Ventcrawling for traitors

A place to record your ideas for the game.
tempchar1
Byond Username: Tempchar1

Ventcrawling for traitors

Post by tempchar1 » #84214

With the awesome rework of the ventcrawling system, it has added new gameplay mechanics that I think constitute a way for humans to ventcrawl; specifically traitors who order a special syringe filled with structural enzymes that thin the body and allow it to ventcrawl.

The syringe will be expensive, since ventcrawling basically gives you all access without needing an emag or a way to gain illicit access. I would say about 12 TC's, somewhere along that line.

When ordered, a box containing a syringe filled with SE's will be teleported to you. The syringe can be injected into anyone of your choosing. Once injected, the SE's modify the body in such a way that ventcrawling is possible. The modifications include thinning to the body as to allow it to squeeze into a vent. This has the consequence of making the ventcrawler starve more often as the smaller body uses calories more quickly; especially when quickly crawling through the vents. If a ventcrawler is seen without clothes covering his body, people will be able to notice that they seem grotesquely thin for a human being and may catch on to their tricks.

The ventcrawler will also have to be wary, if someone decides to flood plasma onto the station, the ventcrawler will be crawling through vents highly-pressurized with burning plasma. If a hull breach is on the station, the ventcrawler risks shooting himself out of the pipes and into the hullbreach. If a clever pipe engineer tinkers with the pipes, the ventcrawler may crawl into a containment pen full of nitrous oxide.

There may not even be a need for the above events to happen. Simple welding of vents and scrubbers can completely block the ventcrawler out of areas and nullify his ventcrawling completely. This makes it so ventcrawlers can't just escape through perma whenever they want.

There may be a few balance issues that I haven't thought of but I would just love for ventcrawling to be a tool that antagonists can use to be sneaky ninjas and surprise people.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Ventcrawling for traitors

Post by Alex Crimson » #84215

There are already plenty of antags that can ventcrawl. I dont think traitors need to be added to the list, even if it is a very cool feature.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #84228

Alex Crimson wrote:plenty of antags that can ventcrawl
let's count them up
changeling's monkey form, in which it can carry no items and is extremely vulnerable
xenos, which don't really count since they're generally admin events, super rare to begin with, and intentionally very powerful
monkeys in monkeymode, which we don't even use..?

that comes out to 3, but only 1 by technicality
Alex Crimson wrote:plenty of antags
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #84230

Xenos are still antags. The you have the glands from Abductor granting you ventcrawl, Giant Spiders which are never used anymore, and slimes which can be player-controlled. There are plenty of ways to ventcrawl. I dont think we need to add it to traitors just because its a neat mechanic now. Are you going to do the same thing every time some new feature is added?
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #84234

There are actually two levels of vent crawling:

The first is what monkeys have, where they can vent crawl but can't be wearing/holding anything while they do it.

The second is what everything else has, which is where they can just ventcrawl whenever, even if they have the armory on their back.

It's probably ok to let a human do the monkey version, but the unlimited version is INTENSELY powerful in the hands of someone with... well... hands.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #84235

Well it seems kind of silly to disallow carrying all items into a vent. I think a certain size of items should be allowed.

Just the image of a traitor waiting in a vent with nothing but a knife in his hand to ambush someone is a concept I really wanna see.
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #84274

With instant lol teleport ventcrawling it is kinda shitty game mechanic.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #84278

Which we don't have. Anymore.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #84286

Don't forget that the default atmos setup crushes people in the vents!

Which we found out when I bullied RR into mass varediting basil's ventcrawl
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #84339

That's actually not a bad idea (re: last post). Have the enzymes wear off after some amount of time, at which point the tator bursts the pipe if they are in one and takes a great deal of damage. So instead of an instant permanent upgrade, it's more of a quick escape item with the potential to sabotage and/or backfire.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #84341

An implant maybe?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