Doctors, Scientists, traitor effectiveness and job merging.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Doctors, Scientists, traitor effectiveness and job merging.

Post by CPTANT » #109667

A long time ago the different scientist jobs of xenobiologists, scientist and toxins got merged into one job of scientist.

This has had a profound impact on the effectiveness of traitor scientists.

The effectiveness a traitor can have on a round is largely determined by his job, while this will always be the case the merging has made scientists a lot more powerful.

They now have more options to wreck the station AND just as importantly: actions can't be pinpointed to one person, as multiple persons have the same access.

current meta has a LOT of traitor impact from scientists. This kinda hides the fact that a lot of jobs have very limited ways to effect the station.

In fact this isn't limited to traitor activity, the merging has made scientists extremely powerful (also: crusher), while a lot of jobs such as cargo have been stale for years and have lost significance.

Another example are the the doctor jobs who are so segmented that it is often instantly obvious who released a virus or made a harmful grenade.

Merging the doctor jobs of chemist, viro and doctor into one doctor job would mean traitor doctors can have more impact on the round.

This would pull the traitor meta a bit away from the endless bombings, golems and mech hordes we have seen over and over again.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Re: Doctors, Scientists, traitor effectiveness and job mergi

Post by Miauw » #109690

this is a pretty interesting idea, actually.
it would probably require a remap of the medbay, though.

(or we could keep the job titles and give all of them all the medbay access)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #109697

Nah, fuck the titles, just open extra doctor slots, Give the doctors new roundstart spawn points in those departments, and make medical doctors have standard access to viro, and chem.

It's pretty revolutionary but it would make it less immediately obvious "CLOWN HAS SPACE LUBE LYNCH CHEMIST!" "HONK HONK HONK LYNCH HONK HONK VIROLOGIST!"
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #109790

Enjoy 8 people being able to go into viro at any time and unleashing space AIDS.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #109794

Wow, I thought this was going into the direction of "divide siencee nerf pls," but I'm pleasantly surprised with this idea. I would love to have more variety in traitor shenanigans, especially from medbay. Only problem I can think up off the top of my head is four people wanting to do viro at the same time, when only one will be able to effectively do anything.
lumipharon wrote:Enjoy 8 people being able to go into viro at any time and unleashing space AIDS.
Yeah, and what if science gets merged? Enjoy 8 death mechs and bombs every round-- oh, hold on, that already happens (and you don't hear people complaining).
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #109795

bombs happen all the time though, and it's awful.

Death mechs actually require research, minerals and robotics work.

Unleashing AIDS requires one guy to do some viro work, and anyone coming in and letting it out everywhere like a dong.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #109796

You're aware that traitor MDs are basically a top tier roll right now, right?

Ikarrus' workplace accidents change heinously imbalanced all of Medbay and I advise you take advantage of it.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #109801

Scones wrote:You're aware that traitor MDs are basically a top tier roll right now, right?

Ikarrus' workplace accidents change heinously imbalanced all of Medbay and I advise you take advantage of it.
Thrown morphine bottles are GGnore tier bullshit.
Scones

Post by Scones » #109803

lumipharon wrote:
Scones wrote:You're aware that traitor MDs are basically a top tier roll right now, right?

Thrown morphine bottles are GGnore tier bullshit.
Morphine, Phlog, throw a krok bottle for instant overdose and addiction and quick as fuck death, etc.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #109830

I've been advocating this for probably a year now, so obviously I support this. Part of the reason it's so hard to kill people is that it's sometimes difficult to get access. Like getting into chemistry right now is very difficult. However, if you just need to get any MD ID, it becomes a lot easier to break in.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #109832

What, all you need is a wrench for the fridge, or any weapon to break a window, to get into chem.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #109842

I meant without raising suspicion from the guy making chemicals and having sec/the AI on your ass before even getting a real chance to kill.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #109854

I can't wait to have 6 people trying to cram into the tiny chemistry office to make space lube and fluorosulph acid while one person actually tries to make medicine
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #109972

Shaps wrote:I can't wait to have 6 people trying to cram into the tiny chemistry office to make space lube and fluorosulph acid while one person actually tries to make medicine
Holy shit can you imagine the standard medical doctor player wandering into viro or chemistry while you're doing something complicated and asking "WHY DOES THIS DISEASE HAVE SNEEZING ISN'T THAT BAD?" or "WHAT'S ALL THIS UNSTABLE MUTAGEN FOR AI HELP CHEMIST IS A TRAITOR!!!"

