Slaughter Demon

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Slaughter Demon

Post by onleavedontatme » #93247

Already coded it, just need sprites/feedback. Currently using the horror sprite from mob.dmi, but I think it could be better. Animations would be nice for the phase effect but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that. Maybe I should just use The Welder or whatever that masked maniac was.

Fluff: A horrible creature from another existence drawn to SS13 by the endless violence, it can use pools of blood as portals to and from our world, sinking/rising out of them. I'm imagining fun shit like a maimed assistant barely getting away and behind a bolted door only to have the monster re-appear from his dripping blood. Spooky horror mode.

Gameplay mechanics: Decently tough simple animal (250 health) that does 25 melee damage per hit. Can alt click on blood pools to enter an infinite duration ethereal jaunt, which it can only exit at another blood pool. Has to eat corpses to recover its health. Killing it yields its still beating heart, which grants that elusive biotech level 8 (or maybe something else could be cool instead, open to suggestions). Has night vision.

Recovers health by pulling a mob while entering a blood pool, which drags it in to be devoured.

Anyway that's it. A spooky monster that will rise out of the floor behind you and make the janitor a hero.

I'd take screenshots but there honestly isn't much to see in still screens. I'll probably commit it tomorrow night.
Last edited by onleavedontatme on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: Slaughter Demon

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #93261

Sounds cool
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #93266

Is it weak to palsma rifle?

Really like this hope we get DOOM the mode some day.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #93292

We're having a trend towards more and more event/side antags.
This is a good thing.
This is a good one to add too, looking forward to it.
私は完璧
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93378

Aside from the permadeath (I'm assuming devoured people can't be cloned) this is pretty cool
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #93380

>HEart has biotech 8

>Can only get biotech 5 without xeno brains
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #93383

You code the coolest shit.

It should probably make some awful slurpy/bubbling sound when it moves via blood-jaunt

Also the Janitor is basically a demon-hunter now. Janiquisition.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93384

Bombadil wrote:>HEart has biotech 8

i know you can get at least to bio 6 with just materials in science, minerals from mining, and a combat shotgun
maybe 7 if you decon the cns rebooter
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93389

Bombadil wrote:>HEart has biotech 8

That's the point. Otherwise it wouldn't be a reward.
Scones wrote:You code the coolest shit.

It should probably make some awful slurpy/bubbling sound when it moves via blood-jaunt

Also the Janitor is basically a demon-hunter now. Janiquisition.
It makes a sloshing noise when it enters/exits blood, as well as one of the hallucination "I'm hereeeeeee" type sounds when it exists the blood pool.

Few things I'm pondering before committing now that I've finished it.

1. Should it have a way to create a blood pool at a large health cost, or should it just be fucked if the station manages to clean everything?

2. Right now it's an admin only event. Should it be possible for the wizard to create them? The catch would be that the slaughter demon gets the objective to kill the wizard (as well as everyone else). You can summon a spooky killing machine but it'd end up stalking you as you fought people.

3. I'm going to let it drag any type of mob into the blood with it, but I'm not sure if humans should be the only one that heal it or not.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93390

PKPenguin321 wrote:Aside from the permadeath (I'm assuming devoured people can't be cloned) this is pretty cool
It could spit out a brain or something or a mangled corpse, but I think it'd be scarier to be threatened with permadeath/people getting pulled down into the blood without a trace (other than the munching sounds which you can hear)
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #93391

It should be allowed to eat any mob via blood dragging, sort of like a spiritual chupacabra.
Hurry up and PR, I want to leer at the code (and it also speeds up the eventual merge because I want so bad, I want sooo bad)
私は完璧
Scones

Post by Scones » #93392

Humans and corgis should be the only mob that heals it.

Allow it to create a pool at a very high cost (≥50% HP)

If we get way more scary monsters, a wizard 'create monsters' thing would be neat
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93397

Remie Richards wrote:It should be allowed to eat any mob via blood dragging, sort of like a spiritual chupacabra.
Hurry up and PR, I want to leer at the code (and it also speeds up the eventual merge because I want so bad, I want sooo bad)
I gotta go read the guide for committing the dme properly since I'm adding new files. Also I need to finish adding it as an event/admin spawning button and then test everything again a dozen times just to make sure. Takes a while for me to code things because I don't really know how so it's usually a lot of guess work and bruteforcing it till it functions. But will be up tonight so you can bully me about code standards.
Scones wrote:Humans and corgis should be the only mob that heals it.

Allow it to create a pool at a very high cost (≥50% HP)

If we get way more scary monsters, a wizard 'create monsters' thing would be neat
My only problem with that is that it could just make blood portals into areas with NPC mobs (kitchen, xenobio, genetics, viro) and just eat monkeys or something to make it a free portal.

Also biggest problem in general with this thing that I can see is the armor thing I've been bitching about. I can't make the melee damage higher without completely fucking up civilian jobs but the monster will more or less tickle someone with armor on.
Scones

Post by Scones » #93399

Check if the blood is human?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93406

Scones wrote:Check if the blood is human?
No I mean if it can force a bloodspot then pop out of it, it can then drag a monkey back in with it to heal.

