people could dress up as knights, thieves, wizards and shit.
Even had the sprites, Half of which were good.

Might be a thought to revisit it. Like laser-tag armor, seems fun.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #84630

Falamazeer wrote:Well, I wanted a Larper vending maching right next to the boxing arena, So people could dress up as knights, thieves, wizards and shit.
Even had the sprites, Half of which were good.

Might be a thought to revisit it. Like laser-tag armor, seems fun.
Give sprites and I'll code it. What should it be called?
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #84738

Ye Olde Merchante Shacke?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: ↑Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. πŸ–•πŸ–•πŸ–•
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #84819

You don't actually pay for shit though. How about Ye Olde Armorye ofe Heroese? It'll be funny, because then people can scream that people are raiding the armory.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/