Escape Shuttle Engine computer

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Escape Shuttle Engine computer

Post by Helios » #132192

This is a random idea, but what about an Escape Shuttle engine console in the aft of the ship, in the cargo section
The engine computer would have a few interactions
If upgraded with an upgraded board from R&D (the specific requirements can be hammered out), it will half the shuttle duration to get to Centcomm, turning a 2 minute trip into a 1 minute one. If upgraded midflight, it haves the remaining time, so if it is 30 seconds left, it halves it to 15.
It can also be emagged, prior to the flight and during the flight. If it is the prior, it adds 2 minutes to the time it takes for the shuttle to launch, to resolve engine errors.
If it is emagged midflight, it destroys an engine, doubling the remaining time on the flight, and exploding the far right engine in medical section, hurting anyone in the room.

The idea is as a traitor you can shorten the shuttle, but not make it take longer, this allows you to do that. It also allows shorter flight duration for crew, to stop midflight shuttle antics.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: Escape Shuttle Engine computer

Post by Gun Hog » #132232

I find this tasty!
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Post by Marflow » #132236

I like most of that but the explosion bit seems a bit excessive, there tends to be all too much explosions on the escape shuttle alongside all the griff. The upgradable part could be some scifi jargon engine part that can be upgraded with R&D parts or it could even be c4'd.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #132265

sounds like a good idea to me, though it does seem like it would have far more benefits to traitors than to normal players. in a somewhat similar vein, we should make shuttles constructable since engines are basically just for show right now. dunno how we'd implement but it'd make spess exploration better than just rng.

maybe ill make a separate thread about it later.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #132801

Should make it so you can C4/break/blow up the shuttle engines.
If the crew repairs it (somehow), good for them
If they can't, gives everyone 10 minutes to get to the pods before the pods leave stranding anyone left on the station
Or the shuttle could take like 10 minutes to get to centcom
shuttle griff all day long :)
Besure to pack extra cleaner grenades!
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #132809

I don't think constructable shuttles are compatible with how the shuttle currently works, in that it's a specific set of tiles that teleports between various set locations.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #132811

Jacquerel wrote:I don't think constructable shuttles are compatible with how the shuttle currently works, in that it's a specific set of tiles that teleports between various set locations.
Pretty damn sure shuttles work via docking ports now. How did you think sticky crashed the shuttle into the bridge all those times?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #133002

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Jacquerel wrote:I don't think constructable shuttles are compatible with how the shuttle currently works, in that it's a specific set of tiles that teleports between various set locations.
Pretty damn sure shuttles work via docking ports now. How did you think sticky crashed the shuttle into the bridge all those times?
I will tell you I saw a bug where singulo sucked a docking port out
Shuttle docked INSIDE the asteroid.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #133043

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Ok, in that case it's a specific set of tiles that teleports between various mutable locations :P
That doesn't change the key point that the shuttle itself is a pre-defined area of the map that is just pasted elsewhere as necessary.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #133054

>engines are basically just for show right now. dunno how we'd implement but it'd make spess exploration better than just rng.

The shuttle system has template code for this, where engines to mass ratio change the transit speed and what not.

>That doesn't change the key point that the shuttle itself is a pre-defined area of the map that is just pasted elsewhere as necessary.

No it isn't.

Shuttles are done via bounding boxes in the docking port, it's literally a number of x tiles wide, y tiles high, offsetted by x and y tiles from the position of the docking port obj.

These are variables that can be changed and created easily.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #133063

Are they? Well consider me corrected, that's good news.
I figure a constructed version would be fairly open to dangerous things, but possible then.
adrix89
Byond Username: Adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #133071

Forget about upgrades.

The shuttle blows up when it is en route from centicom and you are stranded and have to build it from scratch.

FUND IT.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133206

The big problem with this is it means you can red alert a shuttle in with a 5 minute duration, then upgrade it making it a 2.5 minute shuttle call with a roughly single minute window to recall. Given that by the time the shuttle is called first (40+ minutes in), R&D is basically maxed and usually is going around RPEDing everything, it makes it, in a word, bullshit for any antagonist. A gang boss would barely even be able to recall the shuttle in time, even, and that's remotely.

The benefit for traitors is very minor, and the midflight usage can only be used by traitors that maroon themselves, almost always failing their objectives.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #133209

Amelius wrote:The big problem with this is it means you can red alert a shuttle in with a 5 minute duration, then upgrade it making it a 2.5 minute shuttle call with a roughly single minute window to recall. Given that by the time the shuttle is called first (40+ minutes in), R&D is basically maxed and usually is going around RPEDing everything, it makes it, in a word, bullshit for any antagonist. A gang boss would barely even be able to recall the shuttle in time, even, and that's remotely.

The benefit for traitors is very minor, and the midflight usage can only be used by traitors that maroon themselves, almost always failing their objectives.
How would you be able to upgrade the shuttle on its flight to the station from Centcomm, unless you had teleported to Centcomm?
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133276

Helios wrote:
Amelius wrote:The big problem with this is it means you can red alert a shuttle in with a 5 minute duration, then upgrade it making it a 2.5 minute shuttle call with a roughly single minute window to recall. Given that by the time the shuttle is called first (40+ minutes in), R&D is basically maxed and usually is going around RPEDing everything, it makes it, in a word, bullshit for any antagonist. A gang boss would barely even be able to recall the shuttle in time, even, and that's remotely.

How would you be able to upgrade the shuttle on its flight to the station from Centcomm, unless you had teleported to Centcomm?
Oh sorry, I misread the idea. I r an idiort, please kill me.