Unless you mean the "force yourself back into existence" should work without a blood pool at all, which is something to consider.

I think I'll just let em sit if there is no blood. Someone, somewhere, will bleed again eventually, and it will be spooky when they do.
Scones

Post by Scones » #93407

Kor wrote:
No I mean if it can force a bloodspot then pop out of it, it can then drag a monkey back in with it to heal.

Unless you mean the "force yourself back into existence" should work without a blood pool at all, which is something to consider.

I think I'll just let em sit if there is no blood. Someone, somewhere, will bleed again eventually, and it will be spooky when they do.
I mean earlier I said only humans and corgis should heal them

No monkey business
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93409

Scones wrote:
Kor wrote:

I mean earlier I said only humans and corgis should heal them

No monkey business
I wanna eat a cyborg though
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #93410

I like this as an admin spawnable antag. Some folks might be familiar with my Blood God gimmicks where I ominously global narrate things like "Yes....I can smell the warmth...the blood....let it spill....." and "More....more blood....I awake...." then I would spawn a weird looking mob that could only walk on blood to get around. I'd do it as a way to punish the station for not cleaning up blood enough. This is perfect, would love to have people really have some fear about having blood everywhere (and make robusting a blood spammer totally valid).
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #93432

I like it.

There has to be at least one Khorne reference.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #93438

Scones wrote:Also the Janitor is basically a demon-hunter now. Janiquisition.
Mopping the floor with holy water should do something to it, I'm just not sure what.
Remove the AI.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93456

http://www.singulo.io/tg/res/40532.html#q40708

webm

Just going to see how feasible it is to track how many people it devoured for end round reporting and I'll make a PR. Will do so in an hour or two after I'm back from my walk.

Would still like a better sprite/animations though.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93486

qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #93670

What about some greyshirt brigged for breaking window beating himself to summon this stuff to brig? Assistant death cult sacrificing monkeys/ running around bleeding in every important/ public area?
Otherwise it is awesome.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93671

qwert wrote:What about some greyshirt brigged for breaking window beating himself to summon this stuff to brig? Assistant death cult sacrificing monkeys/ running around bleeding in every important/ public area?
Otherwise it is awesome.
If some permabrig prisoner wants to feed himself to the monster I guess that's his deal.

Deathcults would probably be funny the first time and turn into an admin issue after that. Leaving blood trails as a traitor when you know one of these things is active would be a cool strategy though.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #93687

Any other interaction with blood?

Draining blood directly from people? An attack that starts people bleeding? Blood vomit? Human blood bombs?
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93700

Stickymayhem wrote:Any other interaction with blood?

Draining blood directly from people? An attack that starts people bleeding? Blood vomit? Human blood bombs?
Do you take me for a competent coder or someone with an attention span or something?

But yeah maybe it can get more abilities/be more fleshed out later on if the basic idea proves popular.

Also
An attack that starts people bleeding?
30 brute damage melee hits will do that to a person already
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #93765

I figured but it's a bit like a disease. If you kill people so fast they can't spread blood anyway it's going to be counter productive, but bleed with any weapon is still an unreliable RNG element.

A low or even no damage attack that starts someone bleeding badly would be neat I think, and give slaughter demon's something other to do than murderbone. Taxing the station's blood supply seems like it could be fun.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #93768

Stickymayhem wrote:I figured but it's a bit like a disease. If you kill people so fast they can't spread blood anyway it's going to be counter productive, but bleed with any weapon is still an unreliable RNG element.

A low or even no damage attack that starts someone bleeding badly would be neat I think, and give slaughter demon's something other to do than murderbone. Taxing the station's blood supply seems like it could be fun.
Can you even tax the blood supply? I thought cryo just plain replaced your blood

You've got a fair point about burning through your "hosts" too fast.

My only problem with a guaranteed bleed-on-hit attack is that you literally can't get away from it once you start bleeding (unless it lets you).

I think maiming victims and letting them run will be an interesting player strategy though.

Plus you can always spread your own blood to move around in by dragging a victim around to paint as if you were playing super edgy splatoon.

Shit I need to make splatoon mode instead.

Seriously though abilities will probably be cool down the line, plus Remie was suggesting variants as well, and I will probably redo the blood portal thing as a var so we can let any mob do it like ventcrawl.

Remie suggested a stationary one that can only pop up grab, one based on your idea that does almost no damage but causes bleeding to support the main one might be cool as well.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93788

Having nutrition makes you generate more blood (although fairly slowly), actually. Being healed by things like cryo don't fill you with blood (unless goonchem changed it or something). Also, I think blood puddles and pools may be independent of blood in the corpse, but I'm not sure.
Spoiler:
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #93803

Iron also regenerates blood, although it's important to note that both methods are slow as dicks compared to IV.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #94233

In general try to make your outlines darker. The one on the left normal size would be kinda hard to tell ingame. I'm referring to the red part of it.
Hey.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #94260

Remember, you can't have slaughter without laughter.
Mime: Depresso