Kinetic Gel - The spacelube upgrade

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Midaychi
Byond Username: Amidaychi

Kinetic Gel - The spacelube upgrade

Post by Midaychi » #107149

This is a suggestion for a chemical, made from spacelube and some catalyzing plasma against nitroglycerine and sorium. (yes you need to use some stabilizing agent)

The chemical can be used in any way space lube can be used. However, the mechanics are different.

- Spraying it on a surface causes a noticeable decal to appear. Looks sort of gooey and gel-like.
- When a mob enters or is thrown at a tile sprayed with this chemical, they're knocked prone and then applied the same effect as being mass drivered at a decent power in opposite direction they entered from. (And *YES* this includes cyborgs, though they don't get knocked over)
- When an unanchored object enters or is thrown at such a tile, the same effect occurs to the object.

Thus, this becomes 'tactical space lube'. Or at least, 'hilarious gel that launches people across the station'.

Uses:
- Be a clown on a mission
- Pelt people with sharp objects from a distance
- Defeat fluke ops erry day.
- Make that disposals rollercoaster a reality
- Dangerous space travel

It can be cleaned away before it dissipates via diluting it with water, though its only turns it to normal space lube.

----------

Possible additional uses that could be implemented:

- Spray or dump it on an object that can be picked up. From then on until sprayed with water or the effect wears off, any attempts to pick up the object end with the object smacking the person in the face and then flying off. Causes a noticeable change to the world sprite so it's not stealthy, and doesn't prevent pulling.

- Use a beaker of it on a pneumatic cannon or wheeled vehicle or various mechanical engineering machinery to serve as a severe upgrade in their power, in return for making them hilariously dangerous to use.

- Some sort of way to make a 'Potential Gel' using liquid dark matter, that has the exact opposite effect; Stopping things instantly in their tracks, making movement slow, gumming up machinery, and causing objects to stick to hands and be unable to get loose even with disarm or strip.

- Maybe some sort of energy release mechanic people can abuse with potential gel, as it's absorbing kinetic energy. Possibly 'spraying it with water dissipates the potential gel, but causes a sudden huge burst of space wind out from the tile based on how much potential gel reagent was in the decal and how many times it was used'

- Ability to use kinetic/potential gel in tech shells somehow, to make anyone shot with said shells experience sorrow.

- Make the severity of the effect of the kinetic/ potential gel be based on the concentration in the decal. Ie: 5 units would have less effect than say, 50 units.

- Some sort of electroplating process that uses kinetic or potential gel as a reagent, that permanently infuses floor tiles with the property and changes how they look. You can crowbar them back out of the floor after placing, but you have to spray them with water first to create a temporary sealing film to allow you to actually do so. (ie you spray them with water, then crowbar them up)
Last edited by Midaychi on Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
Zaffre
Byond Username: Zaffre

Re: Kinetic Gel - The spacelube upgrade

Post by Zaffre » #107157

Pretty neat idea, reminds me of the film Flubber. I think it would need a lot more balancing for something that powerful though, like maybe making it a traitor items or a ling ability to produce it or even only allowing it to be placed on items, maybe at least make one of the reagents a mining item so you need help from both mining and botany. Otherwise, you could just grow yourself some corn and it could easily be mass produced and suddenly everyone is bouncing off the walls and off each other. It may have an obvious colour but when everyone is yakatysaxing across the station combined with latency everyone is gonna run into it.

E: Some more OP ideas for it could be the ability to spray it on your clothes so if you walk into someone they get bounced and also bullets (and other things thrown at you) would just bounce off you in a random direction if you were being shot, though lasers wouldn't work.
Midaychi

Post by Midaychi » #107158

You can semi defeat it with water by making it plain space lube, just go around with a bucket and a water tank.

I guess making it completely defeatable via space cleaner might make it easier to cope with without making it completely useless?

You could make a traitor kit version of it that comes in a spraybottle and/or grenade, shows up as a clear ooze instead of a blatantly obvious one.
Midaychi

Post by Midaychi » #107159

Also, what (if anything) do you think these gels could/should do if injected/ingested?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #107160

Any blood loss is amplified if injected, speeds up metabolism if ingested
Midaychi

Post by Midaychi » #107161

Takeguru wrote:Any blood loss is amplified if injected, speeds up metabolism if ingested
Nice.
Why not both though? Then it'd be like super hyperzine but it burns your nutrients like a furnace, and if you ever get injured your blood will come flying out like candy out of a Piñata.

Potential gel would be the opposite, where it's like super anti-hyperzine but slows down nutrient burning rate to a crawl, and if you ever get injured you'll have a hard time bleeding to death.

Well, if you could at all. Would be useful medically for slowing bleeding in emergencies anyways. Stick it in a pen with stabilizing health chemicals for a makeshift 'oh god I'm riddled with bullets' kit.
Midaychi

Post by Midaychi » #107165

Combine fliptonium with kinetic gel to get reverse gel? Works like kinetic gel, but you get sent in the opposite direction. Ie if you enter from the west you get drivered back west.
Could be used as part of a construction for replacing the filling of a protective vest, make bullets ricochet back if you hit them in the torso.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #107866

Why do I feel like Super-Lube would just be abused and cause endless chaos?
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
oneechan
Byond Username: MajorAppleSauce

Post by oneechan » #107904

Midaychi wrote:causing objects to stick to hands and be unable to get loose even with disarm or strip.
A black glow surrounds you.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #108056

do we really need "space lube but even more griffy"?

the answer is yes.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #108219

Midaychi wrote:Also, what (if anything) do you think these gels could/should do if injected/ingested?
Makes you sweat a layer of kinetic gel which makes your character super slippery. If people try to grab you it'll just say they can't get a grip on you. You can squirm your way out of restraints in half the time it'd normally take as well. It does come at a cost though. Slipping or otherwise getting knocked down causes you to go flying in whichever direction you're facing until you hit a wall, dealing heavy damage and stunning you for a good period of time.
Midaychi

Post by Midaychi » #108223

Sounds more like !!fun!! than a downside. Sweat superlube, abuse the rest verb to go wheeeeeeeeeesplat. Entire station is a slip and slide.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #108373

yes, if only because we need more things that send people flying

one shudders to imagine the consequences of a smoke or foam grenade with this chemical in it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
rdght91
Byond Username: Roadhog1

Post by rdght91 » #108578

PKPenguin321 wrote:yes, if only because we need more things that send people flying

one shudders to imagine the consequences of a smoke or foam grenade with this chemical in it
If by "shudder" you mean "get hard" then yes.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #108747

Makes me wish there was a bounce mechanic in it too. So that like... you could infinitely bounce off the walls(and take brute damage like normal)
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #108778

Midaychi wrote:Sounds more like !!fun!! than a downside. Sweat superlube, abuse the rest verb to go wheeeeeeeeeesplat. Entire station is a slip and slide.
It's all fun and games until security accidentally crits your greasy ass and you end up dying because you're too slippery to get in the cryotube
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #108804

"Accidentally"
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #108838

Yeah, if someone uses upgraded space lube in an annoying way (and let's be honest, I'm not convinced there's a non-annoying way to use this) they deserve what they get, including savage beatings.