Literal Map Rotation

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Literal Map Rotation

Post by Incoming » #106542

So we've had some recent work on shuttle code that allows them to change orientation in flight, but there's nothing special that really limits this to just shuttles. Once the shuttle version has its bugs worked out why not go the extra mile and allow the orientation of THE ENTIRE STATION to be randomized at round start?

People have complained that maps go stale, but no matter how many maps you make they all eventually fall to that same boredom. Randomizing orientation essentially turns every map into four map (more if we can also throw mirroring in!). Ask an admin to set your client.dir to 2 some time, it's a completely different station.

The best part is that you could balance just the one version and the other three would remain mostly balanced FOR FREE. Sure there'd be edge cases to fix, and some things REALLY need to look better when facing north, but FREE CONTENT MAN. FREE CONTENT!

Started as a really dumb idea, progressed to a somewhat dumb idea, now verging on what may yet be a decent idea.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Literal Map Rotation

Post by Scones » #106552

Why would I want to be entirely unfamiliar with a station every round?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #106561

People want more map variations apparently, I'm offering an avenue to add more map variations without actually increasing work load for map editors.

THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #106566

Scones wrote:Why would I want to be entirely unfamiliar with a station every round?
What? You don't like mirror tracks in racing games either?
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #106572

Make it so the map rotates in real time :burger: :burger:

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #106590

This works really well wow. Smoothing doesnt work right because MSO reverted that PR but it's not bad
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #106599

I remember one of the other admins did this to a guy we caught streaming to his buddies to fuck with him. Shit was wacky to watch.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #106612

I don't think this is what we meant when we said we wanted variety. It would get really annoying really quickly. Still cool from a technical perspective though.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #106859

Add a console that controls the rotation of the station. Also anyone who's not buckled in gets thrown in the opposite direction the station is turning.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #106958

Jacough wrote:Add a console that controls the rotation of the station. Also anyone who's not buckled in gets thrown in the opposite direction the station is turning.
"BUCKLE IN GUYS WE'RE TURNING THE STATION AROUND TO MINIMIZE DAMAGE FROM THAT METEOR SHOWER"
Why are meteor showers not directional?
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #106964

the way the system would work probably wouldn't make it practical as a mid round thing, have to imagine cataloging the whole dang station and transposing it to new tiles might lag like a bitch. Not something you'd want to do in the middle of a round.

kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #107078

Use the lag as tactical combat advantage
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #107110

Incoming wrote:the way the system would work probably wouldn't make it practical as a mid round thing, have to imagine cataloging the whole dang station and transposing it to new tiles might lag like a bitch. Not something you'd want to do in the middle of a round.
for(var/client/C in clients)

C.dir = turn(C.dir, 90)

#woah
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #107112

The way a lot of the station works means that just dir-ing clients wouldn't be practical, a lot of things look screwy if your dir is wrong. You're talking about moving the eyes in relation to the station, I was talking about moving the station in relation to the eyes.

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #107113

I know, I was being a bit of a dick.

But I do want to support client.dir so if you can compile a list of shit that Goes Wrong, that would be nice.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incoming
Github User

Post by Incoming » #107115

Tiles that do not look right in other client dirs because the icons shown are based off the objective tiling of the station and not a client's dir:

Tables
Rugs
All walls

Things that do not tile correctly because they are hardset to appear in a certain order:

The space station 13 sign above the bridge
The derelict sign
UFO walls
Shuttle walls (I think?)

Things that look weird because they're larger than one tile and thus "hang off the side of the wall" if turned 90 degrees
Bar signs
Station Maps (I think?)

The only way I could see that these things could be allowed to be set by a client's dir is to have a global client.dir and then build everything around that, making sure the players client.dir all match the global. Additionally there's something of a problem of client dirs reseting if the client is ever touched again.

Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #107505

It would be pretty awesome for the station to rotate if for example it was hit by meteors or an explosion while the gravity generator was off.