That said it would be a quality of life improvement for medbay traitors, but they all get access to morphine bottles (and thus neurotoxin from the bar as well), toxin bottles if they want to hack the vendors, Calomel which rapidly reduces people to ~20 health, etc etc. I'm pretty mixed on the issue but I imagine the first time I try to play virology and have people wandering in every fifteen minutes I'll change my tone.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #109992

newfren wrote:
Shaps wrote:I can't wait to have 6 people trying to cram into the tiny chemistry office to make space lube and fluorosulph acid while one person actually tries to make medicine
Holy shit can you imagine the standard medical doctor player wandering into viro or chemistry while you're doing something complicated and asking "WHY DOES THIS DISEASE HAVE SNEEZING ISN'T THAT BAD?" or "WHAT'S ALL THIS UNSTABLE MUTAGEN FOR AI HELP CHEMIST IS A TRAITOR!!!"
The vast majority of times a random chemist now makes chlorine trifluoride or something equally horrible nobody even gives a shit, so I doubt this would be a problem. Also chemists already make unstable mutagen for viro's and botanists, so why would people suddenly start shouting after a merge?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #110000

MisterPerson wrote:I meant without raising suspicion from the guy making chemicals and having sec/the AI on your ass before even getting a real chance to kill.
Yeah, chemistry is surrounded by highly public spaces on all sides, and there'll almost always be somebody inside. It's not the sort of room you can stealthily falsewall into.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Zaffre
Byond Username: Zaffre

Post by Zaffre » #110298

I like the idea but in reality it would just be extra chemistry / virology slots and no one would actually play the role of an MD. Also what about genetics? Should the cloning access part of it be merged in med and the other into science?

Also from an RP perspective, it wouldn't make sense. An MD wouldn't make medicines or research viruses. The scientist merge did make sense because you would still be a scientist doing those jobs (xeno, toxins, etc).
Stan_Studnick
Byond Username: Stan_Studnick

Post by Stan_Studnick » #110462

Yeah, no, keep the separate. All this is going to do is make medbay useless because it'll just be chaos, I actually like having to figure out a way to nab chemist access or virology access so I can get in there. Making it so any medical doctor has that level of access is just going to fuck everything up, it's perfectly fine as it is right now.

Medbay's chaotic enough because it's more or less a public part of the station, people show up and linger in medbay because they can. Medical doctors are there to be a buffer between genetics, virology, and chemistry and the rest of the station. They're likely to catch you and call for help, so the current divisions are fucking perfect and medbay runs exactly as it should Likely what would happen is they'd be more proactive with your break-in and chloral you and then surgically implant a bunch of faggots inside your body before dumping you in the hall naked and "full of faggotry."
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #110464

I agree with the problem, but not the solution.

To be fair, I would be keen to see the proposed change trialled.
Mime: Depresso
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #110468

Maybe merge chemist and MD. Please leave viro seperate. Viro is a solo job. There's no possibility for cooperation in it as there is one machine. People wanting to "help" with viro is going to make the whole thing a shitfest.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #110636

I agree and disagree. Virology is plainly a one-man job, that should be kept seperate. Genetics isn't even part of medbay, so it should stay as it is.

That said, having random doctors butt into chemistry every 5 seconds would drive me frothing insane, I feel.
Scones

Post by Scones » #110639

At this point in time Chemistry having access restricted to only four people (Chemists + CMO + Captain) is the only thing keeping it from being pants on head retarded OP. Which it kind of already is, but if every one of the MDs could come in and in <30 seconds have 3 phlog bottles, gg dude.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #110643

Scones wrote:At this point in time Chemistry having access restricted to only four people (Chemists + CMO + Captain) is the only thing keeping it from being pants on head retarded OP. Which it kind of already is, but if every one of the MDs could come in and in <30 seconds have 3 phlog bottles, gg dude.
How many murders do you see committed with phlog?

How often do you have the feeling you get fucked over by chemistry apart from space lube?
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #110651

We already have something very similar as a server config option. At the moment, jobs have increased access (Jobs within departments share access) when the server population is low. This automatic toggle can be disabled and we can force it to be always on.

For example, scientists and robotics will share the same access. The only difference is where you spawn and what you spawn with, as well as a job title.

If you guys wanted to actually try this out we can do that easily. Just poke your head admins (or any code-savvy admin for a single round event).
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #110655

Xenobio has been part of science since before it actually existed (when it was a pen with a placeholder metroid that couldnt do anything and a note promising updates).
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #110700

Fuck you guys and your job merging. The main reason i hate playing Science is because of that bullshit. People just run into your workplace and start messing with your stuff, or at roundstart there are arguments as to who works where.

All jobs should be separated.